[interface] Overlay for slowed down units

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Caphriel

Re: [interface] Overlay for slowed down units

Post by Caphriel »

Feedback from a red-green color-impaired person:
  • tinttest1.png: Usable with difficulty. Slowed and slowed+poisoned are confusable, poisoned and slowed+poisoned are confusable.
  • tinttest2.png: Usable with difficulty. Poisoned and slowed+poisoned are confusable.
  • tinttest3.png: Usable. Slowed+poisoned and normal may be confusable, but probably not.
  • tinttest4.png: Usable. Slowed+poisoned and normal are confusable.
  • tinttest5.png: Unusable. Slowed and slowed+poisoned are confusable, and slowed and normal are confusable.
  • tinttest6.png: Unusable. All three status conditions are indistinguishable.
  • tinttest7.png: Unusable. Slowed and slowed+poisoned are indistinguishable, and both are very similar to plain poisoned. (Sorry, Gambit :P)
  • tinttest8.png: Unusable. Slowed and slowed+poisoned are indistinguishable, and both are very similar to plain poisoned, but worse than 7.
  • tinttest9.png: Usable. No confusion.
  • tinttest10.png: Unusable. All three status conditions are indistinguishable.
As a side note, the HI seems to be a bit more blue than most units in the game, which is what lead to the similarity between the normal one and the poisoned+slowed one in the blue tints.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Thank you! This is exactly what I need.

So it's really between 3 and 9 right now.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

On 9, the brightness of the three affected units is closer to equal. On 3, slowed looks somewhat brighter, and thus slightly out-of-place. For that reason I'd vote for 9. As that's the one already in the game, I'd say good pick!

HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

Simons Mith wrote:On 9, the brightness of the three affected units is closer to equal. On 3, slowed looks somewhat brighter, and thus slightly out-of-place. For that reason I'd vote for 9. As that's the one already in the game, I'd say good pick!
I think 3 matches the intensity of poison much closer (without it being overboard like 4). 9 is useable, but 3 pops more so it's much easier to tell the difference between slow and poison+slow and just visually reads better. So my vote is for 3 if that matters.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Playing IFtU in 1.9.10- enemies were getting slowed but it seemed as though there was no color change- the units are already a blue-ish grey color. I recall reading in the changelog that the slow color was in the game now? If so, I didn't notice. It may be a better idea to use a less subtle color to indicate it, like a cyan or yellow- but, mixing these with a green will only make a slight change, perhaps red is slow, green is poison, orange is both... Since a unit can be both slowed and poisoned an icon, eg the snail, would be more readable.