Aragwaithi

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Aragwaithi

Post by taptap »

As far as I know they are used in several UMC campaigns, but not consistently so. They are also not really balanced, aren't they? Obviously everyone is free to use them as wanted, but maybe there is interest in a more unified Aragwaithi faction.

1) IftU and The Aragwaithi era use the old Eagle master sprite.

2) The Aragwaithi era and ??? use the old Pikeman sprite, although a new one is available.

3) The Guard unit line mysteriously changes their alignment from neutral to lawful.

4) Can one agree to make the Warlock line completely female for now, as there are new sprites available for them?

5) The Swordsmaster seems underpowered vs the overpowered Slayer. Compare to Elvish Champion vs. Elvish Avenger.

6) Should the Flagbearer line have protection or leadership?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
tr0ll

Re: Aragwaithi

Post by tr0ll »

Before discussing changing the units i would want to see or develop a reference wiki page describing the evolution and mythology of the Aragwaithi as a people or faction. Currently there seem to be glimpses of that in various forum posts and add-ons - are they no more than a campaign plot device?
This http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Factions#Aragwaithi is not very comprehensive ;)
taptap

Post by taptap »

tr0ll wrote:Before discussing changing the units i would want to see or develop a reference wiki page describing the evolution and mythology of the Aragwaithi as a people or faction. Currently there seem to be glimpses of that in various forum posts and add-ons - are they no more than a campaign plot device?
This http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Factions#Aragwaithi is not very comprehensive ;)
As they are used in different times on different worlds it is pretty unlikely people will agree on the evolution and mythology of the Aragwaithi before producing much content. Also, the Khalifate likely has taken over the role of the contemporary (to default Wesnoth kingdom) southern desert faction already. Admittedly I am personally sceptical of most high-concept stories, like slaying Gods (UtBS), playing god-like figures (IftU), modest stories work better for me (e.g. Dead Water, Liberty, The South Guard), but fixing the mythology, habits, laws, evolution, history before there is content still seems like just a constraint on authors.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

taptap wrote:fixing the mythology, habits, laws, evolution, history before there is content still seems like just a constraint on authors.
I agree with that.

The Argawaithi were from Extended Era (I think), and then got pulled into other add-ons. If that's true and Extended Era is still being developed, I'd think that would be the place to pin down their fluff. If their original author's project is defunct, I hope it'd just be let go for later authors to have room to move.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I thought they were assimilated into Orbivm and given some backstory there, but I may be wrong.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

shadowmaster wrote:I thought they were assimilated into Orbivm and given some backstory there, but I may be wrong.
Yes, the Aragwaithi were assimilated into Orbivm. Specifically, they were included in the Feudal Era. I don't clearly remember the backstory we gave them, but I think they were the descendents of the Arendians. Anyway, we always took world-building very seriously on the Orbivm forums, so there must have been a backstory.

Also, if the magic-using line of the Aragwaithi is to be all-female, then it really should be renamed from "warlock" to "witch" or "sorceress." "Warlock" is generally used as a term for a male magic user, and a corrupt one at that.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Also, if the magic-using line of the Aragwaithi is to be all-female, then it really should be renamed from "warlock" to "witch" or "sorceress." "Warlock" is generally used as a term for a male magic user, and a corrupt one at that.
Not that it matters, but they are called wizard and sorcerer upon levelling up anyway so warlock is just another term not to call them mage I reckon. Actually, I found myself manipulating my save-files to change the sprites used for the male ones in IftU :) Is there any chance the overhaul of the sprites is continued?
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I think there are the Aragwaithi from Orbvim and those from iftU and UtBS. Perhaps a paradoxal universe?

I remember once applying to write the history behind the Aragwaithi but facing the same problem. Also, wayfarer used to be working on these new sprites. http://forums.wesnoth.org/posting.php?m ... 23&t=30458
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
taptap

Post by taptap »

Something else I noticed playing IftU: the protection ability of the flagbearer line limits resistances to 50% even if higher originally (e.g. ghost cold resistance). No problem with low resistance Aragwaithi, but a bug nonetheless.
szopen

Post by szopen »

A New Order used to use Aragwaithi back in the old days (in 2005 or so until last year). Sigil replaced them with Khalifa. I have a feeling that neither Khalifa nor Aragwaithi really fit into the ANO campaign, but if Aragwaithi would be given consistent feel across UMCs, then it would be a prompt to get them back into ANO.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

Aragwaithi faction uses extremely cute sprites and animation, and I do like the IftU and AtS storyline concerned to Aragwaithi and the Grand Council. Whether they are balanced faction or not, they're too one-of-a-kind to write them off.
Hope some day I can play a MP match with Aragwaithi on the official server.
liminal unit