After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.6.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.7+]: Ep. II in progre

Post by Iris »

That isn’t under my control, unfortunately, and I’m not sure who’s in charge of syncing wescamp anymore.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lipk

Re: After the Storm 0.6.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.7+]: Ep. II in progre

Post by lipk »

Very well, I found a much newer version at berliOS. It seems that gettext.wesnoth is just not syncing.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.6.1 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]: Ep. II 60% done

Post by Iris »

A little more than two weeks after the release of version 0.6.0, After the Storm 0.6.1 is out! And just in time for Christmas Eve in Chile, too.

The last couple of weeks have been particularly productive, as I’ve continued to work on AtS Episode II with the help of my loyal assistants vultraz and Espreon, who have been a valuable help providing early feedback, play-testing, and proofreading. In order to keep people busy for a while, this release includes scenarios 4 through 7, and one cutscene-only scenario, adding up to five new scenarios in this version.

Version 0.6.1 was scheduled for this date immediately after 0.6.0’s release, but it was only intended to contain the finished scenario 4, which landed on SVN trunk on December 15th. Since I was left with plenty of time before the original deadline, I decided to continue working on as many scenarios as possible. E2S7 landed on the 22nd, 22:01 UTC. I would have continued working on E2S8 immediately, but since it requires one new unit baseframe, I decided to postpone it and aim for introducing all the final four scenarios in version 0.7.0 when it’s done (most likely by early to mid-January 2012).

For this version, I decided to increase the Wesnoth version requirement from 1.9.7 to 1.9.10, which was already recommended in the campaign description. While there’s no WML code or maps enforcing the version requirement yet, I’ll simply ignore bug reports against AtS 0.6.1 on 1.9.9 and earlier versions since the engine behavior changed a lot between 1.9.8 and 1.9.10 in some areas — it’s simply impossible to keep supporting old development versions now that mainline is releasing 1.9.10 and later as betas for the upcoming stable 1.10. Besides, as a mainline developer I must also encourage people to test the game and report bugs before 1.10!

Should this inconvenience you, I may be able to provide support on a case-by-case basis given a good reason to do so. My general recommendation if your Internet service isn’t good enough to download the bi-weekly Wesnoth 1.10 betas is to just download the latest one and keep it around until 1.10 final is released. By the looks of things, odds are this won’t happen until January.

The changelog for this version of the campaign is unusually long, even though I deliberately omitted some specific additions in the art department — six new baseframes, all made by myself and awaiting revisions in the near future — and unit WML. Since those are tied to the new scenarios, I decided to not spoil it in the changelog.

Code: Select all

Version 0.6.1:
--------------
* Increased minimum Wesnoth version requirement from 1.9.7 to 1.9.10.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Sylvan Warden (chained).

* Scenarios:
  * Various prose grammar fixes.
  * E1S3 - Civil War in the North:
    * Removed deprecated flower terrain.
  * E1S5 - Bay of Tirigaz:
    * Removed deprecated flower terrain.
  * E1S6.2 - Elves of a Different Land:
    * Fixed a dialog line wrapped in double parentheses.
  * E1S9.1 - The Triad (part 1):
    * Don't set Elynia's initial status to slowed.
    * Fixed animation glitches.
  * E1S9.3 - The Triad (part 3):
  * E2S2 - The Heart Forest:
    * Increased turn limit.
    * Reduced initial gold amounts for enemy sides.
    * Set initial gold amount for the player.
  * E2S3.2 - Revelations:
    * Corrected unit facings.
  * E2S4 - Shifting Allegiances:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S5 - The Eastern Front:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S5 C - The Eastern Front cutscene:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S6 - The Voyage Home:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S7 - Proximus:
    * New scenario.

* Units:
  * Increased Dryad's HP from 43 to 46.
  * Increased Forest Spirit's HP from 37 to 40.
  * Simplified Sylvan Warden's animations WML, making her less of a resource
    hog.
  * Removed Kri'tan.
Have fun, and happy holidays!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: After the Storm 0.6.1 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]: Ep. II 60% done

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello again, I started playing Episode 2 today and finished it upto Scenario 7
The feedback:

Scenario 1: Having only lvl1 Faeries and Footpads made this level very challenging indeed, but won through it, as my ally acted as fodder units, giving most kills and some lvl 2s (a few Fire Faeries and an Outlaw)

Scenario 2:
The trolls were no match for poachers in combination with Fire Faeries. Protecting Allyna was easy, but dealing with side 2 wasn't, lost a few thugs but got a fugitive and two trappers in exchange

Scenario 3 (part 1 & 2): No feed-back needed

Scenario 4: Fighting alongside demons was uneasy but the ally acted as fodder giving me another trapper and a dryad. The Shaxthal leaders committed suicide by moving too far away from their keeps.

