Some Khalifate questions for Wesnoth 1.10

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Coffee
Inactive Developer

Some Khalifate questions for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Coffee »

Hello

Since the 1.9 development branch seems to be going in the direction of a feature freeze, etc. and finalizing before 1.10 I want to ask 2 questions about the Khalifate faction.

Firstly, will there be a separate Khalifate+default era or will the Khalifate be merged into default?

Secondly, just wondering if the Khalifate will become a liminal faction? I heard an unsubstantiated rumor on this some time back and I suppose it would make sense because deserts where they live would be very hot in day and very cold at night making the best time to do things outside at twilight times.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Re: Some Khalifate questions for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Noy »

Coffee wrote:Hello

Since the 1.9 development branch seems to be going in the direction of a feature freeze, etc. and finalizing before 1.10 I want to ask 2 questions about the Khalifate faction.

Firstly, will there be a separate Khalifate+default era or will the Khalifate be merged into default?
Separate era for now...
Coffee wrote:Secondly, just wondering if the Khalifate will become a liminal faction? I heard an unsubstantiated rumor on this some time back and I suppose it would make sense because deserts where they live would be very hot in day and very cold at night making the best time to do things outside at twilight times.
Its going to happen, and will emerge in the next 1.9 release. However we will not be able to do any balancing for it because of the liminal change... so I'm not sure what will happen with 1.10.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Thanks for the response Noy. Really wish you well with this faction going into default. I have to say I initially had some issues with the Khalifate faction, but after playing around with them for a while I think I'd miss them if they were absent from 1.10, especially if they are to become liminal and spice things up a bit.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

As I wrote in the Thread for the Liminal Alignment, you have to multiply the original damage by 1.2, effectivly making the bonus in Twilight 20% and the malus else 10%. So the balance is not that much the new distribution of damage modificators, but more on the strategic effects of having a decreased bonus at the time everyone else deals avarage damage, but sufferingalbeit rather small penalty at the four other times.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hmm, changing them to Liminal will change the dynamics in all the match ups, effectively making previous balancing discussions mostly useless. I don't know when 1.10 comes out but it seems like too little time to rebalance the faction again before the release.

If this change going to happen in the next 1.9 release, do you know when that is coming out? It might be worth delaying the start of the 1.9 tournament so that all khalifate games there are played with this change.