After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

AI
Developer

Re: After the Storm 0.5.0a [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I compl

Post by AI »

Other options:
Pentarctagon wrote:scenario 2:
"Perhaps it was not a good path choice after all" -> "Perhaps this path was not a good choice after all"
"Perhaps it was not a good choice of path after all"

scenario 3:
"Neither of their bands is willing to search a peaceful end to this conflict" -> "Neither of their bands is willing to search for a peaceful end to this conflict"
"Neither of their bands is willing to seek a peaceful end to this conflict"
scenario 6-2:
"assist you once you tell us what you are exactly going to do" -> "assist you once you tell us exactly what you are going to do"
Or "assist you once you tell us what exactly you are going to do", depends on what you mean.

scenario 7:
"I’m not believing that it could be his true intention." -> "I don't believe that it was his true intention."
Perhaps remove the contraction.

scenario 13:
"to take risky choices like that" -> "to make risky choices like that"
"to take risky chances like that" perhaps? Maybe change the adjective.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hi, I've played the first 2 scenarios so far, I'll probably edit in my feelings about the other scenarios when I complete them.
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

Scenario 1: This seems much too easy for me. I spent all my gold but honestly, I feel I could have won this with just the 3 heroes and the allies troops. The gold difference isn't high enough considering how powerful the 3 of them are. In addition, the enemies just recruited lvl 2 knights and invokers. I think the lvl 2 knights may be part of the problem in that they are quite costly for their abilities. If they'd bought 2 lvl1s instead of the lvl2s it would have been harder I think. While invokers are good vs undead, they are very inefficient vs spearmen. I'd suggest upping their gold slightly, lowering mine and maybe the allies too and maybe buying lvl 1 invaders instead of lvl2 knights.

Scenario 2: Also quite easy, mostly because skeletons don't do much damage to other skeletons so you have really good meat shields. I wouldn't up the enemy gold here because its already a bit of a slog but lowering mine might work. Giving the enemy some units that can hurt skeletons would be great but I can't think of any that would fit the situation. Maybe more ghosts but they're too fragile anyway.
Helaron

Post by Helaron »

A little feedback from me: I've played AtS 0.5.0a and i've found myself mostly using Ghosts (Spectres) and Dark Adepts (Liches) when fighting in any scenario. Sometimes i recruited some other units, like Skeletons, Orcs etc. but only as some kind of meat shield. I think there should be a good reason to level some Orcs, Skeletons and Faeries too. Other than that it's a really good campaign. I can't wait to play the second part (if it ever gets made that is) and i really hope there will be a second part.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.5.1 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I complete!

Post by Iris »

Version 0.5.1 is out!

This version, unfortunately, does not contain any Episode II scenarios since I have not worked on that yet. However, there are gameplay changes in this version, unlike the recently released IftU 1.90.1. I didn’t have time* to merge the proposed prose changes, so they are not in this version either.

The changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.5.1:
--------------
* Scenarios:
  * Fixed several inconsistencies regarding cutscene linger mode.
* Units:
  * Turned Galas' bolas attack into an AMLA.
  * Turned Galas' ambush ability into an AMLA.
  * Gave Galas more AMLAs: Strength I, Strength II.
* User interface:
  * Cutscene-only scenarios now use custom UI themes lacking sidebars and other
    useless cruft.
* Meaning “I forgot to work on that”.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vultraz
Developer

Re: After the Storm 0.5.1 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I comple

Post by vultraz »

Some prose suggestions:

Scenario 1
Night falls, and the scouts reported by midday that those cursed soldiers were heading towards our town.
"...and the scouts reported at midday that..."
OR
"...and the scouts reported that those cursed soldiers were heading towards our town by midday."
(It depends on what you want to say)

Scenario 2
I am vanquished, but I curse your race to never see days of peace and joy again for the rest of eternity!
"...I curse your race to never see a day of peace or joy..."

Scenario 3
There must be a way to solve this problem without resorting to fighting. In these grim times, there is only war in the outer lands. Bringing it to our civilization here will be our definitive doom.
"...In these grim times, war already rages in the outer lands, and bringing it into our civilization here will be our definitive doom."
OR
"...In these grim times, with war already raging in the outer lands, the last thing we need is to bring it into our civilization as well. It will be our definitive doom."
(Stylistic, the original might be confusing at first and seems a little choppy)
We have good reasons to think that the loyalists sent forth their mercenaries to do the job and create a dispute among your men to send us all to doom.
"...to send us all to our doom."

Scenario 4
storytxt file
That aside, I’m now certain that our mission in Zocthanol Isle is more essential than I originally believed.
"...that our mission on Zocthanol Isle is more essential..."
We are at a disadvantage, until we can find more information on them, and that’s why finding Zocthanol is so important.
Remove the comma between 'disadvantage and 'until'

Scenario 5
We care little about your stupid wars at the East.
"...wars to the East."

Scenario 6-1
storytxt file
...contemplating the always changing mood of the waves, and pondering my mistakes, and wondering what continued occuring in the Great Continent.
"..what continued occurring on the Great Continent."
Who are you and where you come from? You don’t seem to be of our kin.
"...where do you come from?"
We are elves! There’s no need to point at us with those arrows, too; we’re clearly at numerical disadvantage here.
"...no need to point at us with those arrows, either; we're clearly at a numerical disadvantage here."

