Yet another map generator [license discussion]

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MetalKing

Yet another map generator [license discussion]

Post by MetalKing »

Nice to hear. With what Type of License did you release?
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
pyrophorus

Re: Yet another map generator

Post by pyrophorus »

MetalKing wrote:Nice to hear. With what Type of License did you release?
GPL of course...

Friendly,
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Fine. Where is the Source? :)
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

MetalKing wrote:Fine. Where is the Source? :)
On my computer only at this point. It's still alpha you know, and I will not take over the hassle to maintain it if no one is interested in this utility. :D

Friendly,
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

I understand your point. My point is written in my signature.
Regards, mk
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

MetalKing wrote:I understand your point. My point is written in my signature.
Regards, mk
You really scanned the sources of everything running on your computer ? I can't believe it. For myself, I run potentially malicious software in a sandbox.

Friendly,
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Well, but I am interested in the idea. And if you really release it under the GPL, you are forced by that license to publish the sources.
Mainly I wanted to settle down the issue. I do understand that you don't want to discuss laws here, but rather are doing things for fun. But then you should be sure which license you pick. :)

What is so bad, btw, about releasing the sources? That's essentially what open source is for, isn't it?
With the sources at hand anyone could modify your generator to fit his needs exactly, or improve it in some areas — so you'll get more valuable feedback.
Of course, if you want to keep it closed source, it's up to you — but then you cannot say it's GPL. ;)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Max

Post by Max »

Crendgrim wrote:And if you really release it under the GPL, you are forced by that license to publish the sources
probably not. and i can't see anything in the gpl that forbids you to apply it to something were it just doesn't make sense^^
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

How would you understand §6 then?
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

I feel like discussing if the Earth is flat or round.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Crendgrim wrote: With the sources at hand anyone could modify your generator to fit his needs exactly, or improve it in some areas — so you'll get more valuable feedback.
But I don't care about "anyone improving my code". I care about collaboration, not plagiarism or paternalist criticism. All you're doing here is promising much: "valuable feedback" as you say. When ? As for now, this thread is completely off-topic, and I really don't think publishing my sources would improve anything.
But yes, maybe I should admit I will have no more feedback than considerations on GPL licence or similar matters, which in my plain language means "not interested". So be it... I only will turn to something else. :D

Friendly,
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

pyrophorus wrote: But I don't care about "anyone improving my code". I care about collaboration, not plagiarism or paternalist criticism. All you're doing here is promising much: "valuable feedback" as you say. When ? As for now, this thread is completely off-topic, and I really don't think publishing my sources would improve anything.
But yes, maybe I should admit I will have no more feedback than considerations on GPL licence or similar matters, which in my plain language means "not interested". So be it... I only will turn to something else. :D

Friendly,
The Thread WAS on Topic but now it's really OT. Read the 3rd Line of my Signature, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source to undestand what OpenSource and read about GPL to understand what GPL means. I wonder why you claim your Software to OpenSource under License of GPL if you refuse to put the Source on the Server. No, sorry! The Earth is round and not like a Banana.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Yet another map generator [license discussion]

Post by zookeeper »

Split. Please keep the license discussion in this thread, since it was obviously cluttering up the original one.

That said, it's probably easier to just not license it as GPL. I see no particular reason to do so especially if you're not putting the sources up anywhere anyway.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Max wrote:
Crendgrim wrote:And if you really release it under the GPL, you are forced by that license to publish the sources
probably not. and i can't see anything in the gpl that forbids you to apply it to something were it just doesn't make sense^^
Crendgrim wrote:How would you understand §6 then?
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#section6
(Link fixed by me to point to the right section.)

The "you" part in the GPL is the licensee (i.e. the one who received and redistributes the software, not the one who originally produced it). So anyone who wants to redistribute the program would be forced to supply the source code ... which about means that nobody can redistribute at all, since nobody has the source code.

As said by zookeeper, this doesn't make much sense, one could just as well say "don't redistribute" as license terms.

Of course, if pyrophorus' program is a derivate of another program (not by himself) which was under GPL, then the "you" part would apply to himself, too (by the license of the other program), and he would really be forced to publish the sources of his derived program. (But the only one who can actually force him is the copyright holder (or holders) of this original program.)
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Yet another map generator [license discussion]

Post by Crendgrim »

And that's exactly what I tried to explain. :)
If he says that it's GPL, he must publish the sources. If he doesn't want to publish the sources, it can't be GPL. That's all I wanted to say. ;)