Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

Strange Legacy

What: Fantasy Trading Sim, RPG
Wesnoth Versions: 1.10.7; 11.13, 12.4, 13.4, 14, 16+
Story:

The orcish invasion came so quickly and the human kingdom was so unprepared, that half of the northland fell into the hands of the orcs within one year. The winter had stopped their approach, but it wasn't my problem. I never cared much for policy. I heard an old man babbling about some old legend: It speaks of three heroes that once defeated an orcish overlord with grey skin, that was about to conquer the entire world. Well, - a good story but I have other problems to deal with. After all an orcish overlord can't be that bad, can he?

I grew up in poverty. My parents weren't rich, but we weren't poor either. I don't remember how they died, but my uncle told me, that they had an accident. My uncle is 'Scarface', a brute of a man and a cunning merchant. I was frightened to live with him, but it turned out to be a rather good life. So I started to work in the trading company of my uncle. It was hard work as it was a small firm, which meant a lot of overtime even though I was a kid. I sometimes believe that my uncle dealt partly in illegal goods, but I could never prove it. Then one day he was gone. I was about 14, but running a trading company on my own? How could that be possible? After a day or two I received a letter containing 100 gold pieces. Shocked, as I had never seen such a quantity of gold, I almost forgot to read the text ...

Description:

Inspired by games like rings of medusa I created a fantasy rpg campaign for one player with a variety of options to earn gold. While in other addon you control an army or a couple of heroes, you will have to take care about only one little hero at the very beginning of his career and help him to survive and make his living. Strange Legacy is a reference to other trading games, such as privateer, frontier, medusa and x-beyond, in which the storyline is either connected with your characters family or an ancient legacy.

As in other RPGs you can follow a main story line with more than 30 missions, but you can also take a bunch of side missions or just discover the world. To be allowed to enter the other parts of this world (there are 5 'worldmaps') you will need to accomplish the first chapter, which takes place on the main map.

The idea was to create a living world that allows an infinte gameplay and that reacts on the strength of the character. With version 0.99 I have achieved this task. The game world will actually react on your strength, be it by increased strength or quality of monsters or a higher number of attackers. Random encounters, Global and Random events will change the game world and offer unique opportunities.

This scenario started as a little cousin of Five Fates, but it grew over the time and 'Strange Legacy' slightly became Five Fates bigger brother. Having more options for character development, more weaponary, consumables, equipments and options than Five Fates will ever offer it should be a nice rpg for everyone who liked Five Fates. If you like to play the same game in alternative ways and to discover secrets and hidden options, than this addon is something for you. By rightclicking on your character John you can open the Heromenu, which allows you to equip your hero, review mission stats, drink healpotions or using items.

The high complexity of the game makes it very hard to test it all by myself. Therefore I kindly ask for response to the game and betatesting. Betatester will find a specific path, which will allow them to take a short cut and start as completly developed character with alternative options such as buying all spells available in the game, jumping to story elements or special maps and teleport around the maps! Thanks in advance.

What can I do?

- infinitely upgrade your character
- discover the unqiue amla path, which unlocks unique abilities (for example turn enemies into friendly units with the becharm attack of the bards)
- equip your character with shoes, rings, amulets, shields and other offhanditems, helmets, armors and melee and ranged weapons.
- equipped items show up and change appearance of your main character
- discover new weaponspecials and armor abilties, that will increase your options
- learn one of 14 profession skills
- learn and use more than 10 different fighting skills
- craft different items in different skillpathes
- buy and upgrade a wisp and discover 11 unique wisp spells
- enemies are able to cast spells
- greater teleport scroll will allow you to teleport to different maps and locations in no time
- enter your house and review your purchased furniture
- buy a variety of own buildings and run them (each offers unique special options)
- conquer own towns and collect taxes
- learn more than 80 spells/abilities like summoning, teleporting, enchanting weapons, transforming, convincing, harming and changing terrain
- conflicts and global events will change the main map
- choose one of 8 paths which will guide your first steps and offer unique options to play this campaign in the way you like
- free accessible cheating path, which will allow you to start with a fully developed character, jumping to events and maps and explore new features
- use a bunch of tools and work in free mines and woods
- explore the open sea with your own ship
- hire mercenaries from different factions and recall them using warhorns which create own camps
- recall three unique hero mercs, each with a unique amla path
- search and find treasures or hidden caves on the map with random results
- do missions for either the trader guild or the cityguard
- these mission are infinite and increase in difficulty
- use different items to heal your allied units or to damage your enemies (such as bombs, cometscrolls)
- eat/drink to recover health, mana and exhaustment
- not necessary to kill anything - gain experience for your deeds and get one of 80 achievements (each achievement will give you 1 exp point more)
- camp in the wilderness and collect herbs, but beware of wild animals that might raid you
- encounter a variety of monsters on different maps, the game will call encounters based on the terrain
- meet with several npcs over the world map, some friendly some lets say more hostile
- buy a variety of unqiue furniture scattered around the world that will increase your options (anvil will allow you to smith, desk to create own scrolls)
- the game world reacts on your character level and will increase quality and strength of the monsters
- explore infinite dungeons with random places of interests, random treasures and increasing difficulty
- the rpg mode allows to featuring many unique classes
- living worldmap with moving npcs
- become a criminal raiding ships and caravans and visit dark temples to unlock the power of the dark gods
- gods sometimes grant miracles when praying, based on your fame
- town guard react on faction reputation and or fame
- random npcs with changing outfits and races
- random enemies with changing outfits, abilities, attacks and specials
- design own spells, armors, weapons, bows and even entire pieces of equipment
- hunt epic creatures for rare ingredients and use them to
- design own 'songs' at the bards guild
- mining and alchemy
- storytelling missions
- infinite quests

