1.10 Chinese words display bug

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
snowhawkyrf

1.10 Chinese words display bug

Post by snowhawkyrf »

Hi, thanks for your excellent work! I love 1.10.
I'm from China and use Ubuntu 11.10 (32bit). I installed the new version using PPA and found that the fonts were not correctly presented. All the Chinese words are just sqare. When I chose English language, the English words are OK. Version 1.08 doesn't have this bug.
I don't know where to report this bug, so I just post it here. Thanks for your attention and I hope this will be fixed as soon as possible.
If you can't see the pic, this is the link:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/snowhawkyr ... 1/sizes/m/
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: 1.10 Chinese words display bug

Post by Iris »

Moved to Technical Support.

Are you sure that’s Wesnoth 1.10.0, by the way? I thought the PPA only had up to 1.9.14 (1.10-rc1).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
snowhawkyrf

Post by snowhawkyrf »

shadowmaster wrote:Moved to Technical Support.

Are you sure that’s Wesnoth 1.10.0, by the way? I thought the PPA only had up to 1.9.14 (1.10-rc1).
Yes, it's 1.10.0, and the PPA I use is ppa:vincent-c/wesnoth. It's uploaded at Jan 25th on launchpad.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ah, not our Debian/Ubuntu packager’s PPA then, never mind (although I’m not sure a packaging problem could be ruled out in this case).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

shadowmaster wrote:Ah, not our Debian/Ubuntu packager’s PPA then, never mind (although I’m not sure a packaging problem could be ruled out in this case).
It can't be ruled out since with 1.9.14 the packaging has to be changed for fonts. A different font is now used and because of this the debian packaging has to be adjusted. So yeah, this seems not to have been done by this PPA...

Explaination: The debian package does not ship the fonts in the Wesnoth binary, it installs them as dependency whenever possible. In 1.9.14 the fonts for Chinese, Korean and Japanese were changed to some versions of the Droid font series.
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

snowhawkyrf wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:Moved to Technical Support.

Yes, it's 1.10.0, and the PPA I use is ppa:vincent-c/wesnoth. It's uploaded at Jan 25th on launchpad.
Please complain to vincent-c then, it should be reachable through his launchpad page. The official wesnoth-1.10 package is directly installable through using precise, and I will offer backports within the next few weeks, only haven't got around to do so yet. If you find the same issues with the packages from precise please let me know again.
snowhawkyrf

Post by snowhawkyrf »

ivanovic wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:Ah, not our Debian/Ubuntu packager’s PPA then, never mind (although I’m not sure a packaging problem could be ruled out in this case).
It can't be ruled out since with 1.9.14 the packaging has to be changed for fonts. A different font is now used and because of this the debian packaging has to be adjusted. So yeah, this seems not to have been done by this PPA...

Explaination: The debian package does not ship the fonts in the Wesnoth binary, it installs them as dependency whenever possible. In 1.9.14 the fonts for Chinese, Korean and Japanese were changed to some versions of the Droid font series.
Thanks a lot! I will try to contact the PPA maker.
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

snowhawkyrf wrote: Thanks a lot! I will try to contact the PPA maker.
Can you check whether you have fonts-droid installed? That might be the missing package. It is set to recommends, but I have no idea which package tool you used to install the packages and whether that asked you if you want to have the fonts package installed or not. Because from a quick glance, it looks like vincent has based the packages on my upload to unstable, for whatever reason ...

Hope that helps,
Rhonda
snowhawkyrf

Post by snowhawkyrf »

Rhonda wrote:
snowhawkyrf wrote: Thanks a lot! I will try to contact the PPA maker.
Can you check whether you have fonts-droid installed? That might be the missing package. It is set to recommends, but I have no idea which package tool you used to install the packages and whether that asked you if you want to have the fonts package installed or not. Because from a quick glance, it looks like vincent has based the packages on my upload to unstable, for whatever reason ...

Hope that helps,
Rhonda
Thanks to Vincent, here comes the solution. I did the following steps, but some of those may not be necessary:
sudo apt-get install ttf-droid
cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype/
sudo cp -r ttf-droid droid
cd ..
sudo mkfontscale
sudo mkfontdir
sudo fc-cache -fv #To let the system find the fonts
rm -r ~/.config/wesnoth
rm -r ~/.local/share/wesnoth #I don't know if this is necessary
sudo reboot

If you just copy the fonts to the right folder and refresh the font cache, the Chinese fonts can be displayed in the Preferences menu, but still not correct. Some words are missing.
After I did all those steps above and reboot my laptop, the program works fine now!

Vincent said that: Ubuntu's ttf-droid package installs the Droid fonts in a path that differs from Debian, so if Wesnoth works in Debian but not in Ubuntu Oneiric, it's logical to conclude that the path in Debian must be correct (or there's some even more elusive bug...). If you look at [1], you'll see that the fonts are installed in a subdir called ttf-droid, but in Debian it's just called droid.
[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/all/ ... d/filelist

Thanks for Vincent's work on this bug and thanks for your attention, all of you. :P
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

snowhawkyrf wrote: Vincent said that: Ubuntu's ttf-droid package installs the Droid fonts in a path that differs from Debian, so if Wesnoth works in Debian but not in Ubuntu Oneiric, it's logical to conclude that the path in Debian must be correct (or there's some even more elusive bug...). If you look at [1], you'll see that the fonts are installed in a subdir called ttf-droid, but in Debian it's just called droid.
[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/all/ ... d/filelist

Thanks for Vincent's work on this bug and thanks for your attention, all of you. :P
Vincent is only partly right here: the ttf-droid package is the old way the font was packaged, this was changed in Debian a bit ago, and is already changed in Ubuntu precise too. So the wesnoth-1.10 package works in the distributions it is uploaded so far officially well, also for chinese. Thanks to your notice though I am aware of the issue and will make sure that when I offer the backports that the font issue will be handled correctly and that we will use ttf-droid instead of fonts-droid and use the correct symlinks then.

Enjoy!
Rhonda