Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
nani

Retro-minimalistic (Terrain) Package

Post by nani »

First of all:
I respect the great artwork that has been done. All the following could be seen as an alternative approach.
The intention is basically described by SlowThinker in this post.
I am using most of this package for quite some time already, it encourages concetrating on the game itself more than on the artwork (combined with no animations).
While this might be an advantage for competitive players like me, this of course weakens the graphical benefits newer versions offer to draw in new players. :)

What version of BfW is this package for?
You can use this package for BfW v1.10.

What does this package do?
  • replaces the jagged edges graphics for all terrains as terrain-crossfader (instead of removal like Cackfiend proposed here)
  • replaces flat/grass terrain-graphics by simplified versions from BfW1.6 mainly (grass is all same green (hex), dirt is all same brown (hex))
  • replaces forest graphics by the old ones (main work here is from mystic x the unknown here. Thank you!)
  • replaces dry-hill graphics by normal hill graphics
  • replaces fords by BfW1.8 fords (as mostly done by Cackfiend here, ford2.png wasn't needed, Thank you!)
  • replaces ocean- and ocean-blend-graphics by slightly darkened versions for better contrast to shallow water (avoided replacing the really nicely (animated) new water - animation still works like this)
  • replaces drake-graphics and -configuration files by the ones from BfW1.6 (work here is from mystic x the unknown here, I kept the portraits though, Thank you!)
What does it look like after installation?
Left: before
Right: after
silverhead.jpg
aethermaw.jpg
How do I use it?
  1. Execute the self-extracting archive wesnoth_retro_package.exe
  2. Choose your wesnoth installation directory (e.g. "C:\games\wesnoth-1.10")
  3. Extract all files and confirm replacement for all
    note: I created this exe-file-archive for easier installation - it is hosted by MediaFire (the forums don't want exe-files) and doesn't contain any viruses.
  4. post-installation: navigate manually to the folder "{wesnoth_DIR}\data\core\images\terrain\" and remove the folder embellishments (will be restored by Undo)
How do I get rid of it?
  1. Execute the self-extracting archive wesnoth_retro_package_undo.exe
  2. Choose your wesnoth installation directory (e.g. "C:\games\wesnoth-1.10")
  3. Extract all files and confirm replacement for all
    note: I created this exe-file-archive for easier uninstallation - it is hosted by MediaFire (the forums don't want exe-files) and doesn't contain any viruses.
  4. post-uninstallation: some files were created during the installation, those are unused after the Undo-process, but can be removed manually:
    • {wesnoth_installation_directory}\data\core\macros\drake_flying_anim.cfg
    • {wesnoth_installation_directory}\data\core\units\drakes\animation_utils.cfg
    • {wesnoth_installation_directory}\data\core\images\units\drakes\... all files listed in the txt-file below.
      remaining_drake_images.txt
      (4.38 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
best regards, and have fun!
nani

p.s.: Any comments are welcome.
Last edited by nani on February 7th, 2012, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Retro-minimalistic (Terrain) Package

Post by Doc Paterson »

Ha, while many of those terrain choices aren't my preference, it's cool that you made this, so that people have the option. I do really miss that flat-alias shade of brown! A lot of the changes could just be done in the regular map editor, as they undo some of the choices I made, like replacing the cabbage forest or the fall forest with more standard forest, dry hills with green hills, etc. Maybe that's too tedious though.

Aethermaw is a good showcase for this, by the way..... :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
nani

Post by nani »

Doc Paterson wrote:A lot of the changes could just be done in the regular map editor, as they undo some of the choices I made, like replacing the cabbage forest or the fall forest with more standard forest, dry hills with green hills, etc. Maybe that's too tedious though.
If I understand you right here, you are talking about modifying the maps, while this package changes the graphics core images, meaning even newly created maps will be shown in this style automatically.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Some quick notes:
  • The problem of non-Windows users is they cannot run the .exe file. Why you don't simply pack the folders+files into one .zip (.7z, .rar ...) file? (then another advantage is everybody sees what changes were done and can readjust them)
  • An add-on that doesn't alter the core files would be better, but I understand you don't want to study Terrain WML all next week.
  • the flat terrains with a different terrain code may have a different function in some add-ons (like GEB), and so these add-ons may be hardly playable
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
nani

Post by nani »

SlowThinker wrote:The problem of non-Windows users is they cannot run the .exe file. Why you don't simply pack the folders+files into one .zip (.7z, .rar ...) file? (then another advantage is everybody sees what changes were done and can readjust them)
I am no Windows user myself, at least for 90% of all time.
But since most players are (probably pc-unexperienced) Windows-users, I wanted to make the installation as easy as possible with a self-extracting archive.
As a non-windows user, there are 7zip-packages around as well, and you (like myself) can easily manage to open these executive files
and navigate in their structure to actually take a look at and adjust the changes like any Windows user could do, since those are still archives.
That's actually the reason I had for not using NSIS e.g. .
SlowThinker wrote:An add-on that doesn't alter the core files would be better, but I understand you don't want to study Terrain WML all next week.
Totally true, creating this package was basically just done by using batch-utilities, everything else would've been too much work imho.
SlowThinker wrote:the flat terrains with a different terrain code may have a different function in some add-ons (like GEB), and so these add-ons may be hardly playable
I didn't know about that I must admit. Yet, it's people's own choice to use/test this package and Undo it if needed. I'm not deleting any terrain graphics and the sole purpose of all this is to have the graphics simplified (like you proposed in the post I linked to), so losing "implicit diversity" is actually intended.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

