Wesnoth 1.9.13 a.k.a. 1.10-beta4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.9.13 a.k.a. 1.10-beta4

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.9.13 a.k.a. 1.10-beta4 is out!

This is the fourth beta for the upcoming 1.10 series. We do encourage every player to test this release and report all bugs they find so that we can still fix them before we release 1.10. Content creators should start porting their work to the upcoming 1.10 series. Since feature freeze is active, WML should be rather stable. The add-ons server that is currently used for 1.9.x is likely to eventually become the 1.10 add-on server, so please upload your (updated!) content. Translators should also be working on the respective translations since the string freeze was started with the release of 1.9.10, too.

This release mainly consists of bugs fixes that accumulated since 1.9.12. This time the fixes center around the whiteboard as well as some multiplayer issues. Besides this, alink managed to improve speed in some special situations with complex local time of day areas and local lighting enabled in Advanced Preferences, and [color_adjust] effects should be much faster and smoother now. Several translations received smaller and larger updates, too.

There was also a fix for the required XP for AMLA of two Default era units; sadly, this makes 1.9.13 incompatible in multiplayer with previous beta versions.

Important changes and new features
Portraits in dialogs
Large portraits, especially high ones, should now work properly. For example TRoW scenario 5 (The Oldwood) now shows Elilmaldur-Rithrandil properly even when the screen resolution is 1920x480. If there are still issues with portraits not being shown, please let us know, either in this thread or by a bug report.
NativeClient (aka 'Wesnoth in a browser')
Added the NativeClient port code, provided by Evgeniy Stepanov. This should allow you to play Wesnoth using your web browser if you manage to find the page where it is hosted and if your web browser supports "NativeClient" (which should currently be the case for Google Chrome and Chromium).
Fullscreen in OSX 10.7 (Lion)
Full screen mode on Lion should now work. Wesnoth currently uses a custom version of SDL to make this work, so people trying to compile on a Macintosh need to copy SDL.Framework from the package into Xcode/lib before compiling.
If you are not using Lion, it is safe to continue using SDL 1.2.13.
Known Issues (might be fixed in the next release(s))
  • The minimap when in windowed mode on OS X on Intel processors displays overlays (forests, villages) as black.
Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.9.12. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (325.6 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.9.12 to 1.9.13, 4.0 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for information on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The Mac OS X package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the downloads page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get the files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.9.13+ is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other 1.9.13 (and possibly later) users. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

The add-ons server for 1.9.x is already running. It was started during the development of 1.9.0. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content's author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs, don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend not to be forgotten, you will get better results using the official bug tracker. Again, we require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how trivial or complicated they are!

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Dunno

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.13 a.k.a. 1.10-beta4

Post by Dunno »

nice! Finally, I'm not forever alone on the server :D
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Other known issues:

Windowed mode on OS X is slow (possibly also full screen in Lion). For now, I suggest playing in full screen.
I have a local copy that runs more quickly now, but I think there is still room for improvement when compared with full screen.
13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

They seem to have accidentally replaced tropical trees with some kind of ugly hippie hedge-bush. Will that be reversible?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Unfortunately for map creators, no, it’s not accidental: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 33#p516133
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

13arrage wrote:ugly hippie hedge-bush
Ugly? :lol2: It does look a lot more realistic than the old terrain. Although, it will be unfortunate not to have a palm tree variant for stable (due to feature freeze). I guess that's up to the art directors to decide what to do about that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Sapient wrote:
13arrage wrote:ugly hippie hedge-bush
Ugly? :lol2: It does look a lot more realistic than the old terrain. Although, it will be unfortunate not to have a palm tree variant for stable (due to feature freeze). I guess that's up to the art directors to decide what to do about that.
The right thing to do would have been to make clear that we are in feature freeze and that the whole thing needs to wait till 1.11.
And then, commit both the new realistic rainforest and the new "idyllic palm grove in a south sea paradise" (or keep the old one) and edit the maps where appropriate such as 2p_Hornshark_Island which needs beach-like "tropical forest". Especially map editing shouldn't be done in feature freeze.
IMHO all of the graphics are great however.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

