Return to Noelren 0.7.6

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pyrophorus

Re: Return to Noelren 0.5 - now complete

Post by pyrophorus »

Hey wait ! I can't run as fast as you ! :lol2:

I put an update on the server. If you plan to go back, you'll need only to go back to AethenWoods. I put there some code to get Othra back if missing, and prevent Tolivia to get drowned.

By the way I fixed too the other problems you reported.

Hope this time you will go straight to the end !

Friendly,
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi Pyro-- I downloaded 0.5.2 beta, and made it through Aethen_Wood just fine. No mermen, but Tolivia & her water-elements worked okay, and Othra was there. Am now in the midst of Taking_Soradoc; it's quite a melee.

I didn't go back and start Morwyn_Castle again, I started from the beginning of Aethen_Wood, as you suggested.
Thanks for the quick solutions!
--sneezy
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Sneezy wrote:Hi Pyro-- I downloaded 0.5.2 beta, and made it through Aethen_Wood just fine. No mermen, but Tolivia & her water-elements worked okay, and Othra was there. Am now in the midst of Taking_Soradoc; it's quite a melee.
Yes, I think it's fine to have some classical battles allowing recruitment, featuring a lot of people. I hope they are interesting from a skilled player point of view, but I'm not sure.
Sneezy wrote: I didn't go back and start Morwyn_Castle again, I started from the beginning of Aethen_Wood, as you suggested.
Thanks for the quick solutions!
--sneezy
Don't worry. I didn't imagine there someone could kill the boss and one more rat later. It's quite stupid of me, but I have an habit of killing all ennemies first to get more experience. I re-tested the level and it should work correctly now.

Friendly,
ptrr

Post by ptrr »

HI!

I have also been playing this campaing, and ran almost the same problems as Sneezy has.
In the final set of scenarios, 220-BattleForNoelren & 235-BattleForNoelren, the part of the code that should make Akh-Solen undefeatable, returns him as Lestiviel insteal. I was able to kill him on turn 2 with Beren, and also wanish all the foes before Lestviel & co retuned from the cave, I had two Lestivels and no way to trigger win event. Also the Nerins Lady is is remaining in the recall list altough it is a separate side.
Thank you for the campaing, it has kind of unusual features and aspects that are very intresting and enjoyable to play.
Beren is really overpowerd, with him only one is able to defeat entire army. Also in Taking Soradoc I would consider making the river crossable both north and south, currently it is possible to kill the garnison leader and block the access across the river only with Boney and Tiomen, therefore enabling to kill all the powerful enemy units one by one even if Garard doesn't have any levelled units.

Regards
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Thanks for the report and the comments.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and the bugs. I shall try to fix that quickly.

More of it, of course you're right saying some units are overpowered and many maps far too easy. (Maybe you didn't discovered the strange ability Beren has: he can even replace units killed by his side ! Really too much...). Well, it is still a beta version, and I was playing with WML just for fun. I plan to make the difficulty levels more different: in HARD, heroes shall be less powered and situations more difficult. In that, reports like yours is very useful. I don't say I'll change Soradoc map at once, but I certainly do that some day.

Friendly,
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I've finished Taking_Soradoc and moved on to Nerins_Swamps.

Our earlier messages left me wondering if you & I were seeing different behavior by Othra. I now think I understand the difference.

In 000-Intro.cfg, if a player chooses to start in the second part, it looks like the "othra_back" variable is created. But if you start with the first part, you meet Othra in 065-NerinsShore.cfg. She's part of the army during 065, 070, 075, 080, 085, & 090. But none of those .cfg files creates an "othra_back" variable. She seems to move from scenario to scenario via the regular recall list. And it looks like 090-Fremagel.cfg does *not* stash her away in an "othra_back" variable. I think that's why she didn't show up for me in 171-MorwynCastle when I played.

I see that you've made a change to create her if she doesn't successfully recall in 171, but you might consider saving her at the end of 090. Just a thought.
--sneezy
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Sneezy wrote:I see that you've made a change to create her if she doesn't successfully recall in 171, but you might consider saving her at the end of 090. Just a thought.
--sneezy
You're right of course...
This is a provisionnal solution. I don't want to ask players to return to the beginning of second part if they are near the end of the campaign.
I put a little update to fix this and the problem ptrr reported.

Friendly,
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I downloaded 0.5.3 beta, and moved on to Battle_For_Weldyn. No trouble there. But I did notice some things in Battle_For_Noelren and beyond.

(1) at the start of Battle_For_Noelren, there are **two** Nerins_Lady units; one is the leader in the camp in the northwest quadrant; the other is in Anuviel's recall list. Seems like she shouldn't be in the recall list.

(2) when Patti was alone in the cavern, I wasn't sure what to do next, so I tried the hints; it was odd: looked like it was the hint for the Trolls_Hole scenario, about Dolmandir being in the north, and water advancing 3 hexes per turn. A more useful hint would be better.

(3) In the cave, Patti faced some chocobones, and I found that her "drain" attack wasn't re-charging her HP. As the action moved on, I understood the need to disable that drain capability, so she doesn't resist too long. But the status display over on the right says her gaze attack has a drain capability; you might think about how to get rid of that statement that the attack "drains."

