Possible Contributor - Needs Software Recommendations.

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Possible Contributor - Needs Software Recommendations.

Post by dipseydoodle »

Not many of you know I'm sure, but I perform in 2/3 bands and am actually picking a up 4th one soon. I am really wanting to record some tracks for use in mainline and or UMC, I have several instruments ranging from stringed (Guitar (Ovation Celebrity), Electric Guitar (Epiphone SG) Mandolin (Epiphone A style), Bass (Hofner B-Bass), uke (Yahmaha)) to some native-american crafted wind instrument (not sure who made it - it was a gift) Not that the instrument brands matter but I am looking for a relatively reliable recording software for intel mac (10.6) a is similar to Garage Band (loops not needed) and that is free (GPL'd?)

If you can help with this I'd be very grateful, I already have one song that I think could be used for a battle song, however I lack the software. I also have a USB Keyboard so if the software has USB/Midi suport and not just microphone or whatever, it would be a bonus.

Thanks.
Dugucloud

Re: Possible Contributor - Needs Software Recommendations.

Post by Dugucloud »

What's your sound card? AC97 or ASIO?
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

It appears that MacBook's sound card is built directly into the motherboard from what I have researched. It seems to somebody was interested in developing audio like me and asked over the Apple help forum so really I can't answer that myself. it also seems that the sound card can't be changed...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

dipseydoodle wrote:I am looking for a relatively reliable recording software for intel mac (10.6) a is similar to Garage Band (loops not needed) and that is free (GPL'd?)
Have you tried Apple's Logic Pro software yet? It's definitely not free, and certainly not open source, but my brother uses Logic Express 9 (which he got for about $200 US) for MIDI composing, and he says it's far superior to anything else he's tried. There's also Logic Pro, which is more updated and supposedly has better/more professional features compared to the (now extinct Express edition, that is), and is available on the Mac App Store for $200 US (pretty good considering it used to be more than twice that prior to the launch of the App Store). The price might be a turn off, but it's essentially a much better version of Garageband that allows you to do a lot more in the way of recording/mixing/mastering, so it might be worth the investment if you're serious about recording.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Thanks for the recommendation. My question though, is if you can release what you created under GPL or whatever else.