Scenario 6-2
storytxt file
The elves guided us across the forests in direction of the mountains in the island’s heart, without saying a word to us....
"...guided us through the forests in the direction of the mountains..."
We come from the Great Continent — from the Far North, beyond the tall Heart Mountains that grasp the sky and guard the green lands where the suns’ light has not been enough to burn those beautiful forests forever.
"...from the Far North, beyond the tall Heart Mountains that grasp the sky and guard the green lands. There, the suns' light has not been enough..."
(just a suggestion as the sentence seems to be a run-on)

Scenario 7
...If our enemies used it once, they may have left behind scrolls, artifacts or maybe hints from which we could...
Add a comma between 'artifacts' and 'or'.
This is impossible! We had made sure there was no evil left in this island!
"...evil left on this island!"
There was very little power left on this one. Maybe he guarded this place for Argan before it was abandoned.
"There was very little strength left in this one."
Hm... I don’t know what I was thinking; there is nothing to see following this stream.
"...there is nothing to see in this stream."
OR
"...there is no point in following this stream. There is nothing to see."

Scenario 8
Maybe we can find an abandoned castle or village to rest while we plan our next course.
"...castle or village where we can rest while we plan our next course of action."
(you don't want to rest the castle/village ;) )

Scenario 9
Let him be, after all, it would be an unelegant move not to tell them what our plan...
"Let him be. After all, it would be an inelegant move not to tell them our plan..."
...well protected and guarded by ancient demons who are not allowing anyone to travel in either direction.
"... demons who don't allow anyone..."

Hope they help :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.5.2a [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I complete!

Post by Iris »

Version 0.5.2 is out!

Still no Episode II since I got a little busy with mainline work, sorry about that.

Version 0.5.2:
--------------
* Scenarios:
  * Merged various prose suggestions and fixes from Pentarctagon, AI and vultraz
    from the forum topic.
  * 06 - Quenoth Isle:
    * Minor improvements.
  * 12 - The Queen:
    * Fixed a case where Mal Keshar could speak when he isn't supposed to.
    * Minor improvements.
* User interface:
  * Removed map borders overlay from fullscreen cutscene UI.
EDIT: less than one hour later:

Version 0.5.2a:
---------------
* Fixed a "unknown unit" error on scenario 06.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.5.3 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I complete!

Post by Iris »

Version 0.5.3 is out!

Wesnoth 1.9.10 has just been tagged in SVN, but it’s not been announced yet, as usual. The official announcement will probably be posted tomorrow or so. Meanwhile, keep an eye on the 1.9.10 downloads section on SF.net ­— the Windows installer .exe hasn’t been uploaded yet, but it’ll probably be ready in the following hours. Also note that I’m offering this link here as a convenience for advanced users; don’t ask further questions about the downloads here.

One of the changes in 1.9.10, as stated in the changelog, involves the XP requirement for AMLA units:
The XP required for an AMLA is now 50*level (and 25 for level 0) instead of always 150.
AtS 0.5.3 is the first version of this campaign to use this rule, but only when playing on 1.9.10 or later. You won’t notice a difference on previous versions. Furthermore, all the custom units affected are enemy/NPC units, so you probably won’t notice on 1.9.10 either. The only playable unit types that are affected by this change are, if I’m not mistaken, Ancient Lich (Mal Keshar), Deathblade (adv. from Skeleton), Soulless (adv. from Walking Corpse) and Dread Bat (adv. from Blood Bat). If you start over on 1.9.10 Mal Keshar’s minimum XP for his first AMLA will be 250 rather than 200, due to his Deteriorated trait. I haven’t decided yet whether this is a good or bad thing. :P

Version 0.5.3:
--------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Shaxthal Drone, Shaxthal Runner Drone,
    Shaxthal Sentry Drone, Shaxthal Enforcer Drone, Shaxthal Hive Queen.
* Units:
  * Updated AMLA XP requirements to match mainline on 1.9.10 and later.
Known bugs:
  • There’s a bug where right-clicking on the gamemap during the cutscene in scenario 6 (Quenoth Isle) will result in Wesnoth aborting after an assertion failure. This is not a bug in AtS, and it’s fixed in Wesnoth 1.9.10. Users of previous versions should simply refrain from right-clicking on that map.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.5.4 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I complete!

Post by Iris »

Version 0.5.4 is out!

This is hopefully the last maintenance version of the 0.5.x series, so I can focus on writing Episode II. The main highlights in this version are a bunch of spelling fixes (both for user-visible content and WML typos), and a missing defeat condition in E1S1.

I am going to take the lack of feedback at this particular point as an assurance that there are absolutely no bugs remaining to be fixed in the first episode and that nobody has any issues with Galas’ AMLA system.

Version 0.5.4:
--------------
* The campaign passes wmllint validation now.