Scenario 5: A tough scenario indeed. The Elvish acolytes were a menace to ghosts. I had arrange Skeletons and Skeleton Archers in a circle to keep off Archers and Scouts. Using Ghosts and Anya, I took side 4 first and then side 3 and lastly side 2.

Scenario 6: Easy. The only thing bothering me were those wolf riders. They kept grabbing my captured villages. But a Wraith taught them a lesson :twisted:

Scenario 7: Recruited a Thug and a Footpad and then recalled the veterans. I used the Thug and Footpad as fodder. and then finished off the attackers with Forest Spirits and Wraiths. If I remember correctly the After the Fall timeline said that Kri'tan was Elynia's son and I killed him, so it was a bit confusing :hmm: The Lich was easy prey during the First Morning to Elynia.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.7.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]: complete!

Post by Iris »

After the Storm’s development began in 2008, some time after the completion of Invasion from the Unknown. Since then, the campaign’s development was repeatedly and severely hindered by multiple planning issues, partially caused by (borderline pathological) perfectionism on my part; plus many other personal problems.

During most of 2011, development was unofficially halted, with a half-baked E1S9.2 lingering around in the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev SVN trunk for months. Version 0.4.0 was released near the end of September, and from that point onwards, I decided to not stop working on the campaign ever again, until it reached completion.

That day, sadly, arrived sooner than I expected. Version 0.7.0 is here, presenting a complete Episode II with 12 scenarios, adding E2S8 through E2S12 to the line-up found in version 0.6.1.

AtS was always planned to have only two episodes, so as previously said I consider it to be 100% complete in terms of scenario count right now. The third episode (After the Storm: Final) is still in the planning stage and it will most likely be developed in parallel with the balancing, clean-ups and touch-ups leading to version 1.0.0, making it a target for version 2.0.0 instead.

Right now, AtS is in urgent need of portrait art for the new characters introduced throughout E1 and E2, at least two new unit baseframes for use in E1S9.2 and E2S11, plus a third baseframe for E3. While portrait art isn’t a version 1.0.0 target per se, I would really welcome any help at any time, as long as the art style stays consistent with Invasion from the Unknown. It’s very likely the missing baseframes will be provided by myself in the meantime.

Later, I’ll publish a more complete to-do list with the tasks remaining to be done for version 1.0.0, and I’ll try to make a more exhaustive art to-do list as well.

The changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.7.0:
--------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Dusk Faerie, Shaxthal Worm, Shaxthal
    Rayblade, Shaxthal Assault Drone, Shaxthal Protector Drone, Shaxthal War
    Drone, Shaxthal Runner Drone.
  * New or updated terrain graphics: Dark Hive Floor (transitions).

* Scenarios:
  * E1S5 - Bay of Tirigaz:
    * Rewrote shipwreck generator code so the message strings can actually
      be translated.
  * E1S8 - Fear:
    * Updated to use a Wesnoth 1.9.10 terrain.
  * E2S1 - By the Moonlight:
  * E2S2 - The Heart Forest:
  * E2S4 - Shifting Allegiances:
    * Fixed a local variable leak.
  * E2S6 - The Voyage Home:
  * E2S7 - Proximus:
    * Added a hint regarding the enemy leader's chance-to-hit override to
      objectives.
  * E2S8 - And then there was Chaos:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S9 - New Hive:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S10 - The Betrayal:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S11 - A Final Confrontation:
    * New scenario.
  * E2S12 - Fate:
    * New cutscene scenario.

