[Complete] BWI - Brutal Wesnoth International - Prize Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

johnqwilson

Re: BWI - Brutal Wesnoth International - Prize Tournament

Post by johnqwilson »

It has been a few days...
Does anybody know neki and will comment?
If neki is kia then we'll have to accept it, but it helps to have closure.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I won't dare to say that I know neki, but I had some contact to him. I tried to reach him on several ways since he left Wesnoth. However, he isn't responding to mails, nor was he online in Skype again, nor in any other way contactable for me.
It's a sad thing, but it seems that he completely left Wesnoth. The last time he was on the official server was on 2011-11-06: "04:05:59< lobby> <neki> Good Bye, World!" (taken from the public logs).

Guessing from what he wrote it may be that he is around again under another nick, but as "neki" he probably won't be with us again. If he still is around, he very probably would not like anyone to find out who he is now, as he wanted a "fresh start".

So, concerning this tournament, I think (as alpha1 already explained) that neki won't try again to start this, after putting so much effort in it for nothing.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
neki

Post by neki »

Well, I have been checking this thread from time to time and also the ladder website, although I haven't played a single game/watched a single replay. I want to thank all the people that tried to contact me and make me change my mind, but I made sure I deleted every form of contact with the Wesnoth world and my return will never happen. Regarding the speculations about me playing under a different alias, that's not going to happen either! The YouTube channel, even if I wanted to bring it back, the videos are lost forever. I just couldn't keep up the level of involvement after I got the cold shower with this tournament. I would have stayed around and continued to bring my contribution to the Wesnoth community, but I got only the cold shower and no other form of official support in exchange.

My ladder account will become inactive in two days and I do not intend to re-visit any Wesnoth related thread/website any time soon.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That’s a rather immature approach to things, don’t you think?

Closing your channel and deleting your videos (which, to my knowledge, were fairly popular with the user-base) comes off as taking revenge on not just the Battle for Wesnoth Project administrators, developers and contributors, but also your loyal followers, who did absolutely nothing wrong to you in this act and even went through the hassle of spamming posting at the beginning of this topic showing their support for your initiative. You also did a very good job at completely ignoring Dave’s points and simply giving up on Wesnoth entirely as a game, instead of looking forward organizing a tournament in the future without any official involvement from us — which was not the reason for your channel’s existence and popularity anyway.

Since you aren’t coming back I’ll close this topic in a few days to avoid people needlessly resurrecting it in the future. I wish you luck on your next ventures, but you really need to reconsider your actions and their consequences.

Everyone else should consider this topic soft-locked.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
nani

Post by nani »

Very good post by shadowmaster. Almost everything has been said.
I personally think it's a shame to lose you here, neki. I would've wanted you to put your enthusiasm for the game at the right place.
In our private discussion I praised the work you did with the sorted replay database directly pointing to your youtube-videos.
I wanted you to wipe away the tournament thoughts and keep putting effort in this database and your casts.
As you might've seen, now tekellili seems to be willing to collect information about the top-matches in ladder. (see ladder-news beginning of Dec)
But you were close to putting the whole puzzle together ... with this bundled information about the matches even including analyzing videos,
you were on the edge of having THE resources that would've provided all the needed information to balancing. No more requests for replays,
if there's an issue, since neki has the answer already, that was what I was hoping for ...
Additionally as shadowmaster already stated I also think you're "hurting" every wesnoth-related person more than the devs.
I doubt anyone will ever start saying: "Yeah, it was the devs fault that our beloved neki left." No, instead the community will just be missing you.
Since I think I know how much you were into the game, I hope you're not shooting yourself in the foot here.
I'd bet you had moments of regret after removing the videos ... right? ;-)
Well, I don't wanna be killed by shadowmaster for talking that long after the soft-lock ...
Let me just add: Get over it please, put your emotions and your enthusiasm at the right place, and be one of the most valuable persons in wesnoth.
Come back with the words: "Now more than ever!"
neki

Post by neki »

@nani thanks for your thoughts nani, I appreciate you decided to make a public post about it, but I find no more motivation to invest my energy in Wesnoth. By the way, I am not reading any posts from shadowmaster, jb or Noy
peace

Post by peace »

Hi neki,
nice to hear from you.
you wrote: The YouTube channel, even if I wanted to bring it back, the videos are lost forever.
In this thread Haudegen wrote
I've downloaded all of neki's videos and I'd redistribute them but I'm unsure about the legal situation.
So if you allow him to redistibute your videos some wesnoth players might be very grateful.

you wrote: my return will never happen
Never say never! I know from experience that it's hard to quit wesnoth for good. Maybe you'll notice in a few months. Mabe you're just right though :)

Wherever your path takes you,
peace be with you.
neki

Post by neki »

I give Haudegen and anybody else wishing to do so the permission to use my videos under the GNU GPL license, the latest version available today.
Max

Post by Max »

thanks, neki! good to know they haven't been lost...
Haudegen

Post by Haudegen »

neki wrote:I give Haudegen and anybody else wishing to do so the permission to use my videos under the GNU GPL license, the latest version available today.
I'll create a YouTube channel and upload the videos as soon as I find the time. Some of the very early videos might be missing. Maybe someone else can fill the gaps.

Thank you, Neki.
neki

Post by neki »

Well, I guess not even the ladder website can believe its eyes that I am off the charts for the first time in my Wesnoth "career" :), since the ladder website URL refused to work. Can one of the devs indefinitely suspend the "neki" account ? I want nobody to be able to make a new "neki" account, but I do not want to be able to ever log in myself. If somebody wants to talk to me, I'll be available at nekiwesnoth at gmail.com, though I will check that email once a month or so.

I'll see you guys next time!

neki