Best two units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Superking

Re: Best two units

Post by Superking »

problem with cav/adept is you have no decent village holder
lover de wesnoth
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Yes you do. Adept is a decent village holder and so is the cavalry.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

But the Cavalryman has only 40% defense in a village and no ranged attack, and the Adept only has ranged attacks.
Timshel
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Right, but hitpoints and cold resistance are more important to holding villages against dark adepts. the terrain def% is not as relevant. Doing a small counterattack to injure the dark adept is kinda irrelevant, too, as the ulfs can kill them in one attack regardless of whether or not they are injured.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

In my honest opinion, I don't really care for the Cavalrymen at all. They have so-so hitpoints, a weak base attack (especially at night), and a semi-shoddy level up. To me they're only use-once-and-done scouting units.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

I don't use the cavalryman much either, but I think that between the Dragoon's speed, crossbow, and better armor than the horseman, he makes a nice counter cavalry. Or a counteranythingthatgoesreallyfast.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:In my honest opinion, I don't really care for the Cavalrymen at all. They have so-so hitpoints, a weak base attack (especially at night), and a semi-shoddy level up. To me they're only use-once-and-done scouting units.
That's presumably why the developers decided the cavalryman needed to be nerfed 4 hitpoints in 1.9 :roll:
Great_Mage_Atari

Caphriel wrote:
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:In my honest opinion, I don't really care for the Cavalrymen at all. They have so-so hitpoints, a weak base attack (especially at night), and a semi-shoddy level up. To me they're only use-once-and-done scouting units.
That's presumably why the developers decided the cavalryman needed to be nerfed 4 hitpoints in 1.9 :roll:
Kinda why I don't care for cavalrymen :roll: Double eye rollers!
I just don't really care to have a unit that can't really be used for anything but scouting and village-conquering. I still support my Dwarf Fighter and Dark Adept combo. I'd be willing to put it to the test.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I've never been much of a cavalry fan either, though they do have their uses. Safer attacks than cavalrymen for starters.

I still prefer my spearman adept combo, spearmen had better defenses on most terrains than dwarf fighters. Plus they have a few level up paths too.
Great_Mage_Atari

MRDNRA wrote:I've never been much of a cavalry fan either, though they do have their uses. Safer attacks than cavalrymen for starters.

I still prefer my spearman adept combo, spearmen had better defenses on most terrains than dwarf fighters. Plus they have a few level up paths too.
Given that, they still are lawful, and have close to no resistances at all.
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Im almost hesitant to say this but.. What about augars? Especially in a combo like drake fighter - augar. The reason being you have healing, cold, fire, blade, impact (not really), cover all times of day and perhaps most importantly, you have mobility. As people before me have said, being able to choose your matchups is incredibly useful.

The two main (and fairly significant) downsides would be the cost and lack of distinctive village holders, but I think by abusing your mobility, you could avoid being forced to try and hold your villages, just merely retreat past them, then paste the enemy when its day again.

Just my thoughts. I have no doubt that the grunt-adept might be better, but I thought I would try and think up something new. :doh:

ZhuQ (yay first post) :mrgreen:

EDIT: grammar fail..
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Augurs are kind of fragile, and have significantly lower damage output than the dark adept. Possibly worse, most augurs can be killed in 2 hits from a dark adept at most times of day. Similarly, picking drakes in a pick-your-recruits era tends to backfire because so many people take the DA.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Also, they are costly, and I wouldn't bet on "covering all ToD". For me, it appears much more important to have a strong ToD synergy with only two units. Have a strong combo to pull out together, not have half of a combo at all times...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Great_Mage_Atari

Dixie wrote:Also, they are costly, and I wouldn't bet on "covering all ToD". For me, it appears much more important to have a strong ToD synergy with only two units. Have a strong combo to pull out together, not have half of a combo at all times...
QFT.
I don't mind the Grunt and Adept combo too much. Seems solid enough. The only problem with it is that they are both chaotic. Imagine a Grunt/ Adept combo fighting a Spearman/ Mage combo. They'd be almost equal (not really, but you get the picture). Without a diversity in units' alignment, a team made up of a mix of 2 different alignments could make mince-meat out of a fully chaotic/ fully lawful team.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Lets make an Era.

Faction 1:Grunt adept

Faction 2:Archer- Beserker

faction 3: Elvish fighter- archer

faction 4: dwarf fighter adept

faction 5:Spear man- mage.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.