* Units:
  * New unit: Shaxthal Worm (replaces the Shaxthal Wyrm).
  * Balancing:
    * Reduced Nightshade Fire's ranged arcane attack strength from 12-3 to 10-3.
    * Reduced Nightshade Fire's ranged cold attack strength from 13-2 to 11-2.
    * Reduced Night Nymph's ranged arcane attack strength from 9-3 to 8-3.
    * Increased Errant Soul's ranged attack strength from 2-1 to 2-2.
    * Reduced Chaos Headhunter's ranged attack strength from 6-3 to 5-3.
    * Reduced Chaos Marauder's axe attack strength from 10-2 to 8-2.
    * Reduced Chaos Marauder's ranged attack strength from 7-3 to 6-3.
    * Reduced Chaos Soulhunter's axe attack strength from 13-2 to 12-2.
    * Reduced Chaos Soulhunter's ranged attack strength from 10-3 to 9-3.
  * Revised Shaxthal unit descriptions.
  * Shaxthal Runner Drones can no longer advance to Assault Drones.
  * Added a custom teleport animation for Nightshade Fire.
  * Added unit type descriptions for Night Nymph and Nightshade Fire.
  * Removed conflicting markup from the Sylvan Warden unit type description.
Just like the previous release, AtS 0.7.0 requires Wesnoth 1.9.10 or later. The presence of the Rotten Bridge terrain in several scenarios (mentioned in the changelog) really enforces this requirement in this opportunity.

So... yeah, the campaign is complete now. Go forth and play.
lpeti93

Re: After the Storm 0.7.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]: complete!

Post by lpeti93 »

I'd like to point out two things:
First, I think there's a bug in the A Final Confrontation:
After I've spotted Mal Hekuba the main objective is to survive until the end of the turns but it is also said I lose if the turns run out. I think this condition of defeat should be removed for this three turns. (Medium difficulty and version 1.9.13 - sorry, I had no time to upgrade yet)
The second thing is that I thought that Elyssa is a human assimilated by the Shaxthal. But in Fate (the cutscene scenario) you refer to her as (the) demon stared directly at her eyes.
Anyway, it was again a pleasure to play new scenarios of the After the Storm. But I miss Malin... khm... Mal Keshar I mean.
Keep up the good work! ;)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

lpeti93 wrote:The second thing is that I thought that Elyssa is a human assimilated by the Shaxthal. But in Fate (the cutscene scenario) you refer to her as (the) demon stared directly at her eyes.
I knew that would raise some questions.

She was not really a human assimilated by the Shaxthals, but a human forcefully made into a similar lifeform (not identical, since Shaxthals are non-sentient by nature). The “demon” part refers to the consequences of her gradual rise to power — it’s not too different from regular Chaos Lorekeepers, or even Liches, and she might not biologically be a demon, but her powers make her one in the eyes of her enemies.
Spoiler:
The objectives inconsistency you pointed out will be fixed in the next maintenance release, which I’ll publish once enough bugfixes or balancing changes accumulate in SVN.
Muspilli

Post by Muspilli »

Fantastic work. I registered just to post some comments here because I'm a big fan (IftU is probably my overall favourite Wesnoth campaign). I played version 0.6.1 up to part 2 scenario 7, then version 0.7, on Wesnoth 1.9.14. Didn't run into any bugs, per se, at all.

Part 1:

Scenario 7: In general this scenario was extremely easy. (Then again, I was playing on Easy difficulty.) I lost a lot of gold on it the first time round by recalling too many slow and expensive troops, so I started again and recruited a single castle of ghosts. That was easily enough for me to complete the level with lots of gold remaining. On one of the glyphs, "oportunity" should be "opportunity".

Scenario 9: It would be nice to have some exposition on how Mal Keshar managed to smuggle himself and a whole team of friendly troops into the citadel. It's cool but somewhat out-of-the-blue!

Scenario 11 part 2: This dungeon, again, was very easy (especially when compared to the equivalent grind in IftU - The Dark Hive - which I found impossible to complete without save-scumming massively; but then, perhaps I just missed a trick in that level).

Part 2:

Scenario 2: I triggered the Allyna event by moving a scouting Sprite to the northeast, and didn't have any units even nearly in position to prevent Allyna from being killed by the bandits the next turn, so had to reload. Seemed a little harsh.

Scenario 8: In the starting sequence, "I have broken more rules than it is acceptable for any elf, or human", the "it" seems unnecessary to me. Later in the scenario, "Do not hesitate and kill her!" would read better as "Do not hesitate! Kill her!", IMHO.

Scenario 9: This seemed very easy.