Actual Version 1.16:
You can find a complete change list of the past four years and of version 1.16 here:

viewtopic.php?p=668512#p668512

There has been a lot of changes from factions, dark gods, mounts, hunting, missions, partially new story elements and much more.
Here a little overview:
Spoiler:
Attachments
Quickguide2.png
Quickguide2.png (88.05 KiB) Viewed 12708 times
Quickguide3.png
Quickguide3.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 12711 times
Quickguide.png
Quickguide.png (103.54 KiB) Viewed 12711 times
Last edited by Heindal on April 18th, 2023, 4:42 pm, edited 55 times in total.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Boldek

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.9.7 Wesnoth Trading Sim

Post by Boldek »

just a little nitpicky thing in the story line, you said "you received a letter containing 100 cold pieces I think that's gold pieces.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks. I will change that. There is annother thing. I did not changed the main.cfg and so there is still the working title there.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Downloaded it on 1.9.9 and... it doesnt seem to work. The file size is unusally small and it doesnt appear on my campaign list. You might want to look into that

Edit: Yep I failed to notice the small icon wedged betweem Dead Water and Scepter of Fire
Last edited by WanderingHero on November 5th, 2011, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I downloaded it on 1.9.9 and it appears in the campaign list just fine. :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Yeah. I know why it wont show in the campaign list! Thats what I mentioned before: I didn't changed the main.cfg before uploading it still has its working title "Trader". :oops: Sorry! I apologize for any inconvenience. :D

I will upload annother version 0.55 containing some neat extra stuff:

- buy a ship in the harbour and set sails discovering new markets (4 towns with unique products).
- possibilty to buy annother treasure map to find 3 sunken wrecks with treasures
- option in tavern and own buildings: check your status and your equipment
- mountain and swamp upgrades that allow you to enter mountains and swamp territory.
- buy one of 6 different buildings and produce different goods within them
- 6 additional achivements
- bugfixes: changed main.cfg,
- bugfixes: changed the remove_item thing
- bugfix: some slight correction in texts

I will upload that asap, the game will than be much more charming! Its not yet "X3" but I am working on that!

About the size: well its just one worldmap and I builded most of the macros myself (without using this lua things) and do not use own pictures - so the size is ok. It took me long to built some, however, anyone here can now build WORLDS with that macros! Whoever programmed the macro interface --> I owe you a big cup of beer - or candy as you like!

Edit: Now its Uploaded - sorry I found annother nasty bug when testing and fixed it.

Bugreport: It appears that the concept of my storyline has some drawbacks - this shouldn't be but I haven't figured out why this has happend.
When you are to enter a temple and talk to the librarist you can as well go to a tavern. This should not happen. However you will still be able to follow the storyline.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Played a bit of it (why is the icon in such an odd place?).

The idea is intresting, actually reminds me of the trading in the Fabled Lands books (best gamebooks ever), but their seems to be no imtpetus for me to do anything other than run back and foruth between towns making money in repetive loops.
Maybe add a timer or some hints to do somehting else or something? Theirs also no threat or danger, and there no challenge, so my intrest dwindled. I saw the map subplot, i might do that sometime, is it intresting?

How much money do i have to make before i go back to the graveyard and make something happen?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Actually you can return to the graveyard any time. The graveyard will just allow you to finish the game, later you can review your stats giving finalpoints for everything you have done - maybe a nice selfdrawn picture is shown ^_^. There are three ways to "win" the game:
Spoiler:
Ways to make money: Buy and run a building producing goods, go on treasurehunt, making profit by trade or get achivements in several ways. If you follow the storyline you have to enter your uncles place. Its not much, but at least a little bit charming, because the storyline forces you to invest money into additional upgrades. Annother thing will be bounty and trade mission you can make, but thats future. For more hints check the first post, I edit it here and than.

