Breaking Ground • An add-on about greed… or something

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Breaking Ground • An add-on about greed… or something

Post by Gambit »

(The old thread)

Breaking Ground Dig deeper!

Gameplay
Breaking Ground is a unique game implemented in the Wesnoth engine. It features quick gameplay on a map that shrinks over time. It is heavily based on a game called Greed Corp. (TotalBiscuit review of Greed Corp)

Your goal is to kill every single enemy unit. When you manage to completely finish off an opposing side, you take over all of their hexes and get all their gold.

Your strategies will incorporate the following units:
Soldiers - You use Soldiers to capture territory. You need to own hexes in order to recruit other units. They're also used to kill the soldiers owned by your competition. You can upgrade them to get extra strikes and hitpoints.

Harvesters - Harvesters can't move after you build them. Every turn they dig all the hexes surrounding them as well as the one they stand on. You get money from this digging. Eventually, if you dig too deep, a chasm opens up, the unit standing there dies, and you can't dig there anymore. Fortunately for you, your government will subsidize this failure (+1 income for every chasm you create). And thus you are incentivised to destroy as much of the map as you can.

Archers - Eventually this reckless digging will lead to large chasms separating you from your opponents. Archers can be recruited. They allow to you shoot at hexes within a range of six. Their arrows lower the terrain by one layer and instantly kill soldiers, but will have no effect on other archers or harvesters.

Gliders - For those with enough money, Soldiers can be picked up by Gliders and dropped on any other hex. This is the only way to take over enemy islands.

Download
This add-on is for Wesnoth 1.9.13 and above. You can download it from the official add-on server in the game. You can also get the bleeding edge version via git.

Improvements
This add-on existed on 1.8, however this is a complete rewrite from scratch. It features a lot of improvements and takes advantage of several new engine features in Wesnoth 1.10.
Cleaner - It has more functionality, but less code.

Customizable - It is now possible for you to create custom maps for Breaking Ground.

Easier to Share - Your friends don't have to download it to play/observe. Only the host needs the add-on.

Faster - Several areas perform much faster. (I replaced a lot of loops with smart SLFs)

More User-Friendly - Upgraded soldiers are now marked. No more accidental suicide attacks. Most menus are also more exposed. Less clicking. You can undo moves now.

Thanks
Thanks for trying out the add-on. I'd love to hear what you think about it, and if you want to play sometime, just ask!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Breaking Ground • An add-on about greed… or something

Post by Gambit »

I just pushed out a very important update. There was an infinite loop bug in the code that kills your leader when you lose.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Just nice!

checking its code, its easier to modify :D

Im going to have a cracked version of your era with a calvary unit and a heavy infantry unit. Checking that stuff, I see its not so hard to make new units in this breaking ground :p

If you want to see how it should work in the era in live, just we need to meet in the 1.9 server once again. I will be some actively in the server, but I have no idea of when.

And ofc, I will have user maps for the mode :P
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

So I released a series of updates yesterday as I tested things with friends.

Changes
  1. Newly upgraded troops are unable to attack.
  2. Many bug fixes related to harvesters
  3. Two new maps.
  4. The ability to right click on units and learn more about them
  5. You can right click on an empty hex to see the way that the terrain layers work
  6. The order of terrain layers was changed to Mountain -> Hill -> Grass -> Sand -> Cave -> Chasm. This is because Dirt versus Cave was difficult to tell apart.
  7. Fixed a bug with the ! marker not being properly removed from attacking soldiers when they get hit by the defender.
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

A larger 1v1 map, meant to increase strategy and reduce p1 bonus.
maps.rar
(970 Bytes) Downloaded 314 times
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

I did a few playtests and watched some greed corp 'let's play' videos.
Some general remarks about the mod:

* When you kill a unit, the terrain becomes yours. In addition, you can move on that square the same turn. It is also possible to move and attack. This leads to a chain reaction: Move + kill + terrain is yours. repeat. This chain can be broken by only allowing the player to move or attack. Also, when you kill another unit the terrain should not become yours.

* Archers kill a 4 hp warrior AND lowers the terrain AND makes the terrain yours. You can buy ammo and shoot multiple times each round. This is overpowered. The range (6 hexes is also very large). Suggestion: Shoot only once each round.

* Gliders are to expensive AND they kill the unit they land on. It would probably be much better if the glider did not kill the unit, but if the battle gets resolved somehow. The cost of a glider can then be lowered to ~24 (the cost of two 4 hp fighters).

Compared to 'greed corp' it is strange that you can attack archers and workers. It might actually be better if you can build archers and workers on the same tile as a fighter.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It is not meant to be an exact clone of greed corp.

I plan to do something about these chain reactions with soldiers though. It will probably mean removing the nice [tunnel] code so that bottlenecks are possible again.