Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

uncleshelby

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by uncleshelby »

Crendgrim wrote: Whatever you do with a GPL'ed program / with GPL'ed content, must also be released under the GPL.
Gah! I knew that! Somewhere in my head, I knew that.

Anyway, you don't have to download the game to get the portraits. The're right here.
Timshel
SharpScope

Post by SharpScope »

Hello everybody. Yeah, Thats all i got... Well i got a bit more if you like to hear it.
Anyway im really looking foward to the game i have it downloading right now the game seems fun and there should be more videos on it. Addons and multiplayer.. FTW...
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Hmm...
I'm Mike and I'm old. Not OLD, but to old enough to remember a time without the internet and especially a time when games like Battle Isle where state of the art.
And as it goes with such old people I never really forgot those first strategy experiences.
It's not that I don't like modern games like Civ whatsthenumber or Heroes whatsthenumber. But I also really like to play an occasional game of Battle Isle 3 every now and then. And I really like the rare online flash game which reproduces this kind of gameplay.

But then - one day in the not very distand past after playing around with some kind of fantasy mod for Civ and thinking about another round Heroes I just tried to search for a new game via google. I do this often, but this time I tried it in english (which is not my native language).
And I did find something...
After downloading and installing it some conflicts arose. Not of the technical sort, but of the personal. Being a merchant I've absolutely no spare time in this period of the year. But somehow I managed to complete the first campaign (Heir to the throne) over the last one and a halve weeks.

What I want to say with this is in fact simple:
This game is AMAZING!
I really love it. It's well done and has a lot of flavor.
I don't need the full 3D zoomable, rotateable and close to perfect simulated environment on my screen. It's nice but I always opted for more depth. For Baldurs Gate instead of Neverwinter Nights.

Wesnoth has it. There’s a well developed game for free with really great artwork and at least one really good story for the campaign.
Nothing world shakingly new (in fact I really loved things like the tentacled monster in the sea near the entrance to the dwarven mines ;-D ). But well done and full of fantasy flair.
I did not encounter any technical issues. No bugs. No game breakers.
Some modern developers could use a good share of this attitude...

I've got nothing more to say besides:
Thank you guys!
Great work. Really well done.
Where can I donate something? You really earned it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Glad you like Wesnoth! (Although the Heir to the Throne campaign is probably going to become victim of added seriousness in the next development series.)

We don’t currently accept direct donations, but there’s a Flattr page (also linked in the wesnoth.org front page) as an alternative.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

uncleshelby wrote:I would like to use some of the portrait art on here for my table top gaming, just to represent characters for my own personal games, never to be sold, or distributed, I would just print them out and use them for character sheets so people would have a visual.
Moocher wrote:Hi! Actually, Wesnoth is released under the GPL, meaning that you can use, distribute, or even sell anything in the game! So you can use anything in the game (Code, images, music) for anything you want.
Crendgrim wrote:That's not correct.
Whatever you do with a GPL'ed program / with GPL'ed content, must also be released under the GPL.
to be more precise, you are not required to distribute or publish modified GPL'd content if you only use the mods in your own space. however, if you do distribute it or the mods, the GPL and its requirements must be attached (and source code made available etc).
so character sheets with Wesnoth art on them that you distribute to people to take away must include the copyright notice. if those sheets never leave your home then i dont think it legally matters if the GPL notice isnt on the sheet, but of course it is better to encourage the spirit and development of free software and art by acknowledging the source.

oh btw hi, i've been playing this thing since version 1.2 and am thoroughly addicted.
alluton

Post by alluton »

shadowmaster wrote: (Although the Heir to the Throne campaign is probably going to become victim of added seriousness in the next development series.)
Changing Heir of the throne? It cant be real!
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
TheVeneGuy

Post by TheVeneGuy »

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I just want to warn everyone to watch out for a player named LIttleMan (with a capital i). he is a problem player and should be permanently banned for identity theft and for abuse.

See you online!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I believe that’s already been dealt with, but in the future you should just follow the instructions in the CoC or the Posting Guidelines point 4b. No need to warn us in the public forums. :)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

shadowmaster wrote:Glad you like Wesnoth! (Although the Heir to the Throne campaign is probably going to become victim of added seriousness in the next development series.)

We don’t currently accept direct donations, but there’s a Flattr page (also linked in the wesnoth.org front page) as an alternative.
I'll take a closer look to this flattr thing. Didn't know that yet.

Regarding added seriousness: You cant be serious?!
What's life with a little bit of humor? Especially this kind of subtle humor.
It's fun. It's like unexpected easter eggs to find a reminder at known stories or films or whatnot.
Personally I found similarities to the love story in the film Willow (an really REALLY old one) and pretty much loved them... :D
Keep that up. It's great!
ATA

Post by ATA »

Hello guys! My name is ATA, I'm from Indonesia
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

ATA wrote:Hello guys! My name is ATA, I'm from Indonesia
Oh my God :shock:

BTW, Welcome and hello

Thanks to shadowmaster for telling me this
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
ATA

Post by ATA »

atomicbomb wrote:
ATA wrote:Hello guys! My name is ATA, I'm from Indonesia
Oh my God :shock:

BTW, Welcome and hello

Thanks to shadowmaster for telling me this
Why are you shocked?
Edit: Wait, you're from Pontianak too?! :shock:
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

You can both meet each other!

http://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Xelthor

Post by Xelthor »

I Xelthor, an evil koala alien fro mouter space!!\BOW BEFORE ME!!!!!!! :D
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"
--Gandhi
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
--Thomas Jefferson
Radh

Post by Radh »

Hi guys. I'm Radh. I'm quite new to the game, and haven't yet beaten the first scenario on Beginner difficulty. :] I am a Lo-Fi Gamer (and only able to afford free games), so The Battle for Wesnoth was a masterpiece addition for my computer (unable to even play Minecraft!). I'm looking to do more than just playing and wanted to get involved with the community on here, so I joined the forums and am exploring the site a little bit more. Maybe it'll even help me with some strategies in game!