[interface] Overlay for slowed down units

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
lipk

[interface] Overlay for slowed down units

Post by lipk »

Currently, you cannot decide whether a unit is slowed down or not without moving the cursor over it and looking at the panel on the side. This makes me sometimes overlook that some of my units are slowed and when I want to move them, it comes as a nasty surprise that they can't go as far as I want. It would be great to put the little snail on the unit's sprite, so it could be seen at first glance if it was slowed.

Also, it's the only 'special state' which doesn't have its own overlay. You can identify poisoned, petrified and (if you see them at all) invisible units at first look.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: [interface] Overlay for slowed down units

Post by ancestral »

Actually, this is a pretty good idea.

What about doing a color-shift on the unit, like with poisoned units? How about a red color? (Red signifying “stop” at a stoplight, and as showing pain or struggle.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I think this is a good idea. A change of color like with poisioned units would be the best way imo. It can be red as ancestral suggested, but I woulndt mind either white or blue (a visual hint for say unit is "freeze"), or even yellow ("ill" or "disabled").

Forgot a unit is slowed is something happens me often in team games, when one of my mates slow a enemy unit near my army. In games like WC where you face lot of AI units is likely to happen.
Last edited by tekelili on November 1st, 2011, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Rather than red, can I add my vote for blue? I may be being a bit too Fate-of-a-Princess-centric with this suggestion, but that campaign has several units with 'freeze' attacks that slow you, and blue for cold/ice-encased works well for freeze-slowers even if the connection for entangle-slowers is less obvious.

A particular reason I say this is that I suggest red should be reserved for enraged-type overlays, or effects such as 'on fire' or similar (that is, either damaging states or what I'd call 'adverse power-ups' such as berserk) something the game doesn't currently have. An anaemic white tinge might be nice for units that have been 'weakened' in some way (or which have been made holy), and green's already in use, of course.

@OP You've given me an idea - I actually have a use for a black tint in a campaign. Cheers for that!

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Really good catch lipk. Done in r51792. Will be in 1.9.10

Looks like this right now.

Things I tried:
255,128,0 (My favorite)
191,191,255 (This is the one in the game now)
Sorry for the giant images. I will be cropping them down. If you get a 404 it means that one is reuploading. Just try again in a few minutes. They're all cropped and reuploaded now. About 200kb each.

Please keep discussing. Especially artists and the visually impaired.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Superb. Can't wait for the next release :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Personally, I like the snail idea better than the color-shift one. It just seems like it would be more obvious what it means than a color shift, especially when you mix it with poison. Also I'd imagine visually impaired people would have a difficult time distinguishing between a unit that has both conditions and one that has only one or the other.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I feel the same way Pentarctagon (all statuses should display their icons). However, I'm not that good at C++ or at reading Wesnoth's source code, so I could only work with what was there already.

And I wanted to make sure something got in before 1.10.

As for the colors to use; still very open to suggestions.
em3

Post by em3 »

For consistency maybe the snail icon should use the same hue as the color-shift?
ride on shooting star
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Done in r51793

If some UMC was using the old snail for something else and really wants the peach skin, they can use images/misc/snail.png
(And of course having the old one handy is useful if the color gets changed.)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Blue would have been my second suggestion, and after looking at it, looks great.

Love the snail icon paired up with the color shift. Great work! :)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I don’t like the white tint. It’s already used for the default selection animation, seen when you click on your own units during your turn.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

How about number three? It's slightly bluer.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Gambit wrote:How about number three? It's slightly bluer.
Given the reasons for blue, I think this one looks best.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

I don't think it's a good Idea to 'overload' the ColorCode for a Unit to indicate another Influence to Poison like Slowed.
I like the Idea to represent that a Unit is slowed. How about using the Icon Snake and draw it similar to a Orb at the Unit.
The green Color for Poison is very obviously though as Generalization I would prefer that additionally another Icon for Poison
gets drawn at the Unit. As there are many Influences thinkable it seems to be reasonable to define a Mechanism how to draw multiple Icons for multiple Influences. I suggest to define a vertical Rectangular right of the Unit and fill it from top downwards with Influence-Icons as necessary and possible and if that Bar is filled abort drawing remaining Icons if there still are some. The SideBar have to be complete for Influences while the Unit carry as much as possible Icons for Influences if there are Influences. These Icons need at last a Priority to decide which Icon gets drawn. Draw-Order doesn't have to be necessarily the same Order.
Just another Idea. The Idea of mixing Green and Blue doesn't let me satisfy about SignalStrength of that Informations. I guess I would often not note that a Unit is slowed. You may consider the BlueCode as Improvement though I don't think it's a Solution.

regards, MK
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9