Walk in the Shadows campaign (for BfW 1.10.1)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rogo

Walk in the Shadows campaign (for BfW 1.10.1)

Post by rogo »

Hi folks,

this topic is about my SP "Walk in the Shadows" campaign about a youth, Andreas, who leaves home because of family issues. It's an adults only story like it was never told in the wesnoth universe. Please don't download and play this campaign if you're underaged. There are currently 10 scenarios, of which 5 are dialog/story only. I used the BfW engine as a platform for an audio-visual story, so the campaign is story driven and not much about strategy/tactics. This is currently starting to change a bit. The last scenario is the first seriously about tactics.

The campaign is done until scenario "Defending Shadow Town". I'm planning to develop more scenarios. If you want to continue the campaign after I published new scenarios, you should manually save the game at the end of the last scenario. As soon as I update the campaign with a new scenario, you'll be able to continue from there on.

Required Wesnoth version: 1.10.x (tested only on 1.10.1 so far)

Current campaign version: 0.2.1 beta

Known issues:
- scenario 6 (hunting scene) animal behavior still doesn't work as intended
- some minor issues with scrolling and terrain uncovering in some scenes
- still using the deprecated "flower flat" terrain instead of the flower overlay in maps

Campaign author: rogo

Credits:
- used and edited artwork and code of Rogue/Shadow mages from BfW 1.8 Liberty (by scott)
- used and edited code for moving of NPC's from "Invasion from the Unknown" (by shadowmaster)
- used Rabbit, Woman and Peasant Child units from "Anya of Wilshire" (by Desert Shyde)
- Quintain unit from "Between the Worlds" (by markm)
- Caravan unit from "Flight to Freedom" (by MadMax, Nova)
- Ram, Tusker, Tusklet units from "RPG Creation Kit" (by Bob_The_Mighty)
- code and artwork from the mainline

The campaign is downloadable from the add-on server.

If you like or don't like my campaign, please feel free to tell me about it. :-)

Regards, rogo
Last edited by rogo on April 26th, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Walk in the Shadows campaign (for BfW 1.10.1)

Post by Iris »

I have added some visual emphasis on the mature subjects warning in your first post, but you are also required to add a similar (or in fact, more) prominent warning to your add-on’s description for the server in accordance with our rules; you can change the current one in the .pbl file and then reupload accordingly.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
rogo

Post by rogo »

Right, I forgot to also add the warning to the pbl description. Done. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards, rogo
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

This particular "adult warning" made me check it out ^_^ (though I usually code wesnoth rather than play it).
There are books with stories like that, so why not.

In that hunting scenario you may want to reduce the number of those animals, since the player spends much time watching them just move.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
J-bros

Post by J-bros »

I haven't played the entirety of the campaign, but i agree with anonymissimus. The hunting scenario is a bit clunky, for the reason above, and also, I kept getting swarmed by bunnies that were too afraid to attack me. If possible, I would suggest modifying the ai of the bunny team to be a little more fearful of you and the other animals.
moony

Post by moony »

Hey,
first i would say nice idea, this story is new to me in Wesnoth universe like you said.

But ive problems with it. After "An new dawn, a new beginning" it says "unknown scenario: 10_defend_shadown_town".
What to do? I have UMC music. Using version 1.10.1 of Wesnoth
Unsere Taten bestimmen wer wir sind, nicht unsere Worte.
rogo

Post by rogo »

Thanks for your feedback. :-)

@ Anonymissimus & J-bros
I already fumbled around quite a lot with the §$%& animal behaviour. To tell you the truth: This particular scene didn't turn out as what I had in mind. - I'm going to upload a new version with less animals and tweaked ai values hopefully improving gameplay.

@ moony
The next scenario is simply not done yet. If you want to continue, you should save the game at the end of scene "A new dawn, a new beginning". As soon as I update the campaign with the new scenario, you'll be able to continue from there on.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

I really enjoyed this campaign and I can't wait for future updates, keep up the great work and storyline.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
rogo

Post by rogo »

I uploaded a new version updating the hunting scenario. I reduced the number of animals. I have an idea concerning the "swarming rabbits issue". It would be a workaround, but I had no chance to implement it yet.

@ tribes45
Thanks for your positive feedback! I'm glad there's someone who actually likes my work. :-)
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I tried the campaign, but after the scenario with quintains the game froze and refused to respond, so there might be a bug in the next scenario. I tried to look into the .cfg file but found no obvious reason. Did it happen to anybody else?
rogo

Post by rogo »

Telchin, I never experienced this issue. Is it reproducible? Do you use 1.10.1 or 1.10.2? I never tried the latter.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I tried again and it looks like it works now :) Weird (it didn't work first two times). I use 1.10.0 so maybe there is some problem between 1.10.0 and 1.10.1

EDIT: btw, is the mentor shadow mage suppose to be the same guy as in Liberty? If yes, then he should be Helicrom, not Halicrom (also the 1.10 version of Liberty gives him updated portrait)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I played your campaign, albeit being underaged, but I like campaigns that prevent me from playing them. Good story and dialogue.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
rogo

Post by rogo »

@ Telchin
I never tested with 1.10.0, so this version may be the issue.

When I started the campaign, I thought the mentor may be the same as the shadow mage in Liberty. But now I think Halicrom is different in character from Helicrom. Just think of them as brothers. ;-)

I don't like the new graphics. Therefore I'm gonna stick to the old ones for now.

@ Lord-Knightmare
Thanks for your feedback. - Of course, since you are underaged, I have to discourage you from playing my campaign. I can not prevent you to do so, though.
Last edited by rogo on April 17th, 2012, 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
rogo

Post by rogo »

I uploaded the new version 0.2.0 beta to the add-on server. This version includes a new scenario ("Defending Shadow Town") and a few dialog corrections/enhancements to previous scenarios.