Considerate Dead

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tribes45

Considerate Dead

Post by tribes45 »

Hello, Tribes here.
I've just now posted my Campaign, Considerate Dead.
This is the forum page where I wish to here feedback about that campaign.
But please read what's stated below.
This is my first legit campaign I've coded, off my own maps etc. I'm really new at WML, and have just began to learn how to use variables in events, and I'm not that good at WML. Please don't expect an amazing campaign, that's made out too perfection. I know, the storyline is a bit childish, this may be because I'm still a child, in my teens. :)
Please report any bugs you have on this forum page, or private message me with the subject being "Bug".
Thank you.

Currently, theres only four playable scenarios.
None of these, which are complete. I still wish to enhance these with exciting events and an interesting plot.
Current version is:

A lot of people have helped me in the making of this campaign, and I thank them for that. But theres one main guy, who's helped me a lot. Adamant14.

And Skyone helped me through making my first scenario, Thanks dude.\

This was made and based of an OS-Windows Xp, SP3.

I try my best to make Decently-Detailed maps. Sorry if you find them plain, I'll try to add more detail to them in the near-by future.

Notes:
Spoiler:
#####################
0.06 - Based of suggestion changed units of the enemy - He can now recruit swordsman and mage. But no Pikeman. -Changes made Scenario 1, on the difficult side, when I believe Their suppose to be easy the first time, so I added two wraiths at the beginning to assist you.
#####################
0.07 I'm going to attempt to organize scenario 2 Bloomingevents. Hes mentioned that there's too many units, and I completely agree with him. (May I also mention all custom units are without there own sprites, but they soon will have there very own.) And I plan to finish scenario 4.
####################
0.08 Is 50% done I believe, scenario 5s base has been completed.. I've got no feedback to make my campaign off of, so I'm doing it on how I like it, Scenario 4 is kinda messy right now. It's more of a "JUST ATTACK!" mission... I need to find a way to make it more stragetic.
####################
0.09 was a quick base on balancing scenario 5. :)
I've added Royal Iron Maulers (No new sprites yet, for any units.) Diff is there neutral, deal +2 more average damage, woodland walk and have marksman. :)

Campaign construction has been continued
Last edited by tribes45 on April 24th, 2012, 10:02 pm, edited 14 times in total.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
J-bros

Re: Considerate Dead

Post by J-bros »

I like the premise of this, a necromancer with a conscience. You ought to explain why he's a nice necromancer (a backstory before the first scenario will do)

The first scenario is a bit easy; the only units the loyalists have are longbowmen and pikemen, which do virtually no damage to skeletons. I think I lost something like 2 skeletons while upgrading 5 of them to revenants. One of the loyal skeletons says something about recruiting ogres because they are tough; either don't have it say this or give the loyalists some different units to contend with that the ogres would be more useful than skeletons against.

I'm not sure if you have planned scenarios between your 1st and 2nd one, but I think it would be worth it to have at least once scenario that graduates the small force that you have by the end of the 1st scenario to the monstrous force that you have at the beginning of the second.

Looks good so far, the maps are excellent, but the balancing needs a bit of work.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

J-bros wrote:I like the premise of this, a necromancer with a conscience. You ought to explain why he's a nice necromancer (a backstory before the first scenario will do)

The first scenario is a bit easy; the only units the loyalists have are longbowmen and pikemen, which do virtually no damage to skeletons. I think I lost something like 2 skeletons while upgrading 5 of them to revenants. One of the loyal skeletons says something about recruiting ogres because they are tough; either don't have it say this or give the loyalists some different units to contend with that the ogres would be more useful than skeletons against.

I'm not sure if you have planned scenarios between your 1st and 2nd one, but I think it would be worth it to have at least once scenario that graduates the small force that you have by the end of the 1st scenario to the monstrous force that you have at the beginning of the second.

