The Other's attempts at art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Other

The Other's attempts at art

Post by The_Other »

I made this and it doesn't look quite right to me, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong with it. Any suggestions?
(I know his hair is huge, it's intentional as he has bushy dreadlocks!)

Last edited by The_Other on April 5th, 2012, 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
francophone

Re: Barbarian Witch-doctor

Post by francophone »

I believe (I'm not an expert!) :

Is it tattooed on his right shin? and elsewhere?
His right arm is wrong. Either he must bend or extend it.
It is entirely facing: it should at least turn his chest to left.
The shadow is not good (you can wait you finish the rest to do it): http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Creating_Shadows_Under_Units

So much for the purely technical.
For a human so little dressed, I find her skin too clear. And her belly too plate.
The_Other

Re: Barbarian Witch-doctor and other curiosities

Post by The_Other »

Undead sniper (for some reason!) - haven't added shadows yet

Another try at the barbarian, cleaned up the (unintended) 'tattoos', changed the arm and removed the horrible shadow.
Not sure how/if I can fix the facing issue though.

Great Cthulhu!
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

The_Other wrote:Undead sniper (for some reason!) - haven't added shadows yet

Another try at the barbarian, cleaned up the (unintended) 'tattoos', changed the arm and removed the horrible shadow.
Not sure how/if I can fix the facing issue though.

Great Cthulhu!
Great Cthulhu - Looks cool, is he a boss in a campaign or something?
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I don't know really, I was just playing with bits of other sprites, and he was the result.
I'm easily distracted, so I doubt I'd manage to make a campaign in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm vaguely working on a faction based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, which would be an obvious place to use him - but he's a god so probably a bit overpowered for MP.....

Also, I don't know if he's actually usable in-game at all - the sprite is huge, far too big so it could cause some odd graphical issues.
If you can think of any sensible use for him or anything else I post here, help yourself!

EDIT: I just checked, and actually he's considerably smaller than the Fire Dragon that I got his wings from - which I have used in play without any problems. So he should be fine.
Cthulhu ftagn!
francophone

Post by francophone »

The Cthulhu is impressive.
I think there's a small posture problem. Maybe up too far forward? I have the same kind of posture problem with my pictures, so I do not know.
What seems most problematic is its wings. They are too much face. The axis of the foot is good. We should have the same wings.
great_cthulhu.png
great_cthulhu.png (11.91 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
By opening the file, I found two problems: Areas in white in the hollow inside of the drawing. Should be cleared.
We must also move the drawing in a square image so that the feet should be slightly lower than the center of the image.

For other drawings, I do not have time today. I'll try to make a sketch rather facing of the sorcerer.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

francophone wrote:[...]We must also move the drawing in a square image so that the feet should be slightly lower than the center of the image.[...]
i wish there was a clear set of rules and recommendations for this kind of things that i could read somewhere, because there certainly is at least one reason for the height placement of unit in the hex: the unit should not be standing higher than the lower edge of a village image, or else it will look really weird, like standing in the middle of the wall.

however, the way the image is cropped at the moment, is good in the forum : )
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I know about the vertical-placement issue, if I were planning to use Cthulhu in-game there are other changes needed also (note the current lack of a shadow). I didn't spot the non-transparent white bits though, thanks for pointing that out!
I thought the wings were wrong too, I don't know how to fix it though - they're copied from the Fire Dragon and very slightly modified (and purple!), I don't think I can draw well enough to fix the perspective and still keep them looking good. If anybody would care to have a go, by all means do so - otherwise they're likely to stay as they are until I'm a good enough artist to fix them properly.
I'm not sure about the colouring either, I think he needs a more varied palette but I can't decide what parts or what colours.
francophone

Post by francophone »

You could try using the other wing of the fire dragon
francophone

Post by francophone »

I made a rough version of the first unit, to show what I try to explain.
cunning_man.png
cunning_man.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
And taking pieces of two wings of the dragon:
great_cthulhu.png
great_cthulhu.png (12.03 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
The_Other

Re: The Other's attempts at art

Post by The_Other »

Hey look, it's me :lol2:
I've been doing other stuff, but I will do some more work on some of these soon (especially Cthulhu - that wing needs fixing, my version is at the wrong angle and Francophone's seems to be horribly broken :wink: , I will try and get somewhere between the two I think). Might re-colour him too, traditionally he's depicted as green (I did him in purple mainly because I can't think of much else in Wesnoth that is purple!)
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I forgot about this for a while...
I think the wing looks right now. I'm not sure about the colour - is this better, or did he look better in purple?
His left (our right) foot has been redrawn, because somehow it got messed up during re-colouring.

And now he has minions:
Just don't look too closely - I know the TC'd tattoos are bizarre if you zoom in, but (I think) it works okay at game scale (though some colours might look weird/bad)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I like this sprites. :D

Will you ever animate them?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

All things are possible...

In this case it's unlikely to happen any time soon, as my drawing-from-scratch abilities are extremely limited - everything in this thread so far is frankensteined and then recoloured in GIMP, I didn't actually hand-draw anything except Cthulhu's new left foot. Animation will be a challenge unless I can find an existing sprite with the right pose and a very similar body shape - hopefully I'll do them at some point, but don't hold your breath! The fish-people are for a faction I'm planning, so I'm more focused on getting base-frames for everything before I try to animate (faction thread coming when I've done enough work to be worthwhile)

Of course, if anybody wants to take a stab at it, all efforts will be gratefully received! Otherwise, I'll eventually do it myself, as and when I have time/am a good enough artist/can be bothered.
francophone

Post by francophone »

The minions are excellent. The blade of the spear of the one who holding at one hand, erect, is not very clear. The other blade of spear is good.

The cthulhu has always a big deal of symmetry. The left wing is too low compared to its right wing.

For color: I think purple is more original than green.