Wesnoth 1.10-rc1 (a.k.a. 1.9.14)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.10-rc1 (a.k.a. 1.9.14)

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.10-rc1 (a.k.a. 1.9.14) is out!

This is the first release candidate for the upcoming 1.10 series. We are confident that we are really close to 1.10 now, but we need you to test the game and report all bugs you can find so that we can still fix them before we release 1.10.

Content creators should start porting their add-ons so that they work with the upcoming 1.10 series. Since we have been in a feature freeze for some time already, WML should be rather stable and receive no further syntax or behavior changes. The add-ons server that is currently used for 1.9.x will also serve as the 1.10 add-ons server, so please upload your (updated!) content there. Translators should also be working on finishing their work before 1.10 — the string freeze had already begun with the previous release of version 1.9.10.

This release mainly consists of bugs fixes that accumulated since 1.9.13, the fourth beta release. They are enough fixes to finally call this version a “release candidate”, so yes, we are confident that we are really close to releasing 1.10.0!

Important changes and new features
CJK fonts
Players using the Chinese, Korean or Japanese translations often reported the fonts being less than ideal, especially since there were some problems displaying italic characters. Because of this the font for those translations was changed. Hopefully this will improve your visual experience.
Known Issues (might be fixed in the next release(s))

There are no known issues at the moment.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.9.13. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (323.6 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.9.13 to 1.9.14, 8.1 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for information on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The Mac OS X package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the downloads page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get the files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.9.13+ is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.9.13 and later. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

The add-ons server for 1.9.x is already running. It was started during the development of 1.9.0. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend not to be forgotten, you will get better results using the official bug tracker. Again, we require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how trivial or complicated they are!

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don’t do any good, so better not ask them...
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.14 a.k.a. 1.10-rc1

Post by Iris »

Forum and MP server users must read this announcement as well: I know, it’s rather annoying that this link is being spammed everywhere, but if people don’t take their time to click a simple link in a message in their email inbox after registering, I don’t know what to expect in terms of laziness!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
uncleshelby

Re: Wesnoth 1.10-rc1 (a.k.a. 1.9.14)

Post by uncleshelby »

So, how can I get this on Fedora? Is there a repo I can use, or do I need to compile from source?
I realize that there may not be a package yet, and sorry if I'm being pushy. Just wondering.
Timshel
lipk

Post by lipk »

There's no development package for Fedora afaik. However, I use Open Build Service to build rpms for openSUSE, and it can compile for Fedora too. But I'd need a little assistance from somebody with a working Fedora installation to set up the build environment. PM me if interested.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Why were the awesome tropical forest tiles removed, and replaced with the old ones? Was it because they didn't match any of the other forest graphics?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Pewskeepski wrote:Why were the awesome tropical forest tiles removed, and replaced with the old ones? Was it because they didn't match any of the other forest graphics?
The old ones are a palm grove while the new ones are actual rain forest. So the change visually broke maps with beach-like terrain style, and there's many of them.
The terrain is good but it can only be added once editing of the maps is allowed again as well.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that unit portraits look odd in 1.9.14? They look fine in the help, but in-game, when a unit speaks, they seem to have jagged lines - as if the image was rescaled incorrectly.

(I Just wanted to check this wasn't due to some setting on my end before lodging a bug report. I'm on Windows XP.)
Attachments
Here's what I see...
Here's what I see...
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I believe it’s simply a limitation of the scaling algorithm, but I have indeed noticed that countless times before when playing on lower resolutions than (approximately, since I usually play in maximized windowed mode) 1280x800.

There might have been an attempt to solve it before and it might have been reverted.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

#17961 [Gna.org]

I don't know if this part is fixed yet, but the scaling algorithm was shared between the minimap and the portraits, but the minimap looks terrible if it's smoothly scaled, so the first fix was to re-break the scaling algorithm.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

geography.cfg: 's/Castelfrang/Castelfranc/'

wmllint: The "unknown %s% referred to by id" error message is still not outputting on my system. The obvious difference between 1.9 and the old 1.8 is the "and subtag depth >0" part. I don't know what the "subtag depth" code was supposed to do, but I got the function back after I removed it. I didn't test whether the unmodified wmllint would actually work with a more up to date Python, or on Windows.

Also, the compression of the five old warlord variations to three portrait variants, for 1.8rc1, really should be updated, now that more portraits are available in 1.9. I grepped the campaigns folder, and only two scenarios are making use of grunt-5 and 6 (and none grunt-4). I know it's too late for the mainline campaigns that have already been converted, but there is old UMC that might get ported to 1.9 and 1.10. (In retrospect, it might have been nice to have wmllint add a comment to those profiles that were doubled up, so that they could be updated when more images became available.)
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Your first issue has to wait till 1.11, your second should be fixed (thanks), and I don't actually understand what you mean with the third, can you please rephrase ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
TheCoward

Post by TheCoward »

The Fellowship of the Clay desperately needs a native English speaker to run through the dialog and... straighten it up a bit.

The writing is a bit... rough. ^_^
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Assuming you got the right name, that’s an add-on and we don’t have anything to do with add-ons (i.e. wrong topic and forum section).
Ant

Post by Ant »

Local data directory name

Just compiled Wesnoth 1.10 under Ubuntu 11.04. The game created the directory for the local data under the name

/home/username/.local/share/wesnoth/1.1

and not as it probably should be as

/home/username/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10

is this an error?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Ant wrote:Local data directory name

Just compiled Wesnoth 1.10 under Ubuntu 11.04. The game created the directory for the local data under the name

/home/username/.local/share/wesnoth/1.1

and not as it probably should be as

/home/username/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10

is this an error?
This bug has already been fixed and packagers were notified so that they could include the patch (I know that the .deb and the gentoo ebuild at least do so!). Have a look at this bug report and the linked commit fixing the bug: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?19318