Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

csarmi

Re: Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

Post by csarmi »

Two more games.
Attachments
csarmi_vs_plk2_(khalifate).gz
plk2 (kf) vs csarmi (drakes) on Hamlets
(14.54 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
csarmi_(kf)_vs_nagafono_(dw).gz
csarmi (kf) vs nagafono (dw) on Silverhead Crossing
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Superking

Post by Superking »

I hope this does get merged with standard someday :)
lover de wesnoth
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Played an UD vs Khal game with Cremember tonight, first game ive played in almost 9 months =D

the fire melee/fire ranged units are pretty OP vs ud
Attachments
Cack_vs_Crem_1.9—_The_Freelands_replay.gz
(19.94 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Arifs are way too overpowered. They have not only a 11-2 base attack at Lv. 1, but also marksman and the lawful ability, giving even some lawful opponents no chance at retaliation.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

They are 9-2 blade. The same damage as a grunt, but marksman, armor, and 18 gold.

They are the Khalifate's ONLY reliable weapon to remove units from high defense.

Now melee marksman sounds nice, but it is actually less useful than ranged marksman, because most village holder units have a decent melee attack and they will take retaliation.

Now as for giving no chance to retaliation, I don't understand that. The only unit with no melee is an adept.
Superking

Post by Superking »

arifs dont seem overpowered, just a solid counter to elusive types. Out of interest, what is consider imbalanced about the faction atm?
lover de wesnoth
khorne-flakes

Post by khorne-flakes »

for me, the issues in logic are refered to jhundi,s. I dont understand how this guy being on foot has same speed than t khaiyals, think 5 mp base should be better, and the horse one more movement maybe, anyone thinks that,s reasonable?, bye
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Lhurgoyfyy wrote:for me, the issues in logic are refered to jhundi,s. I dont understand how this guy being on foot has same speed than t khaiyals, think 5 mp base should be better, and the horse one more movement maybe, anyone thinks that,s reasonable?, bye
The Khaiyal is slower than an average horseman because he is a heavy armored man on a heavy armored horse. Think of him as the mounted version of the Heavy Infantryman and it'll make more sense.

As for the Jundi, he is a lightly armored infantryman, so he moves faster than the average foot soldier.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

bomp :)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

csarmi wrote:bomp :)
I'm glad people are still paying attention. ;)

I've been crazy-busy this fall with RL stuff. I'm really optimistic that I can have some quality time to get back working on these guys AND get back to playing some over the holidays and next year. Hang in there and this will start moving again in a few weeks!
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Hello,

I'm helping out with the project.

First of all, WTT tourney is going and we're doing the balancing (that provides a lot of tests and input): http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 28#p517228

There is a temporary version up on the add-on server called Temp_Khalifate. This version contains a lot of input from various sources (including Wintermute, of course) and features Khalifate as some units changed to liminal.
Changelog: http://pastebin.com/hwHB0hAm
IRC: ##khalifate

Máté
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Could the next version have the [multiplayer_side] data put in it's own file like for the factions in /multiplayer/factions? That way, UMC authors could add support for the Khalifate in 1.10 if the player has the era, using #ifhave.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Wasn't it that way in 1.9.9?
How was it solved then?
I'm not very familiar with add-ons yet, but I'll check it out (and Wintermute is supposed to have more time from mid-January).

So, we'll see what we can do. Surely when 1.10 comes out there will be a new revision made (don't know when that would be) and the plan is to keep improving it regularly (with the new information gained from playtesting).
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:Could the next version have the [multiplayer_side] data put in it's own file like for the factions in /multiplayer/factions? That way, UMC authors could add support for the Khalifate in 1.10 if the player has the era, using #ifhave.
Can't you use the ERA_KHALIFATE macro and #ifhave ~add-ons/Era_Khalifate/_main.cfg? I created that specifically for UMC eras which are modifications of existing eras (adding [event]s). You probably could put the whole ERA_KHALIFATE block into a wml variable and then extract the contained multiplayer_side.

There probably should be some design guides for these things. I recently met a similar problem which would have been way better if the referenced addon had a better structure.

EDIT
Done in umc-dev r12643. I also used my own addon era to check that it's usable. However, there is a major caveat: In networked multiplayer, I don't see a way to check whether the remote clients have Era_Khalifate installed or to make sure that they have it installed to be allowed to join a game which references Era_Khalifate (since #ifhave works only on the host). Thus, if another addon creates any Khalifate unit, clients which don't have Era_Khalifate will get kicked with unknown unit type error (as usual). In local multiplayer this problem can't occur of course so it's anyway worthwile to add the feature.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Thanks a lot, Anonymissimus.

Update: current version (with khalifate as liminal) has been uploaded to the 1.10 server. The addon is called Era_Khalifate, current version is 2.0.1.

It is (currently) identical to the temporary version (called Temp_Khalifate), but this is going to change.

For future reference, use the Era_Khalifate addon ONLY.
If you have other khalifate addon installed (Temp_khalifate or even earlier versions), please remove them. As they probably use the same unit ideas as this one, they will clash (and will cause out of sync errors).