The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.8 Released!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

User avatar
zepko
Posts: 58
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by zepko »

Hey, I've found what I believe is a problem in scenario "03 Left to Die".
The objective is "Defeat Rovistar". I defeated him, but nothing happened. Looking at the code I found out that his death isn't a victory condition and, according to your comments, it's supposed to never happen...
What to do? Maybe you should give him much more gold (I played on easy) and let the objective be just "survive"...
User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski »

Thanks for reporting!

Did you beat the Lieutenant too? The scenario becomes impossible (i think) when you defeat an enemy leader because the other one gets 2000 gold.

I'll change the objective to match the scenario.
User avatar
zepko
Posts: 58
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by zepko »

I didn't even try to kill the lieutenant. He had too much gold and I suspected there was something wrong, so I checked the code.
If Rovistar is supposed to stay alive for story reasons (you meet him again later?) you could just make him leave on the ship if he is killed and end the scenario there. If he has no reason to stay alive, you could make the ship leave without him once he is killed.
And give the player some kind of bonus for killing him in both cases. Otherwise the player could just wait in his castle and defend himself.
User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski »

I suppose the way I did it was a little cruel :P (The 2000 gold is suppose to allow the enemy to crush your forces)
zepko wrote:you could just make him leave on the ship if he is killed and end the scenario there.
That would be better.

Could you attach a replay? I'd like to see how you defeated him, and maybe see if there's anything I can do to make him more unbeatable :)
User avatar
zepko
Posts: 58
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by zepko »

Pewskeepski wrote:I suppose the way I did it was a little cruel :P (The 2000 gold is suppose to allow the enemy to crush your forces)
The way you did there was no way to win once you killed the general...
Here's a replay.
Attachments
TFoW-1-Left_to_Die_replay-t11.gz
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
User avatar
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor
Posts: 416
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 6:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hi, I have been playing this campaign and I have some thoughts:

I really like the dark atmosphere, enhanced by well written dialogue. It feels pretty real most of the time, except in a few cases. Which I might elaborate on later if I have time, which I don't have much left of as I am writing this.


Difficulty Challenging

Prologue:
The Monologue is interesting, and we know it is something unusual that's the bad guy speaking. The cutscene after is largely well written I think. Though it makes the points of each involved perfectly clear, I'd say the debate of the sun kind of drags on from a story perspective. Perhaps in reality it would be even longer I don't know.

The Beginning of the End:
Once I realized the computer was recruiting for me I restarted the scenario, because I had taken all the villages and my computer "pal" got stripped of resources. On my second go I just grabbed a bunch of Rovistars villages just in case I needed the gold later... It gave me a few more units as the north prison camp got more income. Later as my units got injured I took some to heal... Anyway it was medium difficulty, my prison guard allies did most of the dying, while myself only got a few casualties.

Playing the Game:
This one was pretty easy, as long as the group sticks together. I had a stint with some ghosts catching up to some stragglers, but they survived. I figured heading north was a nice spot to explore and defend. By total accident I found the sword under the tree, as I didn't notice it sticking out like a sore thumb against the others. :P

Left to Die:
I also managed to kill Rovistar, on challenging. But it required a "load last turn" a few times... Yeah punishing the player for killing him is not the way to go. :P I'll attach my replay if you are interested. It does not involve the actual killing, as I just loaded a previous turn letting him escape, but you see I had the chance. The walking corpses in the swamp proved a nice decoy for the north enemy.

That's all I can write for now. :)
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski »

Sleepwalker wrote:Hi, I have been playing this campaign and I have some thoughts:

I really like the dark atmosphere, enhanced by well written dialogue. It feels pretty real most of the time, except in a few cases. Which I might elaborate on later if I have time, which I don't have much left of as I am writing this.
Awesome, thanks! The constructive criticism could be useful.
Sleepwalker wrote:The Beginning of the End:
Once I realized the computer was recruiting for me I restarted the scenario, because I had taken all the villages and my computer "pal" got stripped of resources. On my second go I just grabbed a bunch of Rovistars villages just in case I needed the gold later... It gave me a few more units as the north prison camp got more income. Later as my units got injured I took some to heal... Anyway it was medium difficulty, my prison guard allies did most of the dying, while myself only got a few casualties.
Now that I read this, I'm thinking a note should be in the objectives telling the player how he gets his units.
Sleepwalker wrote:Playing the Game:
This one was pretty easy, as long as the group sticks together. I had a stint with some ghosts catching up to some stragglers, but they survived. I figured heading north was a nice spot to explore and defend. By total accident I found the sword under the tree, as I didn't notice it sticking out like a sore thumb against the others. :P
Yeah, this ones an XP factory :)
Sleepwalker wrote:Left to Die:
I also managed to kill Rovistar, on challenging. But it required a "load last turn" a few times... Yeah punishing the player for killing him is not the way to go. :P I'll attach my replay if you are interested. It does not involve the actual killing, as I just loaded a previous turn letting him escape, but you see I had the chance. The walking corpses in the swamp proved a nice decoy for the north enemy.
Could you attach it? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the player from defeating him and so replays will help.

Thanks again for the in-depth feedback :)
User avatar
Evander
Posts: 60
Joined: October 18th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Evander »

I finished his one few days ago.

My thoughts so far:
- not bad, and I would really like to see the rest of the story
- I assume this campaign has something to do with Invasion from the Unknown? I see some connections here
- maps are decent

Overall it is a decent piece of work, however it is annoying at a times.
Most annoying part was with killing the Rovistar, and what happened next. I managed to do that due to having some 3lvl units with me, and then the northern garrison went crazy and zerged me with a lot of units, most of which died trying to attack me from behind the water line as I moved all my units to the port.

