Shogunate Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Shogunate Faction

Post by Yomar »

Hi I have intention to propose the creation of the shogunate faction, it will comprise units like the samurai (he will fight with a Katana and will be a lawful unit) he will evolve in a Samurai Lord that wears an samurai war armour at lv2, Ninja (with for example some abilities of the thief from knagla faction that can launch Shuriken and has invisibility at night, it will bw a chaotic unit), then Monks that will fight with matrial arts and evolve in Martial arts masters or Monk Masters or alternatively they can be a sort of mages (famous the 2 occasions when monk prayers stopped in 2 occasions an attempt of Mongol invasions of Japan), then Samurai archers that will have markmanship because of theyr hard training and concentration (all this based on real things from Japaneese middle age, with the exeption of the Monks in case that they will be Shaolin Monks instead of priests, anyway its a fantasy game).
So far I made a Ninja unit by modifyng the Orcish assassin.

I'm waiting comments and eventually help to create the faction, I think it would be a great adition to the game in the default era after the right balancings.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Temuchin Khan

Re: Shogunate Faction

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Yomar wrote:Hi I have intention to propose the creation of the shogunate faction, it will comprise units like the samurai (he will fight with a Katana and will be a lawful unit) he will evolve in a Samurai Lord that wears an samurai war armour at lv2, Ninja (with for example some abilities of the thief from knagla faction that can launch Shuriken and has invisibility at night, it will bw a chaotic unit), then Monks that will fight with matrial arts and evolve in Martial arts masters or Monk Masters or alternatively they can be a sort of mages (famous the 2 occasions when monk prayers stopped in 2 occasions an attempt of Mongol invasions of Japan), then Samurai archers that will have markmanship because of theyr hard training and concentration (all this based on real things from Japaneese middle age, with the exeption of the Monks in case that they will be Shaolin Monks instead of priests, anyway its a fantasy game).
So far I made a Ninja unit by modifyng the Orcish assassin.

I'm waiting comments and eventually help to create the faction, I think it would be a great adition to the game in the default era after the right balancings.
Check out the Internet Meme Era. It has a ninja faction. See if your idea would be too similar to that. If your idea is new and unique enough, go for it!
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Yomar wrote:with the exeption of the Monks in case that they will be Shaolin Monks instead of priests, anyway its a fantasy game).
What about Yamabushi, instead of Shaolin Monks?
Yamabushi were japanese monks, more suited to the japanese flavour of your Era.
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I don't think Japan exists in the world of Wesnoth.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

zookeeper wrote:I don't think Japan exists in the world of Wesnoth.
Gosh, I failed to see that line! I only meant he should go ahead with the Asian faction, not that it could be added to mainline.
7thWolf

Post by 7thWolf »

Yomar wrote:I have intention to propose the creation of the shogunate faction
That would be sweet. I would offer my assistance, but, at the moment, I don't have a whole lot of free time (I'd be happy to share ideas, though, if you need any).
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I don't said that Japan exist in Wesnoth it will be the Shogunnate like the Khalifate.
Khalifate are the pseudo Arabians/Mongols (and maybe Turkish) or better Islamic faction (Caliphate in real life with the C pronounced K, ph pronounced f so you pronounce it Kalifate in rl), the khalifa are clearly ispired to them so why not making an faction ispired to Japaneese or anyway Asians ? For me it would be an perfect addition to the default era.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I think you are under-estimating the sheer amount of time and effort that it will take you to even make this a remote possibility.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Pentarctagon wrote:I think you are under-estimating the sheer amount of time and effort that it will take you to even make this a remote possibility.
Exactly. Anyone is free to make any faction he wants (as long as he doesn't violate any copyrights), but getting it into mainline is much more difficult and time-consuming. They've been working on the Kalifate for years!
Superking

Post by Superking »

zookeeper wrote:I don't think Japan exists in the world of Wesnoth.
If the arabs exist in Wesnoth, I dont see why asians can't make an appearance :wink:
Pentarctagon wrote:I think you are under-estimating the sheer amount of time and effort that it will take you to even make this a remote possibility.
99.5% of the effort is spritework and unit portraits. If you are a talented pixel artist then its perfectly conceivable- if you are MS Paint standard then dont expect to produce anything of note unless you do some self-learning or convince other artists to assist you.
Yomar wrote:I'm waiting comments and eventually help to create the faction, I think it would be a great adition to the game in the default era after the right balancings.
Just getting a working faction with all the artwork in place is probably project enough for a few months 8)

When doing the unit balancing, be sure to read the helpful guide thats stickied in the faction & era subforum.
In particular, you need to think about the overall theme of the faction- what its good and bad at- and how each unit fits in VS the existing wesnoth units.

Might I also suggest that you look to create 1-2 custom abilities in the faction to help set it apart from the existing ones/emphasise its strengths.

For example, Samurai might have the Last Stand ability to the effect of, when they are killed they still get to make a complete retaliation before they expire.

You also want to be careful giving the basic archer marksmanship, since that makes it a hardcounter to all the elusive foot units.

Lastly, be sure to plan some fantasy elements- the other mainline wesnoth factions have mythical creatures and magic, so it would not be consistant to make the faction wholly historical. Japanese mythology is ripe with potential unit types. I suggest they have a sea unit in the form of a Giant (enemy) Crab!
lover de wesnoth
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Ty for the suggestions Superking, in fact I allready made many thoughts of what you said, in fact it would be a fantasy version, at worst it would be a custom era, and it will be a fantasy faction, it will include Japaneese mythological creatures, like the Kappa a water creature, and the archers will have markmanship only after evolution or altrnatively they will do little dammage (like the orchish assasin but without poisoning), and maybe some karate fighters.
Anyway I just launced the idea, maybe some ppl will find it enough interresting to realize it, at least like an add-on.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yomar wrote: Anyway I just launced the idea, maybe some ppl will find it enough interresting to realize it, at least like an add-on.
I do not mean to discourage you from the project or tell you your idea is not a good one, but if you expect someon to come in and do the job for you, you might as well drop the project. Able people already have their hands full with their own ideas and don't particularly seek to work under the orders of just anybody who appears to have an idea. Besides, becoming one of those able people isn't all that had (code-wise, at least). Plenty have made the step before, why not you? :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The idea has been proposed many times and even published a few times. For example, this proposal: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25783

Someone mentioned the Internet Meme Era which has samurai.
Also, the Mercenaries era has samurai.

Despite all of that, for some reason no one ever used that cool samurai sprite that Neoriceisgood made (maybe because it lacks team color, I don't know).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Yomar wrote:it will include Japaneese mythological creatures, like the Kappa a water creature
The Kappa is a kind of Yokai.
It seems this era: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ilit=yokai
needs a maintainer... Just a thought though...

(I think that it is okay if Ninjas / Kunoichies are in the era.)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server