The most overused and the most underused faction

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Superking

Re: The most overused and the most underused faction

Post by Superking »

Overused: Rebels- elves and archers are appealing concepts to noobs in the same way snipers and ninjas are.

Underused: Drakes- playing them well requires very different stratergies to those of the other races, and they are very unforgiving if used incorrectly.

When hosting games, I find around 1/3 joiners choose rebels if they dont choose random.
lover de wesnoth
Deki

Post by Deki »

I like to play Drakes and Northerners the most, for me they are the most interesting factions to play with. Other than that Knalgans and Undead are interesting too. I rarely play rebels or loyalists.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

When I started playing multiplayer, I mostly used elves or loyalists. Now, I always choose random just so I can learn to play with all factions. It's more challenging and imo is better on how to learn to be a 'better' player. Still lose tons of games but I'm getting better because you need to understand each strenght and weakness of the factions and units.

Most underused would be either Drakes or Knalgans.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
noise

Post by noise »

Kinda strange. I tend to find loyalists, Khalgans and Rebels (to a lesser extent) harder to play than Undead, Drakes and Northerners. While the former group might have simpler themes, the strengths and weaknesses (i.e. counters) of Undead and Drakes seem much more pronounced and Northerner units are generally cheap and cheerful and just seem to gel really well.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone choose to play Drakes. Except myself - I use them far more than any other default faction...one day I might even learn to play them properly!
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

The_Other wrote:I don't think I've ever seen anyone choose to play Drakes. Except myself - I use them far more than any other default faction...one day I might even learn to play them properly!
When stuff gets serious, I generally choose drakes (or undead)! Everyone else just seems weak.
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

Overused: Rebels, and to a lesser extent Loyalists.
Underused: Drakes, of course.
Personally, I like playing Drakes, they're unforgiving, but you can do some awesome things with their mobility. Still not great at it though :)

(one of the best MP battles I have ever had was when a Rebel player spammed Woses at me :lol2: )
UndeadRussian

Post by UndeadRussian »

I don't see a lot of people playing Drakes, alest not on purpose. Most common i see being played are Rebels and Loyalists.
IK_German

Post by IK_German »

I too saw a lot of rebels lately. dwarves are quite often, too, especially in Isar's cross.
Drakes and Undead are distributed fairly.
Rarely seen Northerns or Loyalists.

I myself like to play random (best for greater skill) or undead. (I just love the concept of necromancy. :twisted: )