Looks good so far, the maps are excellent, but the balancing needs a bit of work.
I completely agree with you, thanks for the feedback.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
J-bros

Post by J-bros »

you're welcome :D
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Man, are you the only one who got my campaign? o,o
J-bros

Post by J-bros »

I would keep plowing ahead rather than wait for more comments, I'll see what I can do to help in the meantime
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Thanks, I've actually been working on it, I've got to delete that. I felt scenario 4 was a bit unbalanced, so I added more events.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I'm going to get it sometime, but I generally prefer getting campaigns when they're in a more complete state so I can play through several scenarios in one play through.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

0.08 has been released.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

0.9 has been released First post for information.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Tried it on 1.9.14 ..... it crashs. Shame, I like scenarios with alternate necromancers and we need more undead campaigns
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

@tribes

the game crashes because the [objectives] tag is redoubled in scenario 05 line 299 and 301.
Please fix that, or then the campaign will not load.

:)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Well I managed to play it by downloading Wesnoth 1.10.2.

The writing has some interesting points but the prose and dialogue is sometimes a little off and its riddled with typos. Read over your script again, slowly. Its an interesting touch he names his undead units, but it makes no sense they have names like Sam etc. They should probably have elf names or such. For the guards you haven't named, randomly generate some elf names.

You go a bit overboard with the super units (how many lv8s?!) and such, and it seems odd your a super elite necromancer(And everything else....) but cant recruit a full range of undead units. It also seems odd he doesn't try to find some other elves to help him and that he suddenly has ogres and wolves at the start of the scenario. WOuld probably be more fun to build up other undead units anyway.

First scenario is way too easy and the long maps make it drag on a bit. Had a look at the second scenario and decided just to debug ahead and see what you had done (also wasnt in a mood for another long, drawn out battle).

Big maps are not inherently superior to small maps.

Storywise it could be interesting, though I'm not sure how your going to write around how a lv5 super necro ultra mage would affect the events of HTT, unless you either bump him off or become a hermit.

Edit: You might want to check this out http://www.catb.org/~esr/wesnoth/campai ... omposition
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

WanderingHero wrote:Well I managed to play it by downloading Wesnoth 1.10.2.

The writing has some interesting points but the prose and dialogue is sometimes a little off and its riddled with typos. Read over your script again, slowly. Its an interesting touch he names his undead units, but it makes no sense they have names like Sam etc. They should probably have elf names or such. For the guards you haven't named, randomly generate some elf names.

You go a bit overboard with the super units (how many lv8s?!) and such, and it seems odd your a super elite necromancer(And everything else....) but cant recruit a full range of undead units. It also seems odd he doesn't try to find some other elves to help him and that he suddenly has ogres and wolves at the start of the scenario. WOuld probably be more fun to build up other undead units anyway.

First scenario is way too easy and the long maps make it drag on a bit. Had a look at the second scenario and decided just to debug ahead and see what you had done (also wasnt in a mood for another long, drawn out battle).

Big maps are not inherently superior to small maps.

Storywise it could be interesting, though I'm not sure how your going to write around how a lv5 super necro ultra mage would affect the events of HTT, unless you either bump him off or become a hermit.

Edit: You might want to check this out http://www.catb.org/~esr/wesnoth/campai ... omposition
I think the same about my Dialog and such, and I know what to do to make the map intresting, and I'll try to make shorter maps, but I plan to add certain items on the ground, as an alternative objective too get too. In this campaign Necromancers can only resurrect who they kill, in other words, they kill a Swordsman, they can spawn a Skeleton. I plan to nerf him by lowering his health points and that alone. Hes going to be a powerful Wizard yet be vulnerable to attacks. And in my opinion {lvl 8} The level really means nothing, you can always look at the statistics of the unit.
I'll try to do better, this is my first WML project.

Truth be told I think my Scenario 1 is very borring, and I plan to enhance it soon enough believe me, Adamant has been lending me a helping hand, and I'm sure he can help me with my objective of swords for instance on the map.