Netiquette talks from "Competetive multiplayer"

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SlowThinker

Netiquette talks from "Competetive multiplayer"

Post by SlowThinker »

This is a diversion from this thread: Competetive multiplayer
pyrophorus wrote:Oh c'mon, it's a fundamental of netiquette:

Code: Select all

- Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one to two months before
      you post anything.  This helps you to get an understanding of
      the culture of the group.
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855)
Pyrophorus, I have no clue what is your post related to ...

You mean Caphriel insulted developers by supposing their bad human qualities?
or BasiC should read the forums one months back and find out something special?
Should he find out Wesnoth's culture is not to post any ideas?
Should he notice people are harsh towards novices and not wonder because of Huumy's words?
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Netiquette talks from "Competetive multiplayer"

Post by Iris »

Moved from Website, which is a section explicitly stated to be intended for problems and ideas for the website and other infrastructure. Meta topics do not belong there.

To be honest I don’t see much point in the current discussion taking place in a separate topic either, which is why normally only moderators decide when a topic needs to be split.

More generally, meta talk like this should be in Off-Topic, but since it’s too strongly related to an ongoing topic in this section I may as well leave it here.
Last edited by Iris on March 17th, 2012, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed bit about PMs that doesn’t apply here.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I never supposed the developers had bad human qualities :lol2: I said BasiC's post required as a premise to his argument that we (the developers and the community) are all idiots.

I think pyrophorus was pointing out that this sort of thing can be avoided if people do some reading on the forum to see if their thoughts have ever been discussed before, rather than jumping right into an aggressively-phrased post. Also that it's a fundamental of netiquette when joining an existing online community to lurk a little bit to get a sense of what has been recently discussed and what are considered taboo topics.

(Ninja'd by shadowmaster. Ninjas... shadowmaster... HMMM)

No more than two? I'm going to have a private message conversation with myself about this. :lol2:
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

:) Caphriel, I know you are always very polite and empathizing, but I considered fun that this time you were so extremely polite so that it could be understood in a very opposite way.

I don't see anything aggresive in the BasiC's post, he even added sentences like "this post is not meant to discourage anyone or hurt anyone's feelings".
I know you can see "You are idiots" in any sentence that starts by "I suggest ...", but it is rather your problem, not BasiC's fault :D . Seriously, it looks BasiC had in mind something similar like fog_of_gold and AxalaraFlame, but (so far) he didn't think out or formulate any details.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I'm harsh to forum users if I think they are ignorant. Good example would be the guy in strategy section who argued dwarvish guardsman a little while ago is too expensive unit, which I couldn't care less. But the thread is on the top of the strategy section 2+ weeks.
It is weird because how can you even argue for so long about it?

Anyway I wasn't sure what was going on in that thread so I go read it. Basically what I saw in there was the OP who is new to the game makes stupid arguments doesn't listen any1 else in the thread and goes on and on with the same [censored] arguments.

I thought I saw same kinda ignorance in the "Competetive multiplayer" thread. So I made a long rant again...

But in future I just hold my tongue (or keyboard) before I post something negative on the forums. Because it's basically me just pouring my frustration or anger on some1 who I don't even know and it makes the forums less newbie friendly.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

SlowThinker wrote:Pyrophorus, I have no clue what is your post related to ...

You mean Caphriel insulted developers by supposing their bad human qualities?
or BasiC should read the forums one months back and find out something special?
I mean he should have and found out the various topics on balancing units and factions. He could too post otherwise, saying something like "I can't see why in Wesnoth balancing and competitions are not like in other similar games". I bet the replies would have been *much* different. Someone would have give him some links to the topic (as ArtisticDude did in another thread).
SlowThinker wrote:I know you can see "You are idiots" in any sentence that starts by "I suggest ..."
He didn't suggest, but said what the game *must* be (count how many times the word "must" occurs in his post, it looks like a RFC), and in another one, on the same topic, he begins with "People are ignorant and counterproductive."

All this IMO, fully justifies what Caphriel said, and I fully agree with him.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I don't want it appears I am chiding anyone. From my point of view no post need to be justified.
I just prefer newbies don't run away from Wesnoth and people are not discouraged to post any ideas, and therefore I am trying to neutralize some not-so-friendly posts.

---------------------------------------------------
I didn't find "People are ignorant and counterproductive."

I am not a native english speaker, and so I may be mistaken, but IMO in this case "must" just creates a logical implication...
for a competetive strategy to be truly balanced and worthwhile a few conditions must be met
... and all next "must" in BasiC's post are just copies of this first one.

In case I am mistaken, still "must" have many meanings, and I don't know why you chose a negative one.
And I see absolutely no reason why one should be irritated if a novice made wrong assumptions about Wesnoth.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums