Zero's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Zerovirus's Art

Post by homunculus »

Zerovirus wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about, and the difference between 1 and 2 seems ridiculously negligible to my eyes.[...]
I am "officially surprised" now. To me (1) looks like a ball, but (2) looks like (4).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

However, when we draw spheres the only thing we can see of the sphere is the half facing the camera, which does indeed render as a hemispherical dome. The only difference between your image 4 and a hemisphere dome is the depth of the dome, really- so again I say that there's really negligible difference.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Zerovirus wrote:[...]negligible[...]
makes me wonder how you noticed it in the first place, then (the same quote about the shadows and midtones in wesnoth sprites).

For metal colors I watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo72dL7uDuc, and I like the miner's pick shading from 'The Sceptre of Fire'.
And, as it seems to be incompatible with almost everything that I see in wesnoth, so I cannot comment much here.

There was an experiment I did with speculars, used a layer to draw the specular in pure solid white, adjusted the layer's transparency, and I was positively surprised at the result.
I mean, it was not some super bright point specular that fades into surroundings with a gradient, but rather like they do those glossy buttons in GUIs.
I thought of doing some more experimenting with that, probably the scorpion would be a good model, and then I might also have some comments.
Attachments
specular.png
specular.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hello, just drop in and wanna say that there is a lot of wonderful stuff in this thread.
and it may (very likely) happen that some of this stuff is used in my next map :whistle:

anyway this thread is a great source for umc stuff -

and i love the new scorpion
i guess now i can finally include scorpions in my maps.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Not exactly my most well-drawn work in composition and palette terms but w'evver.
Attachments
laziest_demons_ever.PNG
laziest_demons_ever.PNG (4.61 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Need some baddies for a campaign? Writing a faction involving eldritch or mutagenic forces? Want to surprise those who play your UMC? Look no longer!

Now, with the Mutant Spearman, you can really give your players a surprise! Set them up in a custom faction as a bait-and-switch normal spearman which upgrades into a horrific monstrosity of an lv2, or code them into a campaign so that after a certain event all of your enemy's mundane troops turn into these Things Which Should Not Be, shocking the socks off of your unwary, computer-bound prey!

Don't delay- add these units to your project today!
Attachments
Mutant_Spearmen.PNG
Mutant_Spearmen.PNG (6.58 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
Silence

Post by Silence »

Lol, nice advertisement. It makes me think of some strange Zerg/Flood hybrid.

Will the mutant spearman be teamcolored?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Zerovirus wrote:Don't delay- add these units to your project today!
I added it to NX-RPG (my campaign) :mrgreen:
irc://freenode/wesnoth-umc-dev wrote:[19:52] CIA-16 wesnoth-umc-dev: vultraz * r14300 /trunk/NX-RPG/images/units/monsters/Mutant_Spearman.png: NX: added image for the Mutant Spearman (made by Zerovirus, borrowed from his forum thread)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

So I drew a weird painting-blocking-thing and then I decided to turn it into a sprite. Said sprite is one of my most cluttered designs ever (and also about 3-4 pixels too tall for wesnoth) but whatever.
Attachments
Samsara.PNG
Samsara.PNG (4.74 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
samsara.png
francophone

Post by francophone »

excellent. But I allowed myself to change three details.
Is it better, or do I misunderstood.
Attachments
Samsara.psd
(19.12 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Samsara.gif
Samsara.gif (1.97 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Zerovirus wrote:Need some baddies for a campaign? Writing a faction involving eldritch or mutagenic forces? Want to surprise those who play your UMC? Look no longer!

Now, with the Mutant Spearman, you can really give your players a surprise! Set them up in a custom faction as a bait-and-switch normal spearman which upgrades into a horrific monstrosity of an lv2, or code them into a campaign so that after a certain event all of your enemy's mundane troops turn into these Things Which Should Not Be, shocking the socks off of your unwary, computer-bound prey!

Don't delay- add these units to your project today!
Oh no! The flood have reached wesnoth, all is lost!
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Ooh, I have the perfect place for that mutant thing! Can I use it?
Timshel
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

uncleshelby wrote:Ooh, I have the perfect place for that mutant thing! Can I use it?
The whole point of the mutant was for people to use it- I certainly don't have any specific use for it myself :P

Now for a video-game mockup!

fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Zerovirus wrote:A few small doodles. (Has anyone thought about replacing that old Scorpion image? Seriously, that baseframe could definitely use a revamp.)
Hi Zerovirus, please make a thread in "Art Contributions" for the Scorpion image.
I fear it won't get noticed inside this subforum.
BioHazardX

Post by BioHazardX »

Zerovirus you are damn good! I like very much your works, keep them.