I read previous posts and perhaps you should warn a player that if he decides to kill Rovistar, he will "require more vespene gas" to survive the onslaught from the north.

Also, initial type of unit that main hero is has like 16 hps? something like that. It is a hell in the pants trying to lvl him up with all those lvl1 units you have.
And finally. No healer unit? Come on, give us some convict witch doctor!

...so, I will wait for the second part before giving any rating to that :)
User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski »

Thanks for the feedback!
Evander wrote:I finished his one few days ago.

My thoughts so far:
- not bad, and I would really like to see the rest of the story
- I assume this campaign has something to do with Invasion from the Unknown? I see some connections here
- maps are decent

Overall it is a decent piece of work, however it is annoying at a times.
Most annoying part was with killing the Rovistar, and what happened next. I managed to do that due to having some 3lvl units with me, and then the northern garrison went crazy and zerged me with a lot of units, most of which died trying to attack me from behind the water line as I moved all my units to the port.

I read previous posts and perhaps you should warn a player that if he decides to kill Rovistar, he will "require more vespene gas" to survive the onslaught from the north.
I have already changed the impossible trap by making Rovistar just leave if you defeat him. This however is not in yet due to me waiting just a little longer to release the next version. There are some small things I'd like to modify before I post 1.0.4 on the server.
Evander wrote:Also, initial type of unit that main hero is has like 16 hps? something like that. It is a hell in the pants trying to lvl him up with all those lvl1 units you have.
Well, you have plenty of time to level him up. And it gets pretty easy to do so if you find the holy sword in scenario 2.
Evander wrote:And finally. No healer unit? Come on, give us some convict witch doctor!
The campaign is suppose to give a sense of difficult survival - I think a healer would break that. And for the record, a unit with healing powers would practically ruin scenario 9 ;) Besides, it can be an interestingly different experience having to focus more on villages.
User avatar
Evander
Posts: 60
Joined: October 18th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Evander »

Pewskeepski wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
Evander wrote:Also, initial type of unit that main hero is has like 16 hps? something like that. It is a hell in the pants trying to lvl him up with all those lvl1 units you have.
Well, you have plenty of time to level him up. And it gets pretty easy to do so if you find the holy sword in scenario 2.
Time is not a problem. a problem is that main hero is a one-hitter for most of enemies.
And I have never found a sword, never had any idea it is there either :)
Evander wrote:And finally. No healer unit? Come on, give us some convict witch doctor!
The campaign is suppose to give a sense of difficult survival - I think a healer would break that. And for the record, a unit with healing powers would practically ruin scenario 9 ;) Besides, it can be an interestingly different experience having to focus more on villages.
This is something that Fall of Wesnoth does pretty well. Still it could use some "one of a kind" unit that you have to care about because you are not getting another :lol2:
User avatar
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor
Posts: 416
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 6:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Sleepwalker »

Pewskeepski wrote:Could you attach it? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the player from defeating him and so replays will help.
Oops, I meant to do that but it slipped my mind, anyway here you go. I might write some feedback soon, but too late now again I'm afraid.
Attachments
TFoW-1-Left_to_Die_replay.gz
(45.96 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski »

Evander wrote:This is something that Fall of Wesnoth does pretty well. Still it could use some "one of a kind" unit that you have to care about because you are not getting another :lol2:
I thought so too, which is why I already added Tanfa to the campaign :)
Sleepwalker wrote:Oops, I meant to do that but it slipped my mind, anyway here you go. I might write some feedback soon, but too late now again I'm afraid.
How odd. It seems that replays don't work. Zepko's replay didn't work either; They all give a "missing unit OutlawN type" error. But my replays don't give me such problems :hmm:

The Fall of Wesnoth 1.0.5 is released! (It's 1.0.5 because it's more like two versions than one)

Changes:
* Campaign:
  • * Fixed all (I hope) spelling mistakes.
    * Implemented Tanfa's dialog.
    * Cleaned up the {RECALL_FRIEND} macro.
    * Implemented the {ATTACK_DEPTH4} macro.
    * Fixed a bug causing gryphons to be given the "Friend" role.
    * Sound sources have been implemented throughout.
* The Beginning of the End:
  • * New time over and flavor dialog.
    * Added a note about the recruit system.
* Playing the Game:
  • * Added Tanfa, a new character.
* Left to Die:
  • * Added more flavor dialog.
    * Made the scenario end if player kills Rovistar.
    * Placed campfire next to the player's camp.
    * Changed the ship's colors to red.
* Sign of Hope:
  • * Changed the 'stalkers' to loyal units.
    * Made the nest's location random.
* A Message For Magi:
  • * Rewrote the story part to be more in-depth.
* Prince of Evil:
  • * Hid teams more thoroughly.
    * Changed the cave-in to something else.
* Foretold Doom:
  • * Fixed a bug that occurs if you killed Dwarner previously.
* The Emperor's Demand:
  • * Added more dialog at the end.
* Taking Them to the Skies:
  • * Labeled an objective as optional.
    * Made it easier to break the dam.
User avatar
Oleksa
Posts: 5
Joined: May 25th, 2011, 9:56 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.5 Released!

Post by Oleksa »

After the prologue, I see an error message:

The game map could not be loaded: illegal title in map: (Wwwrt) 'Wwrt'
The map cannot be loaded

My version of the game 1.9.7 my OS Windows XP

Please, help
User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.5 Released!

Post by Pewskeepski »

The add-on will work only on Wesnoth 1.9.9 or later.
User avatar
Oleksa
Posts: 5
Joined: May 25th, 2011, 9:56 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.5 Released!

Post by Oleksa »

Pewskeepski wrote:The add-on will work only on Wesnoth 1.9.9 or later.
Thank you
Post Reply