nani wrote:I didn't know about that I must admit. Yet, it's people's own choice to use/test this package and Undo it if needed. I'm not deleting any terrain graphics and the sole purpose of all this is to have the graphics simplified (like you proposed in the post I linked to), so losing "implicit diversity" is actually intended.
This problem is not so serious:
  • a player can have two instalations of BfW 1.10
  • one day somebody experienced in Terrain WML can create an add-on, and so a player will be allowed to run two separate data/add-on folders, one with the standard graphics, another one with the minimalistic graphics.
  • somebody experienced in Terrain WML could create an add-on that will allow to switch the terrain graphics by the context menu (but I am not sure whether this is possible, at least it requires a special era)
FYI from the point of view of movecost/defense Wesnoth differentiates these terrains (and their combinations)
castle, cave, flat, forest, frozen, fungus, hills, mountains, reef, sand, shallow_water, swamp_water, village.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Im dissapointed to see you were unable to (or maybe didnt even attempt?) to try to bring back the beaches for water edges and instead just went with the removing of the jagged edges leaving behind the faded brownness

I played around with it a bit and got Sand to be the edges around water and then realized those werent the beach graphics from 1.8 :P

any chance you could work on this? im sure it would take a lot of time =/
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
nani

Post by nani »

SlowThinker wrote:FYI from the point of view of movecost/defense Wesnoth differentiates these terrains (and their combinations)castle, cave, flat, forest, frozen, fungus, hills, mountains, reef, sand, shallow_water, swamp_water, village.
Cackfiend wrote:beach graphics from 1.8 any chance you could work on this? im sure it would take a lot of time =/
No time to take a look at this atm, but I'm planning on a modification giving each terrain type has a unique image, e.g. no dirt and grass coexisting and putting the beach back in. Let's see if some WML-enthusiast is faster. Of course a terrain switcher addon would be far more elegant.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Cackfiend wrote:Im dissapointed to see you were unable to (or maybe didnt even attempt?) to try to bring back the beaches for water edges and instead just went with the removing of the jagged edges leaving behind the faded brownness
:D I am dissapointed he ever tried to preserve the animation of the water. His aim was not any nice graphics, but a comfortable visual interface:
nani wrote:The intention is basically described by SlowThinker in this post.
I am using most of this package for quite some time already, it encourages concetrating on the game itself more than on the artwork (combined with no animations).
Seriously: I don't care about such details and I turn the terrain animation off.
(BTW the jagged edges are not bad, maybe they rather accentuate there are different terrains besides. Anyway they represent a very little detail for me.)

--------------------------------------------------------
nani wrote:I'm planning on a modification giving each terrain type has a unique image, e.g. no dirt and grass coexisting
The cobble roads may have meaning in campaigns and RPG add-ons, also the dirt is often used to represent a path.
Maybe you could preserve three or two (road+dirt unified) flat terrain images.

Another point: compare these representations of an impassable mountain (in a mountain range):
  • a mountain with dark grey clouds (not light grey like in present!)
  • stone wall
Maybe the inconsistent (black) stone wall in the (light) mountain range disturbs the concentration more than having to accomodate to 2-3 different images of an impassable terrain.

But I don't have a clear standpoint to this point.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

Easier method of installation is unpacking this to ~/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10/ on linux or userdata\ on windows.
And now you can easly delete this old strange Drakes XD.
But this doesn't delete embellishments (rocks, fences, flowers and other eyecandies).

Oh, and I'm disappointed that you didn't remove those pesky fake villages from HGB XD.
Quick bats are quick.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

ok definitely over use of the word "dissapointed" in this thread

let me make this very clear:

this package is awesome, thank you very much
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Hey, this looks like a cool little thing! I myself like the new terrain better, but like Doc Paterson said,
Doc Paterson wrote:It's cool that you made this, so that people have the option.
I'd like to try my hand at porting this to Linux/Mac, if I could get the source code, or if there's a way to get the source code easily?

Or just tell me how it works. Whatever.
Timshel
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

uncleshelby, I think there is nothing that needs to be ported. Just open the package with 7-zip and you will see what is inside.
(I suppose the instalation only copies the files and no original files are deleted - but I am not sure ...)
nani

Post by nani »

@Cackfiend:
Thanks for defending this package against people who are disappointed, though it's not needed.
Of course I had the goal of having simplified graphics, but since I just made it for my own since 1.6,
and didn't think about raising it to perfection level, like SlowThinker's basic idea, until now, I'm not
expecting anyone to be perfectly satisfied. Since this whole thing is actually a no-brainer, it's not
even worth sharing. Still I thought some people might be interested in it, even if it's far from a perfect official version.

@SlowThinker:
Thanks for the suggestions and the explanation about it being a simple packed file.

(won't have time to work on this anymore)
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

Please reupload this awesome thing. It's removed from mediafire.
Quick bats are quick.