[mainline]Are Mudcrawlers elementals?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Telchin

[mainline]Are Mudcrawlers elementals?

Post by Telchin »

Firts, I know that WINR, so ideas should be based on gameplay rather than on verisimilitude (I don't say "realism", because this idea concerns magical creatures), but I've found certain inconsistence in the new stable version (1.10) Fire Guardians and Dust Devil (from UtBS)now have "elemental" trait (same as "undead" and "mechanical", but with different name). However, Mudcrawlers don't receive this treatment.
According to their appearance and description, Mudcrawlers seem to resemble elementals, if made of mixture of two classic elements. Also, they don't have walking corpse variation just like other non-living units. I understand that making them immune to poison and draining would be gameplay change, however they aren't recruitable in default multiplayer and Fire Guardians didn't have this trait in previous versions and now they have it. So, is this an omission, a balance issue or some bizzare Mudcrawler physiology? (In the last case this topic could be moved to Writer's forum.)
I tried to search if this topic was brought before, but found nothing. If it was, please direct me where. Thanks for responses.
Last edited by Telchin on March 18th, 2012, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Are Mudcrawlers elementals?

Post by ancestral »

I always assumed mud crawlers were just animated sludge. Or perhaps failed elemental summonings?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Questions to writers:
Is there any "official" lore about elementals in wesnoth?
Are forces that raise undead and summon elementals have common nature?
In other words, is it "animation of something with Magic" or "calling to force of shadow?/fire/air/..."?
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

+1 to give them Elemental trait, this is one of the greater mysteries for me why didn't they get it. Telchin enlisted the reasons pretty well, and i don't know any mainline scenario where units with drain or poison are fighting against the mud, yet it's illogical and may cause confusion in umc or mp eras.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

The add-on series Rise of the Elementalist expands the elemental line quite a bit, treating mudcrawlers as a precursor of "real" elementals, in the sense that a L1 mudcrawler AMLAs into player's choice of L1 water, fire, stone, or air elemental. The add-on also introduces vampiric budding pure energy elementals.

One campaign (idk if add-on or mainline) had L1 mudcrawlers split into L0 mudcrawlers when hit by certain weapons, but i havent seen that used elsewhere.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

One campaign (idk if add-on or mainline) had L1 mudcrawlers split into L0 mudcrawlers when hit by certain weapons, but i havent seen that used elsewhere.
I believe it's The Rise of Wesnoth (mainline campaign), scenarios the Dragon and Lizard Beach.
don't know any mainline scenario where units with drain or poison are fighting against the mud
Well, in the abovementioned TRoW you can recruit thieves and they get poison on level 3.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Seems reasonable. Making them immune to poison and draining wouldn't be that big of a deal in terms of gameplay balance. They're weak enough units that poison isn't really necessary against them. I mean, given the choice of using my one Orcish Assassin to poison a Mudcrawler or a Spearman, I'd go with the Spearman 90% of the time.

Only objection is that mud isn't really an "element". Dirt is. Water is. But when you start combining elements, don't they just become regular creatures?

EDIT: Telchin, you may want to modify your thread title to include a bracketed category. Otherwise you may get locked over failure to conform. :(
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Insinuator wrote:Seems reasonable. Making them immune to poison and draining wouldn't be that big of a deal in terms of gameplay balance. They're weak enough units that poison isn't really necessary against them. I mean, given the choice of using my one Orcish Assassin to poison a Mudcrawler or a Spearman, I'd go with the Spearman 90% of the time.

Only objection is that mud isn't really an "element". Dirt is. Water is. But when you start combining elements, don't they just become regular creatures?

EDIT: Telchin, you may want to modify your thread title to include a bracketed category. Otherwise you may get locked over failure to conform. :(
Probably they still fall into this category, or at least it is the one fitting closest: Mudcrawlers consist just of Earth, Water and magic, so they are more an "elemental" than "normal" liveform.
I support this idea.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Telchin

Re: [mainline]Are Mudcrawlers elementals?

Post by Telchin »

Telchin, you may want to modify your thread title to include a bracketed category. Otherwise you may get locked over failure to conform.
I'm sorry. I wasn't sure if this thread belongs in Ideas or elsewhere so I half-anticipated it moved. Is it now correct category?
MetalKing

Re: [mainline]Are Mudcrawlers elementals?

Post by MetalKing »

Earth Elementals are totally different so I can guess if you want to ask if MudCrawlers shall represent Earth Elements which are self already Representants of "Element Earth" (Magical Type of Force). Their Nature is very different to MudCrawlers. EarthElementals are not intended to represent Mud. The Elementals of TLU are very much better. So if you want Elementals I suggett take that one as best available and acceptable Representants of Representans.

I would like to see at least some Fractions from there bound into MainGame as best Extension for their southern Area.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9