* Scenarios:
  * Various spelling fixes.
  * E1S1 - The Skirmish:
    * The death of the ally leader is supposed to be a defeat condition.
  * E2 - codename "Fate":
    * Very early work on E2S0 (Transience) and E2S1 (By the Moonlight). Since
      the storyline isn't fixed yet and there is only one playable scenario at
      this time, this episode is currently unavailable in regular gameplay.

* Units:
  * Various spelling fixes.
  * Removed Kri'tan.
squareballer

Re: After the Storm 0.5.4 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I comple

Post by squareballer »

Episode I was amazing, great job. Only issue I had was the scenario "The Search for the Past," which was a bit too easy, even on hard. I didn't notice any bugs, however. Can't wait for the next part.

@Helaron: I also found spectres to be the most useful unit, but I found good use for most of the other units too, with the exception of faeries. Never able to keep them alive
Theron

Re: After the Storm 0.5.4 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I comple

Post by Theron »

but I found good use for most of the other units too, with the exception of faeries
Try to get a Forest Spirit (level 3 Faerie) - they are really, really useful.
(One should be enough. The last time I got mine in scenario 3. For getting one so early you will have to feed kills to the designated faerie.)

Teaser:
- Being undead they have similar resistances like the ghost line. In addition to having more HP than a Spectre they have traits. Make sure your Forest Spirit is a resilient one: You will have an excellent meat shield vs. ranged attackers.
- They broaden your attack options: Lawful; 5-5 melee and 5-5 ranged attacks, both magical fire damage.
- OK, they don't have drain but they have limited self healing capabilities.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.6.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.7+]: Ep. II in progress

Post by Iris »

Version 0.6.0 is out!

This is the first version with Episode II enabled and available for playing, although with only three scenarios (one of which is a split cutscene) completed for now. Since one of them requires a mainline terrain added in Wesnoth 1.9.7, the minimum version requirement has been increased. Hopefully this won’t be a problem for most people — after all, 1.9.7 has been available since June of this year. I may later drop support for versions older than 1.9.10, which is the first release under the feature freeze in preparation for 1.10, and it can be thus considered the most “featureful” of the development series before the bugfixing-only stage.

Version 0.6.0:
--------------
* Increased minimum Wesnoth version requirement from 1.9.5 to 1.9.7.

* Scenarios:
  * Reworked character recall logic.
  * Episode 2 (Fate):
    * Scenarios 1 and 2 completed.
    * Scenario 3 completed, consisting of two cutscenes.

* Units:
  * Reduced Sprite's required XP to advance from 70 to 40.
  * Reduced Fire Faerie's required XP to advance from 100 to 70.
There are no known bugs at the moment — if you find one, please report it!

Fun fact: This version was originally supposed to be released on Christmas Eve. You’ll hopefully get version 0.6.1 with E2S4 complete on that date instead.
tr0ll

Re: After the Storm 0.6.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.7+]: Ep. II in progre

Post by tr0ll »

now i am really looking forward to my xmas vacation!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

After the Storm 1 was awesome! :D I can't wait for episode 2.
Now the feedback,
Scenario 1:
Using Malin Keshar as the main shield for the lvl 1 undead was an excellent tactic. The invokers just committed suicide by attacking Malin.

Scenario 2:
The enemy ghosts were a pain to me, as they continuously took out my ghosts, but retaliated with sprites.

Scenario 3:
Recalling and recruiting ghosts/wraiths and moving the all units to the southwest and leaving the elves fighting each other - proved to be quite an effective strategy.

Scenario 4:
I found the runner drones too overpowered against lvl 1 ghost, but were no match for a Spectre. :twisted:

Scenario 5:
Took out side 3 in less than 8 turns, and totally eradicated side 4.

Scenario 7:
Very easy, and leveled up a few Orcish Warriors and Crossbowmen

Scenario 8:
What did you do with the color? My eyes have been paining because of that bluish fog. Anyways, the wardrone was very formidable opponent. Thanks to that, I got an Warlord.

Scenario 9:
Galas' sacrifice was lame, he should have died fighting... :(

Scenario 10:
Mal Keshar supplemented with a Lich and two crossbowmen was just too much for side 3. Finished off side 2 with Forest Spirits and Spectres.

Scenario 11:

Part 1:
Side 4 behaved strangely. If that side went offensive, I was toast, but it didn't. Took out sides 2 and 3, gaining a Wraith and Warlord in the process

Part 2:
Just six units? I chose 2 Spectres, 1 Lich (to supplement Mal Keshar), a near-leveling dark sorcerer, a near-leveling orcish crossbowman and a Orcish Warlord. The Enforcer Drone was not the kind of foe I expected but 'slurbowed' him nonetheless.

Scenario 12:
Defeating the Queen was easy. Sad ending for Malin though. The ending was great.

Scenario 13:
Who was Mal Kendria? Hebuka's apprentice? Or, another Triad member?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Scenario 9:
Galas' sacrifice was lame, he should have died fighting... :(
Heroic deaths don’t happen all the time.
Lord-Knightmare wrote:Scenario 13:
Who was Mal Kendria? Hebuka's apprentice? Or, another Triad member?
As you were supposed to guess from scenario 9, the latter.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I'd start to translate this campaign, but there's only a badly outdated .po at gettext.wesnoth.org. Any chance for an update?