Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign art - Sceptre of Fire

Post by fabi »

rmj wrote:Can the horse actually see where its going with that armor? It doesn't seem that both eyes can focus on an object.
Predators feature eyes which can be focused on objects to hunt them down.
Prey animals feature eyes which can't focus on objects but have a better surround sight.

Horses are prey animals, so no horse can focus on an object no matter what amour it's wearing.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

this cataphract armor is an extreme, but it gives you a picture of what they can wear. the dragoon is I suppose heavier armed than horseman, so maybe it would be natural to have that head plate.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.39 KiB) Viewed 7321 times
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I love the art.

A very minor nitpick about the horse's armour: the rims behind the eyes seem to make it more vulnerable. An arrow from the front that hits them will get directed inside the helm, without them it would be a narrow miss.

Edit: please ignore the nitpick. I tried it, and it makes the horse look much more friendly and less warlike.
Spoiler:
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
dirtywhitellama

Post by dirtywhitellama »

I dont know when you will ever get around to doing that dragon at this point, but the sketch you posted on page 7 of this thread was by far my favorite here.
also, your painterly efforts are very good, and very attractive, however they don't seem consistent with the rest of the game art (except for the screens between scenarios)

Just my input. Love the dwarves!
taptap

Post by taptap »

I just want to say that I am tremendously happy that the portraits feature realistic axes (and not 100kg double-bitted fantasy axes).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, since 1.10 will be coming out soon, I've committed the current portrait set. For Alanin, this means only the mounted helmeted version for now, but if you post a version of the unhelmeted one without the cold breath pretty soon then I can make use of that as well (and, as per my previous post, if you post the cold breath as a separate image then it can be overlayed on the portrait in scenarios where it's appropriate).

I also used pixelmind's dragon for Khrakrahs (just like in TRoW) and kitty's young Haldric II from LoW in the first scenario.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hi everyone,

This is another placeholder post to say I'm not dead yet. I've been up to my neck in portfolio work, but I still intend to conclude this series when things settle down. Dunno if I've missed the release of 1.10 or not. :?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Hi everyone,

This is another placeholder post to say I'm not dead yet. I've been up to my neck in portfolio work, but I still intend to conclude this series when things settle down. Dunno if I've missed the release of 1.10 or not. :?
Well... yes, look at the front page. :mrgreen: Anyway, the current set works well enough for now (all the old portraits are gone) so there's not really any deadlines to meet and we can just add the rest whenever you got time to finish them.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

And there I am, back to the drawing board...graphics tablet...thing !

I've revised my ambitions regarding Alanin, but still produced three alts altogether (young, old, and older). Age is now marked on both his features and equipment, and in fifteen years the lad even manages to get new pants ! That's why you call them Heroes. :mrgreen:
However, I'm leaving aside the once-discussed possibility to have his older self clad in dwarven steel : it's too much work for a result that might confuse players.

Various comments are now accounted for :
- the beard is now consistent on all three portraits
- aging from young to older is now more progressive
- his naked hand has been replaced with a slightly larger and better-positionned alt.
- added some more lines in order to maintain a semblance of consistensy with other portraits.

In addition, I'm attaching a fourth file labeled "winter_overlay". It should normally be compatible with all three portraits and, when overlayed, gives them cold breath and red cheek. I didn't test it against an actual wesnoth winter terrain, though, so it might be a good idea to check beforehand.
Attachments
SoF-alanin-young.png
SoF-alanin-young.png (352.91 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
SoF-alanin-old.png
SoF-alanin-old.png (352.43 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
SoF-alanin-older.png
SoF-alanin-older.png (350.31 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
SoF-alanin-winter_overlay.png
SoF-alanin-winter_overlay.png (32.87 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Excellent, I'll get these in ASAP. The overlay seems to work well, with the only case where it's less than ideal IMO being if the background happens to be shroud or the map border. However, I don't think that's really a problem worth trying to fix.
Attachments
alanin-winter_overlay-demos.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Fiddling with the opacity of the breath clouds might actually do it. It's a simple adjustment, I'll give it a go.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

:hmm: should his horse also age or perhaps be replaced?
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

tr0ll wrote::hmm: should his horse also age or perhaps be replaced?
He does - Look at his mouth.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The mouth is indeed the only sign of age that I'll show on the horse : I think we don't see enough of it to warrant further work which would likely pass unnoticed.
I'm posting a slightly tweaked "winter overlay" for the cold weather alternates : I reduced the opacity of the rider's breath cloud, so that it doesn't look as bad as before when against a black backround.

Which leaves only one portrait left to conclude the series : the older Alanin such as he appears in the epilogue. We'd mentionned how he would likely step down of his horse and have a change of clothes before meeting the king : well here he is. The portrait's still missing lineart and a few texture tweaks, but other than that I think it's pretty final.
And don't mind the sketchy lower body : it is meant to look like an unfinished study as part of some graphic research I'm doing, and won't appear in the final picture anyway.
Attachments
SoF-alanin-epilogue.png
SoF-alanin-winter_overlay.png
SoF-alanin-winter_overlay.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Great portrait! I think the tuff of hair on his forehead looks weird. Not sure why, it just seems out of place.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?