(4) in the Victory.cfg file, I can't achieve victory(!). Turns out I destroyed the Janishader boss! N-wrath raced south on turn 1, and on turn 2, he fought into the camp and destroyed the boss. The Janishad boss reincarnated on the keep just east of the original camp. But... as the undead castle appeared, with lava and everything, the Janishader boss disappeared from the map. I didn't really notice this until several turns later, and there was lots going on, so I didn't stop to think about it. But looking at the WML, it looks like that boss needs to be around at the very end.

I have to tell you, that was a pretty exciting "final scenario!" There was a lot going on! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ultimately ends. Thanks for all the good work.
--sneezy
ptrr

Post by ptrr »

Hi!

I tried the 140-RiverCrossing again. It seems that if the player has managed to level up some units, then there's no way to finish the scenario. It seems that currently only level 0 and level 1 units go on the rafts. I had one Knight that is stuck on the south bank of the river.. does not go on the raft nor goes to west along with the heroes.
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi Pyro-- I'm still playing with 0.5.3. I backed up and started Battle_For_Noelren again, and this time I avoided rushing N-wrath south too soon. He did go south, but not until turn 4.
Spoiler:
If I understand the WML correctly, it looks like the problem may be that Akh-Solen was killed **before** Dolmandir & Patti & Lestiviel re-appeared. But that's just a guess. I'm going to hold off on fooling with anything else until you've had a chance to look at all this.
--sneezy
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Thanks to you both for these reports !
ptrr wrote:I tried the 140-RiverCrossing again. It seems that if the player has managed to level up some units, then there's no way to finish the scenario. It seems that currently only level 0 and level 1 units go on the rafts. I had one Knight that is stuck on the south bank of the river.
How could you manage to level a horseman here ? Well, I must admit it's possible and my player skills are very bad. Fixing this is not really trivial, so I will not update at once. I have to test thoroughly a solution.
Sneezy wrote:(1) at the start of Battle_For_Noelren, there are **two** Nerins_Lady units; one is the leader in the camp in the northwest quadrant; the other is in Anuviel's recall list. Seems like she shouldn't be in the recall list.
That's right, ptrr reported that too.
Sneezy wrote:(2) when Patti was alone in the cavern, I wasn't sure what to do next, so I tried the hints; it was odd: looked like it was the hint for the Trolls_Hole scenario, about Dolmandir being in the north, and water advancing 3 hexes per turn. A more useful hint would be better.
OK of course, I will put here something else. Well, there nothing special to do here, just fight desesperately until poor sweet Patti is quite dead (I hope no one will be able to kill all the undeads with her only, but with you, guys, I can't be sure any more).
Sneezy wrote:(3) In the cave, Patti faced some chocobones, and I found that her "drain" attack wasn't re-charging her HP. As the action moved on, I understood the need to disable that drain capability, so she doesn't resist too long. But the status display over on the right says her gaze attack has a drain capability; you might think about how to get rid of that statement that the attack "drains."
I didn't disable the drain effect. I have to take a look into it.
Sneezy wrote:If I understand the WML correctly, it looks like the problem may be that Akh-Solen was killed **before** Dolmandir & Patti & Lestiviel re-appeared.
Yes, yes, the wizard is needed at the end and you shouldn't kill him before all heroes return. I'll design something to avoid this event, not only keeping the wizard alive, but maybe directing the player to other targets or goals (add the Nerins Lady to the heroes list for instance, I suppose you let her die).

OK, I hope to put a fix for all this within 24 hours, and I'll post here when done.

EDIT: version 0,5,4 is on the server, fixing all these issues (I hope !) Have fun !
Friendly,
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

On "A Winter Trip"
Spoiler:
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

tribes45 wrote:On "A Winter Trip"
Spoiler:
Thanks for the report.
Unfortunately, there's no obvious reason which explains this behavior (and you're the first one to report it).
I need more information to investigate. Can you tell me more precisely which units were on screen ? (or a savegame if you have one) ?

Thaks for playing the campaign !
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

pyrophorus wrote:
tribes45 wrote:On "A Winter Trip"
Spoiler:
Thanks for the report.
Unfortunately, there's no obvious reason which explains this behavior (and you're the first one to report it).
I need more information to investigate. Can you tell me more precisely which units were on screen ? (or a savegame if you have one) ?

Thaks for playing the campaign !
Sure,

Tiomen: Let's try to reach these houses. We can make shelter there!
Ecken: Hail travelers! You look heavely loaded. Don't worry, we know how to lighten your burden.
Tiomen:Please! We have no money and our tools are worthless to you!
Ecken: Maybe.. Maybe.. Search the carriage you all! I'll manage the man..

Enemy bandits:

Highwayman 23,7
Fugitive 21,8
bandit 20,9
bandit 27,13
Rouge 28,9
Rouge 24,13.
Attachments
RtN-A_Winter_Trip_Turn_6.gz
(33.22 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Ok, I see what happened. It's only because you ran straight to the west without lighting any camp fire to protect the heroes against cold. Lighting a fire triggers a character coming, and since this character is missing, moving it later fails, of course.
Well, I have to do something to force this coming, camp fire or not.
Just reload turn 5 or earlier, light a camp fire with right click menu and you're done.
Friendly,