Scenario 10: The player has the potential to collect vast sums of gold in this scenario. At the beginning of scenario 11 I had over 1500 gold. Possibly not a major problem as there's no particular advantage to having loads of units in scenario 11, but I thought I'd point it out.
Spoiler:
All in all, thanks for a good few hours of quality entertainment. :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Muspilli wrote:Scenario 7: In general this scenario was extremely easy. (Then again, I was playing on Easy difficulty.) I lost a lot of gold on it the first time round by recalling too many slow and expensive troops, so I started again and recruited a single castle of ghosts. That was easily enough for me to complete the level with lots of gold remaining.
Yeah. This is one of the many scenarios requiring some balancing changes; this is mentioned along with the rest (such as E1S11.2 and E2S2) in the official to-do list for 1.0.0.
Muspilli wrote:On one of the glyphs, "oportunity" should be "opportunity".
Nice catch. It’ll be fixed in 0.7.1.
Muspilli wrote:Part 2:

Scenario 2: I triggered the Allyna event by moving a scouting Sprite to the northeast, and didn't have any units even nearly in position to prevent Allyna from being killed by the bandits the next turn, so had to reload. Seemed a little harsh.
According to one of my early play-testers, there might or might not be a way to sequence-break the scenario and make it to the finish without Allyna. I have to go back to this soon.
Spoilers zone:
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

Once more, greetings from Russia.
A mere thought of an end to this story going soon makes me sad. For me, it IS the end. I do miss Mal Keshar. (Galas did not impress me so much, 'cause he wasn't so charismatic and sarcastic as Malin)
So, just a question here. I downloaded an unfinished AtS version a few weeks ago. Now, I've got a "mission-start save". But - if i just go now and install a newer, complete version, whether it'll overwrite my saves or something?
Sry for such a n00by question, but- :mrgreen:

Btw, I did it all on "hard", and at least in one scenario I had to cheat a little. The second part, can't remember the very scenario... Ahh - those your trolls and Allyna. I had't recruit any fire sprites yeah :oops: and those bandits, I spotted them by my scout. And - gameplay requiring saveloading- :hmm:

p.s. sry for my poor eng ^_^
liminal unit
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

Ahem, I've just installed the finished AtS and am now playing the ATTWC scenario. My question, sure, was kind of stupid, especially considering that I'm a technical university student. :mrgreen:
Btw, could someone please tell me how to translate the campaign(s)? Even if my speaking English isn't well, translate it into Russian is much more easy. I'm using ubuntu, and I have the Wesnoth (1.9.13) installed using Synaptic (so I haven't got the sources). What should I do first?
Moreover :mrgreen: another question. Where can I download this new so called "RC" Wesnoth version? And what is principal new in it?
Doumo arigatou for paying attention to my posts
liminal unit
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Scampada wrote:Moreover :mrgreen: another question. Where can I download this new so called "RC" Wesnoth version? And what is principal new in it?
hmm... source code link and pointer to what is new can be seen on the wesnoth home page :?
http://www.wesnoth.org/
if you do not see it there maybe you have some browser incompatibility or language issue.
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

tr0ll wrote:
Scampada wrote:Moreover :mrgreen: another question. Where can I download this new so called "RC" Wesnoth version? And what is principal new in it?
hmm... source code link and pointer to what is new can be seen on the wesnoth home page :?
http://www.wesnoth.org/
if you do not see it there maybe you have some browser incompatibility or language issue.
Ahaha, I've been there, tnx. But - I'm afraid I do not unterstand how to compile it correctly. I have just tried recently, using cmake, but it could not find kind of configuration file or something. :(
liminal unit
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Scampada wrote:Btw, could someone please tell me how to translate the campaign(s)? Even if my speaking English isn't well, translate it into Russian is much more easy. I'm using ubuntu, and I have the Wesnoth (1.9.13) installed using Synaptic (so I haven't got the sources). What should I do first?
The WesCamp page in the wiki explains the procedure for user-made campaigns such as this one. You should also contact the mainline Russian translation maintainer (see RussianTranslation) so they can help you with proof-reading and other things.
As said above, you should be able to find the links in the site front page, but if your Internet connection is somewhat slow or you are charged for large/lengthy transfers, you may prefer to wait until Wesnoth 1.10.0 is released next week or so. ‘RC’ stands for Release Candidate.

If you need help compiling it, you should consider asking in the Release Announcements, Compiling & Installation forum, providing further information (i.e. operating system) so others can help you.
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

It's quite easy to get off all of the enemies in "And then there was chaos" scenario even on hard. Most of the enemies are 1lvl. Is it meant to be so?
Spoiler:
liminal unit