ivanovic wrote:Content creators should start porting their work to the upcoming 1.10 series. Since feature freeze is active, WML should be rather stable. The add-ons server that is currently used for 1.9.x is likely to eventually become the 1.10 add-on server, so please upload your (updated!) content.
So this is the last beta version? Do you know when approximately 1.10 is supposed to be released, and so add-ons should be updated?
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SlowThinker wrote:
ivanovic wrote:Content creators should start porting their work to the upcoming 1.10 series. Since feature freeze is active, WML should be rather stable. The add-ons server that is currently used for 1.9.x is likely to eventually become the 1.10 add-on server, so please upload your (updated!) content.
So this is the last beta version? Do you know when approximately 1.10 is supposed to be released, and so add-ons should be updated?
IIRWIIR.
Dude, read the words. Addons are supposed to be updated *right now*, since November already. Not when 1.10 cones out. 1.9 is already more stable than 1.8, believe me. The only point is the vast majority of MP people doesn't read the forums or notice that they should use 1.9 now. Sort of critical-mass problem I guess; 10 people or so on the 1.9 MP server is the cause and reason of itself.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Anonymissimus wrote:IIRWIIR.
Dude, read the words. Addons are supposed to be updated *right now*, since November already.
The problem is I don't want to maintain two versions, one for 1.8, another one for 1.9/1.10.
So I wait until IIR, and then I start the update works.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

SlowThinker wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:IIRWIIR.
Dude, read the words. Addons are supposed to be updated *right now*, since November already.
The problem is I don't want to maintain two versions, one for 1.8, another one for 1.9/1.10.
Stop maintaining 1.8 and directly go for 1.9/1.10!
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

ivanovic wrote:Stop maintaining 1.8 and directly go for 1.9/1.10!
:) But all my customers play 1.8.
And nobody is willing to give a hint whether 1.10 is a question of days or months. So I stay faithful to 1.8 :P
Anonymissimus wrote:The only point is the vast majority of MP people doesn't read the forums or notice that they should use 1.9 now. Sort of critical-mass problem I guess
I think most people will always ignore 1.9. Only if the beta had been named 1.10 then people would have moved to the new server.

edit: tx Crendgrim
Last edited by SlowThinker on December 26th, 2011, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

1.10 ...
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

SlowThinker wrote:The problem is I don't want to maintain two versions, one for 1.8, another one for 1.9/1.10.
If you find bugs now (like the end-turn one in 1.8.x), they can be fixed for 1.10.0. When 1.10.0 comes out people will upgrade.
If you wait until after 1.10.0 and then find a bug, you'll have people who don't upgrade when 1.10.1 comes out.

Does anyone have stats on how many players are still using 1.8.5 on the multiplayer server?
Edit: versions of clients used for creating games (sample taken from the replay server today)

Code: Select all

version="1.8.0"   9
version="1.8.1"  22
version="1.8.2"  11
version="1.8.3"   1
version="1.8.4"   2
version="1.8.5" 134
version="1.8.6" 502
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SlowThinker wrote:But all my customers play 1.8.
And nobody is willing to give a hint whether 2.0 is a question of days or months. So I stay faithful to 1.8 :P

I think most people will always ignore 1.9. Only if the beta had been named 2.0 then people would have moved to the new server.
The difference is rather psychological.
IIRWIIR because we never know what happens. Fatal problems can suddenly pop up which nobody ever thought of before and which need fixing previously to a stable release. Imagine you had upgraded during the 1.7 beta series end thereby discovered the end_turn bug so it could have been fixed for 1.8 ^_^ . Once the next stable is out, the feature freeze is over, so developers go again happily code nice powerful bugintroducingfeatures instead of fixing bugs, so you will have to live with them until the next stable comes out.
projects (BfW 1.12):