Post your favorite boardgame!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaiserdrache

Re: Post your favorite boardgame!

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Axis & Allies
Die Siedler von Catan
vodot

Post by vodot »

Just got Dominion on the table last week— Fun times! Not sure how we're going to get the play time down to the "30 minutes" advertised on the box (took us over an hour with three players), but a great, accessible strategy deck-building game.
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

Britannia. Very simple to learn, yet so rich I could play it for ages. One thing I really like: although combat resolution uses dice, luck is never a real factor in the outcome.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Jaume wrote:Britannia. Very simple to learn, yet so rich I could play it for ages. One thing I really like: although combat resolution uses dice, luck is never a real factor in the outcome.
I never played Britannia, but one thing that put me off, reading about it, is the scoring for attacking "historic" enemies. Why should Normans be pushed into attacking Saxons for a bonus, for example, if the Danes happened to be holding strategic territory? It seems to me that it would be better to score based only on population and territory, rather than stereotyping players into attacking other groups simply because they fought historically.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

Groggy_Dice wrote:
Jaume wrote:Britannia. Very simple to learn, yet so rich I could play it for ages. One thing I really like: although combat resolution uses dice, luck is never a real factor in the outcome.
I never played Britannia, but one thing that put me off, reading about it, is the scoring for attacking "historic" enemies. Why should Normans be pushed into attacking Saxons for a bonus, for example, if the Danes happened to be holding strategic territory? It seems to me that it would be better to score based only on population and territory, rather than stereotyping players into attacking other groups simply because they fought historically.
I didn't play the latter editions, so maybe this changed a bit - but in the first edition this was achieved by having the Normans and Saxons compete for the same objectives (provinces), so it actually felt very natural. Of course this didn't prevent Danes or whoever else to attack Saxons or Normans or vice-versa when they get in the way. But bar a few exceptions (such as Normans and Saxons killing each other leaders, or Belgae destroying Roman legions) you don't score victory points for destroying enemy units. Occupying the right provinces at the right time is the key to victory, and nations who have differents objectives have little incentive to compete. You can still deny an opponent victory points by occupying a province that's worth nothing to you and a lot to him, but usually it's counterprductive since you likely cripple both him and yourself doing so - to the benefit of other players.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Go (+ Backgammon + Abalone)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Raket

Post by Raket »

Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Anybody ever play Battlelore by Fantasy Flight Games? Great game. I had lots of fun with it back when I actually had the time to play. I also loved Heroscape which I see has already been listed.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...