Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tekelili

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by tekelili »

Hi, I am willing to colect faction/p1-p2/map stats from top ladder player games. Rigor already asked for it on ladder page, but I want repeat it here just to make sure everybody understand it.

I will record just games played among top 20 ranked players. Stats of a game will be recorded just if both players were on top 20 places of ladder ranking before start game. I will publish an add on that will show these stats shorted in different ways. Ways to short information will be developed in progression with time, at initial state will be very simple. Add on will be updated every month with new games stats.

I hope we can get very usefull information for balance from this, so I beg colaboration of top players to always start report of a game vs other top 20 with "P1 faction-player, P2 faction-player, Map".

Thanks for your colaboration :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Heyas, I was wondering you guys could help me out with a problem.. After a long time away from the ladder, I finally wish to resume under my account JamesZD but some oaf forgot the password! :augh:

So now I am unable to use my *reasonable* account from a couple of years past.

So I was wondering if the passwords of the accounts were stored or anything similar? I if I have to start a totally new account.. :doh: :annoyed:

ZhuQ_
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

You should set a lower elo limit instead of top20 (which is something that always changes). Make it 2000, for example.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

there is no easy way to give you your password. i suggest you just declare your new account and its alright. sorry for being unable to help you out. as for the data collection: this is already tricky as it is with 20 players, now if you extend it to more and more and more there will be a lot of work, and lets better stick to the work there is already. teke: you need me to announce anything yet on the mainpage? wasnt sure if it was a yes or no ;)
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

What is wrong with the ldder site? It's been unreachable for me for a day now.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

yea the name of this topic should be changed :P
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
schlamarcel

Post by schlamarcel »

i cant reach the laddersite too, today
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Ah damn.. Thanks for trying though! I will keep trying to remember the password in the meantime, see if I come up with anything :hmm:
neki

Post by neki »

We can move it to brutalwesnoth.com, the ladder website I mean. It is paid for two years and cannot make use of it anyways, now that I am retreating from Wesnoth... Just let me know if subversiva.org will be back or not.
chains

Post by chains »

The subversiva.org domain has been sold. And the free account it was using is tied to that domain. The ladder actually consumed significant server resources due to replay downloads that make running it on shared hosting difficult. I'm hopeful that the dev team will see the value in the ladder and help it out with some server space.
neki

Post by neki »

well, I am telling you we have a dedicated webspace for the ladder at www.brutalwesnoth.com, I have unlimited traffic and... I don't know exactly, about 1 GB storage space. If this is not enough, I can extend it, no problem, but I think it should be enough for the next year or so. The software for the ladder is freely available, I just need them to give me either 1) the full site back-up 2) the database partial backup

Closing the ladder website just like that without further notice is totally unprofessional, so I think they actually made backups before they closed subversiva.org...

The more we wait, the more Wesnoth ladder players are being lost, don't expect the devs to lift a finger to help us in this direction, all my proposals relating to developing some Wesnoth website functionality (a replay repository for example) have been refused, because... I don't know, ask them, maybe because the Wesnoth domain/website needs to be plain simple and 100% secure ?! Or maybe because they are just lazy to deal with a small risk and 99% security ?! I don't know, ask them...

Anyways, we need to solve this problem by ourselves, so please the one that has access to ladder.subversiva.org website or database backup, step forward so we can solve this as soon as possible.
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Why dont you take matters in your own hands? Dave made clear this is opens source and he doesnt mind, you just need to find some dedicated programmers. Same goes for your tournament ideas.

You seem to have enough of dedication and energy, do it for the crowd....
neki

Post by neki »

Stay on topic Gallifax, I am right now trying to save ladder, in case you haven't noticed, if you know something about the one that owned ladder.subversiva.org and probably has the website backup or database backup, speak up or better, go ahead and contact him. If not, let him come forward.

Developing ladder from scratch right now sucks, because all the older players will simply quit when all their battles are lost. We need to reinstate the old ladder. Once it is on my server and I will have access to the code/database I will invest all my energy used for playing in coding and improving the ladder software, but this is secondary and irrelevant at the moment, what we need now is LADDER website back up ASAP.

Btw, I can define cron jobs for automatic backups and I worked for a lot of time as a Web Developer in PHP, so I totally know what I am doing and I also have a very good domain name and webspace that I have nothing I can use them for (brutalwesnoth.com) now that I am retiring from playing Wesnoth.
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

neki:
I think it would be great if we could move the entire ladder to your webspace and domain. The current situation is kind of awkward for quite some time already mostly because any of people with actual access are not very active (if at all) here anymore. Afaik eyerouge owned the domain and has access to the server and chains (the guy who just stepped forward asking for hosting help in this very thread :wink: ) also has some kind of access to it (not sure how much though) so you could try to contact them. You also should have got the emails from chains (greg) to your nekiwesnoth gmail email address.
Rigor could have a somewhat recent backup... :whistle:

The ladder project itself with sources is hosted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gamingladder/ so that should be no problem.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

neki wrote:The more we wait, the more Wesnoth ladder players are being lost, don't expect the devs to lift a finger to help us in this direction, all my proposals relating to developing some Wesnoth website functionality (a replay repository for example) have been refused, because... I don't know, ask them, maybe because the Wesnoth domain/website needs to be plain simple and 100% secure ?! Or maybe because they are just lazy to deal with a small risk and 99% security ?! I don't know, ask them...
You’ve had plenty of opportunities to vent elsewhere. Don’t push it, and stay on-topic.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.