Superking

Re: Best two units, the tournament

Post by Superking »

I think standardising the leader to the human LT was a good idea ^_^
lover de wesnoth
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Superking wrote:I think standardising the leader to the human LT was a good idea ^_^
So it is, and that rule won't change.

For those who think it could advantage some factions, feel free to change your choice of units accordingly :P
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

Kolbur wrote:You could use the PYR Armageddon addon.
It allows more than 2 recruits but you can limit yourself to 2 units of course. It has slighty modified unit costs though.
I didn't find that from the official add-on server.
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Look for "pick your recruits", this will find you Pick Your Recruits Armageddon and also the PickYourRecruits Era which might have default costs (not sure here, haven't tried it).

1.8 of course
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

Kolbur wrote:1.8 of course
Now I found it. Earlier I was looking for it from 1.9. :mrgreen:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I just thought of a problem, which is that due to most people not having scout units, there will probably be situations in which player 1 will have guaranteed village steals. A player using cavs for example might have a nice edge.

You could always ban village thievery before turn 5 or so.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Doc Paterson wrote:I just thought of a problem, which is that due to most people not having scout units...
People without scout units have chosen not to have scout units, so it's not a problem imho.
Otherwise I would demand a ranged attack ban since I chose units with poor ranged attacks :P
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

To be honest, every unit has its own strengths and weaknesses over other units. Dwarves have a chance of the healthy trait while others do not, magicians have magic attacks, some even have poison. Making certain bans would eliminate the views of different stratagems and various other fun aspects of the tourney.
As a side note, glad my lieutenant idea was accepted. Hope nobody hates me for suggesting it, but it just seemed like a logical choice, given that they're pretty basic with no special traits but leadership.
As an even sidier side note, I hope the use of Necromancers to get Walking Corpses is acceptable. I know it's just part of the Necromancers melee weapon, but just wanted to make sure we could use them to get W.C.s even though they are not on our roster for recruits.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

If any of these players is allowed to participate, I will not play:

death160
Great Mage Atari
Atomhead
powershot

They are dishonorable players, quitters, leavers. They signed up for a tournament then disappeared without a word.
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

everyone using same leader losses flair and strategy... An example is if someone chooses to not get a ranged unit since he wants a Elvish Marksman or something. Perhaps a smarter approach is to have a pool of leaders you can choose from (marksman LT warrior red mage ex:) and let people pick there poison.
Great_Mage_Atari

csarmi wrote:If any of these players is allowed to participate, I will not play:

death160
Great Mage Atari
Atomhead
powershot

They are dishonorable players, quitters, leavers. They signed up for a tournament then disappeared without a word.
Well that's not very nice... Actually, I did quit the WTT with a word. But oh well. I actually have time for this tournament now that I am in the country for a while. It seems that the WTT worked out fine anyways. And being incompetent on matters you know nothing about really doesn't help your case csarmi.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Gnork wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:I just thought of a problem, which is that due to most people not having scout units...
People without scout units have chosen not to have scout units, so it's not a problem imho.
Otherwise I would demand a ranged attack ban since I chose units with poor ranged attacks :P
Well that would be very different. Grunts for example would own an army of mostly elf archers, because the raw damage output to gold ratio is so much better. And I don't think elf archers would have a very good time even on the attack, trying to whittle their way through a grunt wall. Scouts/no scouts is different, because for one, the coin-toss factor of whether you're player 1 or player 2 is huge. Depending on what units the opponent has, it could be very hard to clear a P1 thief off of a village before a sturdy P1 fighter unit rotates in and locks it down.

Maybe I should just use cavs. ;)

Though were you wanting this to be a 1.9x tourney or a 1,8x? Imo 1.9x would be better.

P.S. I completely agree with soul_steven about the leader issue.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Great_Mage_Atari

soul_steven wrote:everyone using same leader losses flair and strategy... An example is if someone chooses to not get a ranged unit since he wants a Elvish Marksman or something. Perhaps a smarter approach is to have a pool of leaders you can choose from (marksman LT warrior red mage ex:) and let people pick there poison.
That's actually not a bad idea. So we have a roster of leaders to pick from also? As in there are x number of leaders that we can pick from to be our leader? I kind of like that idea myself.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:
csarmi wrote:If any of these players is allowed to participate, I will not play:

death160
Great Mage Atari
Atomhead
powershot

Well that's not very nice... Actually, I did quit the WTT with a word. But oh well. I actually have time for this tournament now that I am in the country for a while. It seems that the WTT worked out fine anyways. And being incompetent on matters you know nothing about really doesn't help your case csarmi.
No you didn't. You left a game unfinished and said you were resigning. Not a single player but you took it as a resigning from the tournament (and if you wanted to do that, you should have messged the organizer). You left everyone high and dry. You were even messaged promptly after your 'resignment' on thread, asking for clarification. None came. You were sent several PM's but somehow you couldn't take the time to reply them.

Then in the end when it was all clarified, you had the galls to pretend like it wasn't you to blame. You didn't apologize either.

That is dishonorable in my book.

If you join a tournament the least that can be required from you is to reply to PM's, make yourself available on the servers. Actually, you are supposed to look for games actively.
Great_Mage_Atari

csarmi wrote:No you didn't. You left a game unfinished and said you were resigning. Not a single player but you took it as a resigning from the tournament (and if you wanted to do that, you should have messged the organizer). You left everyone high and dry. You were even messaged promptly after your 'resignment' on thread, asking for clarification. None came. You were sent several PM's but somehow you couldn't take the time to reply them.Then in the end when it was all clarified, you had the galls to pretend like it wasn't you to blame. You didn't apologize either.That is dishonorable in my book.If you join a tournament the least that can be required from you is to reply to PM's, make yourself available on the servers. Actually, you are supposed to look for games actively.
Sure, sure. I told everyone that I was resigning from the tournament due to my lack of time. I gave the win to my opponent, as what should have happened. You need to calm down a bit. It's just a game. As I said before, I have time now that I'm in the country for a while. Dishonor isn't judged by one act of fate.