Development: Scarlet Sea [campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

battlestar

Development: Scarlet Sea [campaign]

Post by battlestar »

This thread is for the purpose of communication between developers of this campaign: Boldek, Ceres, pyrophorus, The_Other and me. Though anyone is welcome to comment on anything related to this campaign (such as drafts of dialogues and scenarios that may be uploaded in the future).

Details have been recently distributed to teammates through private messages, so sorry to the rest of the readers that more information won't be provided here unless one of the teammates requests it.

Thanks!
Last edited by battlestar on March 26th, 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
pyrophorus

Re: Development: Crimson Sea [campaign]

Post by pyrophorus »

Team communication:
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

The campaign folder is fine named "Valia", IMO. Campaign title probably should be changed to Crimson Sea.
Actually, I've had thoughts about changing the title:
Spoiler:

By circular dependencies you mean how file A depends on a macro from file B, yet file B also needs a macro from file A?
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Scarlet Sea - Alliteration.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I like it!

Update: Ceres is taking up spells and skills

To Ceres:

As for the skills/spells/menu, let me know what I could do to help you understand better.

Yes, spells include:
- damage dealers: 1) instant vs prolonged, 2) single target vs area

- supporters: 1) temp stat changers, 2) adds abilities temporarily

- curses: 1) temp stat changers, 2) special negative effects (freeze/stun/sleep/fear)

- summons: 1) summons you control, 2) summons you don't control (ie. phantasmal aid: the phantoms do their thing without player control) 3) unit morphing

- special effects such as shockwave which pushes enemy back, and teleportation spells, enemy controlling spells,

- gold affecting spells 1) directly produce gold, 2) channels gold from enemy, 3) affect villages

- global effectors that can change the playing rules of the entire map: an example is "arcane disruption": whenever a mage casts an offensive spell, 25% chance that it backfires which damages the victim with 25% of the attacker's firepower

- probably other special types I missed from the spell list
Spells are divided into 2 weak spells that require no runes, 4 medium spells that require 1 rune, 3 strong spells that require about 3 runes, and 2 ultra spells that require approximately 5 runes (sometimes varies with spell power)

Weak spells are meant to be able to cast every turn, medium ones every 2-3 turns, strong spells every 1-2 times a battle, and ultra spells once every few battles. This is controlled by casting chances and rune cost. However, the casting chances system may need modification to adhere to this objective better.

In terms of calculating spell casting success rate, first a variable (bs_spell_roll) with random value is generated between 1 and a value assigned to each spell (rand=1..${SPELL_NAME}_cast_rate), and if the random value exceeds 10 (the cut off for success), then the spell is a success.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Please give me some more time about skills, about what you said, pips are only for Valia, other things such as "focus", "rage", "mana" are used for different characters. They are used for casting instead of buying the skill.

Some housekeeping todo list for me:
Spoiler:
Last edited by battlestar on March 29th, 2012, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Okay, this will busy me for a while then.

By the way, right now I've apparently got two campaign folders for this, with completely different files and names. Is the campaign worked on from two sides, or am I supposed to merge those to one folder, or is there a standardized campaign folder?

@pyrophyrus: I'm fine with your coding style, from what I've read in the scenario file. It'd be nice to have the standardization guidelines in a written form or something, though.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Please use the "Valia" campaign folder for everything from now on. It is the one containing pyrophorus' scenario 1. That will be the official campaign folder.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Ceres wrote:It'd be nice to have the standardization guidelines in a written form or something, though.
Seconded.
Also, I'd like to make clear at this point that my WML skills are fairly limited. I can't do the complicated stuff, but I'm happy to take on the simple but time-consuming things so that better coders can focus on the difficult bits.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

For The_Other:
Got a new formula for the AMLA:
round up to nearest integer: (previous lvl's required exp to level)+50x(40-level)x0.02
It's surprisingly close to the previous formula.

-------------------------------------------

These are my suggestions/ideas for AMLA...

Initialize the heroes with something like this:

Code: Select all

[modify_unit]
			[filter]
				id=Valia
			[/filter]
			[variables]
				number_of_aval_upg=15
			[/variables]
			[status]
				health_1=yes
				health_2=no
				health_3=no
				health_4=no
				health_5=no

learning_1=yes
				learning_2=no
				# ...
			[/status]
		[/modify_unit]
Each randomization would only pick from status that has value of "yes".

For example, if "health_1" was picked by random, a corresponding

Code: Select all

[advancement]
	id=health_1
	always_display=true
	# etc etc
[/advancement]
would be added to the hero.

Once an advancement is chosen, for example if the player chose health_1, then in the status it becomes: health_1=no and health_2=yes

and so on.
amla flow.jpg
For Ceres
Could you check if the description format here is Ok with you? If it is, I'll do the rest of the spell descriptions as such. If the actual spell effects were changed during coding, we should probably make changes to this file as well, in order to keep track of things.
complete spelling.zip
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

battlestar wrote:Could you check if the description format here is Ok with you?
Yep, perfect. The "Ah I'm on fire" - is that meant to be said by burning units?
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Yeah, eventually, we could add more embellishments like the caster says some catch phrases during casting, and affected units sometimes say something. Kind of like what happens when people click a unit too many times in starcraft. These would probably be presented with floating text to minimize interference with game play.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi everybody !
Team communication:
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Um, how do I open .ds_store files?
My computer wrote:Windows does not recognise this file type
Is this a mac-only format? Or do I just need to download something to make it work?
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

When I unzipped them, I got rid of the .ds_store files and folders. They seemed redundant. Don't know what's causing these extra files to pop up.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

All I have is .ds_store files :(
I will try opening with some different programs, and see if that works better...