A diary is implented in the next version allowing you to review your missions and your tasks. Also there will be an infinite upgrade system for all your buildings and access to 4 different areas - based on the storyline. I was also thinking about thugs, bandits, wolfs, a rent or tax (you have to pay after x rounds, that gets higher and higher each time). While a tax is very easy to generate monsters are indeed a little tricky - because they would need to be spawned randomly and attack you.
Evander

Post by Evander »

since it is far from finished, I will not try to "rate" it, just some feedback:

- idea is good, but perhaps making a map out of the Main Story Line map would be better? more work for sure, but actual map is pretty featureless
- no limit on speed increase? got to 15 and decided not to upgrade further
- no way to check what city buys what, so it's like "lemme buy a log o wood and go to the capital to see if someone will buy it" which is boring part here.
- no changes to price when you buy/sell a lot of stuff between two cities
- buying buildings. surely, if someone buys a tavern it would be nice to hire a tavern keeper. or a cook at least :)

Ok, so this campaign lacks something like Bad Moon Rising/Grnk the Mighty had. It lacks possibility to go into the city (should be another map) and do shopping.
Would be a nice way to provide gossip and some change from main map to the player.

But seriously - idea is good, and I would love to see this finished :) :eng:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Yeah I've got to work a lot of things out, but thanks for the feedback.

- the trading option for a goods will be changed ín the next version - showing the buyable and sellable goods (and making it easier to define cities)
- there will be the option to conquer enemy villages and earn taxes (also a feature in Rings of Medusa)
- building upgrades are already available, but they just upgrade your income
- i was thinking about upgrades that allow you to produce addtional goods such as brew beer in the tavern, bread in the farm and so on.
- I was thinking about the entering the city idea, too - but so far I was to lazy - I admit it! I should just allow to enter the four mayor cities (harbour city, desert, elven and capital) to reduce the work
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Updated to version 0.7

- rightclick helpmenus - allowing you to drink potions
(replaces the old option in the tavern)
- automatizised weapon, object and flask store
(took me around 2-3 hours to develop and test this - compared with the trapped store this is nothing :()
- 2 different encounters with changing enemies
- bountyhuntersystem containing bountyhuntermissions
- infinite treasuremap bought with random generated value and coordinates
- infinte "cave" generation
- random gossip system
- you can enter Capital City and 9 other maps (including 4 dungeons with a random loot system)
- pathsystem offering to play the way in 6 different ways (adventurer, thief, bountyhunter, trader, treasurehunter, worker)
- four new icons for cattle (own), meat (own), icewine, elvenwine (both wine pictures have been generated colouring the wesnoth green coloured flask )
- now 24 different goods
- producing spot - allows you to produce goods in a specific area, without owning a building
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Ok, it was a lot of work necessary to change the campaign for 1.8 version but now I am finished. It has been tested with 1.8.4.
Please be so kind as to report any bugs you find in this version.

Known bugs:

Version 1.8.4:
- instead of transforming you into a ship, a ship will be spawned if you set sails. This means you still can control your main character around, trading with both your main character and your ship. But the space is still shared. Unfortunately it can happen that your galleon is spawned twice - I still don't know what causes it.

Version 1.9.7:
- I don't know why it happens - however each time you transform into a ship every unit on the map seems to be transformed into a ship as well :lol2:, even though I used a filter.

Both Versions:
- the "carpenter" is more likely a "craftsman"
- some of the random encounter appear to be on the wrong place ... got to check that

PS: Is there a way to convert a map into annother format? It took me several hours to create new maps for the older version - thats annoying.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

version 1.8.5,

in the desert, triggered by bandit encounter,

Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: Arif
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Oh, yeah :oops: ... thanks. The Arif is a unit of the new khalifate fraction, which has been embedded in 1.9. versions but not in 1.8.
I will change that.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Heindal wrote:Oh, yeah :oops: ... thanks. The Arif is a unit of the new khalifate fraction, which has been embedded in 1.9. versions but not in 1.8.
I will change that.
Bear in mind that, as of 1.9.10, all Khalifate data (.cfg files and images) were removed from mainline because they weren't balanced enough to be included in the upcoming stable 1.10 cycle. In other words, referencing those files in 1.9.10+ will also result in an unknown unit error, along with missing images and such. The Khalifate faction is currently being developed as a stand-alone add-on on the official server, so you could either copy the relevant files to your project, or you could require the Khalifate era as a dependency (personally I'd recommend copying the file directly to your project, since the era will undoubtably be changed multiple times, and it might become a pain trying to keep up with those changes for your project).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."