"The Academy" Development Thread-Preview out!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RaustBD

"The Academy" Development Thread-Preview out!

Post by RaustBD »

Alright, I've decided to make a simple campaign for my first Wesnoth project. All of the characters will be types that already exist in the main game, so this should be about as straightforward as it gets.

The story will take place at a large human military academy, which suddenly finds itself under siege by an enormous army comprised of members of every race imaginable. If that part alone isn't suspicious enough, they're all acting exceedingly strangely...

I haven't decided how long this campaign will be, but I plan on featuring as many human unit types as I can, because the large variety of them means that while plenty of campaigns can be counted on to have a few recruitable, a lot of the individual unit types don't get much use in campaigns, and the fencers in particular get almost none.

Any suggestions, feedback, criticism, etc, would be greatly appreciated!

Alpha version 1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25139867/RBD_The_Academyv1.zip

Note: I used FoaP as my base and changed the files completely, in case my computer couldn't create the file types I needed. You may see some remnants of FoaP in the code, I intend to remove those eventually.
Last edited by RaustBD on March 17th, 2012, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
janenho13

Re: "The Academy" Development Thread

Post by janenho13 »

It is good idea to do campaign with theme like this but how did the races ally against the academy? E.g. elves should never ally with undead.
RaustBD

Re: "The Academy" Development Thread

Post by RaustBD »

janenho13 wrote:It is good idea to do campaign with theme like this but how did the races ally against the academy? E.g. elves should never ally with undead.
I did say it was suspicious :)

All will be revealed in the actual story, I don't want to give it away...
RaustBD

Re: "The Academy" Development Thread-Preview out!

Post by RaustBD »

Alright, I've released an alpha version. I think the intro might be a bit dodgy, but I hope the dialogue is enjoyable. It's just one scenario so far, and it may be horribly balanced. Any feedback is appreciated immensely!
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

My friend's having issues getting this to work. Is anybody else?
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think the campaign is interesting if I can judge it the preview.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Drakefriend wrote:I think the campaign is interesting if I can judge it the preview.
So you got the preview to work? Awesome, I wonder why it didn't work for my friend...

Also, slight change of plans: The preview shows Lester as the leader, but I've changed it so that the leader unit (as in, the one that can recruit and recall) is an inanimate tent. It can't fight or move, so that means all of the main characters are free to join the battle.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

I'm thinking I should just focus on one difficulty setting for my first project, y'know, to make it more straightforward. Any thoughts? And what's the single-input version of the macros for gold, income, etc, for use in only one difficulty?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

There is no single input version for the macros, just use the keys directly: e.g. gold=100
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Alarantalara wrote:There is no single input version for the macros, just use the keys directly: e.g. gold=100
janenho13

Post by janenho13 »

Well, if you want to place heroes in a campaign, set defeat if they die. The 3 heroes, who are in the first scenario died and nothing happened.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

janenho13 wrote:Well, if you want to place heroes in a campaign, set defeat if they die. The 3 heroes, who are in the first scenario died and nothing happened.
I've since done that, didn't realize that you could lose silver-crowns without an automatic defeat. Thanks for the heads up anyway :)