Wesnoth wont start up

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
tribes45

Wesnoth wont start up

Post by tribes45 »

Operating system, including its version: Windows Xp, SP3
Version of Wesnoth, including the configured language.: 1.10.1

Wesnoth won't start up, I'll click open but it won't open. It just started this this morning o.o

Oh and, I go to the main Wesnoth Directory, and open wesnoth.exe, it works, but I have none of my add-ons, and or saved games.

EDIT:
Windows Live updates messed it up, it changed wesnoth's derictory some how, but I fixed it, thanks to you guy's help thx.
Last edited by tribes45 on April 14th, 2012, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
Drejk

Re: Wesnoth wont start up

Post by Drejk »

Was there any Windows XP update recently? I had a Windows 7 Home update last night - Wesnoth does not start itself afterwards (but I haven't run it for about a week or week and half so there might be another cause).
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I had that problem before, downloaded newest wesnoth version instead then, that works
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Yes I've downloaded the newest updates recently ;P

-------------------
I'll download the newest version aswell, and update you then. :)
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Okay, I reinstalled and upgraded to .2 but It STILL WONT start!
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

OK. First, open a command prompt. I believe you can do this by pressing Windows Key+R, then typing cmd and pressing enter.
Next, cd into the install directory. If you installed with default settings, you should type "cd C:\Program Files\The Battle for Wesnoth\", then press enter.
Then type wesnoth.exe. show us the output of that.

Please note that I don't use Windows XP, and this is all from memory, so it could be wrong.
Timshel
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

uncleshelby wrote:Then type wesnoth.exe. show us the output of that.
I think it won’t provide any, since SDL’s custom entry point on Windows redirects stdout and stderr to stdout.txt and stderr.txt respectively. Of course, we all know where to find those (last section), right? (Right?)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Erm. Yeah, I totally forgot that it's a sterr.txt file on Windows. Yeah. Forget that.
Timshel
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Okay, I opened the stderr.TXT and it states this:
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I suggest you move, rename or delete the preferences file then.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

shadowmaster wrote:I suggest you move, rename or delete the preferences file then.
Okay, I can open wesnoth.exe, but Cant load any of my saved game, I don't need to update to .2, I just want my saved games. Is it possible to still play these??
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sure, if you can find your old saves/ directory (which is in the old preferences directory) and move it to the new preferences directory.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

shadowmaster wrote:Sure, if you can find your old saves/ directory (which is in the old preferences directory) and move it to the new preferences directory.
Thanks. :)

Okay, I've decided to stick with .1, but I still have the same issue of it not being able to find my saved files, Where can I move them? I can't find the other prefence der,