Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iBaLkiD

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by iBaLkiD »

Some feedback after a few long MP sessions. Crimea's early game is very vulnerable to a boat rush by the Ottomans. As a matter of fact its essentially game over if this happens. Its the best opening move for a OE player.

Build two boats straight away and grab the first house with the king. Sprinkle in a few more boats and its game over for Crimea. The problem is that the OE player can attack Crimea's King from the water essentially forcing him to retreat or experience death by cannon. Crimea's production is very vulnerable because of this. Spamming boats rarely works for Crimea's as well because at this point its 1 for 1 and OE's boats are superior.

The Crimean player can try to compliment his navy by defending the shoreline with units to lend aid to the navy but then your econ takes a massive hit because you aren't capturing houses. More often then not you cant even use all of your recruitment spaces because you have units there trying to fend off OE's naval barrages.

We noticed this near the end of our session and tested a few times to see if it was possible to survive. It just seems to be big of a disruption to the Crimean player's early game.

Maybe a good solution would be to place the kings spot where it isn't accessible via water. Heck i think it would be best if only one square of Crimea's castle was accessible via water, that way harassment would still be possible but it wouldn't be an automatic game over.

Level 2 and 3 cannons are insane! So powerful but i don't think they are OP. They are fairly slow and easy to see coming. Late game they can be problematic if your opponent has more then three leveled up cannons mixed in an offensive.

The land boats are a pain but i see why you had to handle them that way. Would be nice to keep them restricted to water tiles. I would think tying boat size to water depth could be a good solution for when you implement units that can recruit. That way you dont have huge ships cruising channels and holding off choke points but you still allow landlocked players to have all the naval units, all they need to do is find a coastline.

I had an absolute blast playing this era. The most fun i have had playing Wesnoth in a long time. The sprites are super well done, and each one has a lot of character. I should have been asleep 4 hours ago, but i was having too much fun!

Looking forward to your next update! :lol2:
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

iBaLkiD wrote:Some feedback after a few long MP sessions. Crimea's early game is very vulnerable to a boat rush by the Ottomans. As a matter of fact its essentially game over if this happens. Its the best opening move for a OE player.

Build two boats straight away and grab the first house with the king. Sprinkle in a few more boats and its game over for Crimea. The problem is that the OE player can attack Crimea's King from the water essentially forcing him to retreat or experience death by cannon. Crimea's production is very vulnerable because of this. Spamming boats rarely works for Crimea's as well because at this point its 1 for 1 and OE's boats are superior.

The Crimean player can try to compliment his navy by defending the shoreline with units to lend aid to the navy but then your econ takes a massive hit because you aren't capturing houses. More often then not you cant even use all of your recruitment spaces because you have units there trying to fend off OE's naval barrages.

We noticed this near the end of our session and tested a few times to see if it was possible to survive. It just seems to be big of a disruption to the Crimean player's early game.

Maybe a good solution would be to place the kings spot where it isn't accessible via water. Heck i think it would be best if only one square of Crimea's castle was accessible via water, that way harassment would still be possible but it wouldn't be an automatic game over.
Another solution would be to make Crimea and the Ottoman Empire allies, but that would give them a huge advantage!
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Your units.cfg file still has invalid UTF-8; this needs to be fixed.
Superking

Post by Superking »

I hate fighting polish hussars
lover de wesnoth
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Their cost had been raised from 30 to 35 gold, so it should not be troublesome fighting them now.
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

I downloaded the era but I only got 3 maps? For some reason I cannot select the era with all the units and stuff. Using 1.8.6 here.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
mauricepiesligeros

Post by mauricepiesligeros »

Hello friends! I am new to this forum. I congratulate you, these scenarios are very good! Unfortunately I have the same problem, I downloaded the add-on, but only show the maps, I can not selecting the era ... are no factions ... is a shame. It can be solved somehow?
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Which OS do you use? Windows or Linux?
A friend of mine has Linux and encountered the same issue.
I use Windows, I have installed BfW 1.8.6 and I can play the era.
mauricepiesligeros

Hello! Thank you for your answer. I am using Linux, Ubuntu 11.4, and wesnoth 1.8.6.

It's a shame, I've seen some pictures and the units they look great... what may be failing?
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Honestly, I don't know the reason for sure, but I suspect that the OS is involved.
Maybe some special characters of the files' names are not recognized by Linux OS, hence the Era can't be loaded, even if you have installed it.
It's just a speculation, though.
The maker of the Era should know the reason, but he has not been posting for a while here.
:?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

If a campaigns breaks on Linux, but works on Windows, it is in 99% of all cases the problem that the campaign author used wrong slashes (backslashes instead of normal ones): data\add-ons\.. instead of data/add-ons/...
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
mauricepiesligeros

Thank you! I'll try to find the error. If I can fix it, I'll let you know. :D
mauricepiesligeros

Eureka! Solved!

Search in ".../.wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/Eastern_Europe_at_War" folder "_main.cfg" file. Open it an find this line:

{~add-ons/Eastern_Europe_at_War/EEaW_eras.cfg}

Change it to:

{~add-ons/Eastern_Europe_at_War/eeaw_eras.cfg}

And... VOILA! It works!
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Cheers! Well done!
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

Swedish unit "Recruit" is very OP. You can play Sweden and recruit only Recuit and easly win.
Quick bats are quick.