Best two units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lotheran

Re: Best two units

Post by Lotheran »

Hi, everyone:

Newbie to the forum, not so much to the game though.
I thought might be best:

1. Orcish Assassin
2. Horseman

Orcish Assassin poisons and weakens opponent and the Horseman moves up for the killing blow.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

No one's mentioned Shaman + Ulfserker? I mean I guess it wouldn't be the most versatile but that's a damn good synergy.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Yes, third post of the thread, by pauxlo.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Orcish Assassin.
Troll Whelp.

Blade and impact damage. And the regeneration gives trolls great staying power on the right terrain. You can let the enemy attack during the day, absorb the hits with trolls and poison the everloving crap out of them. When your units heal 8 and theirs lose 8 every turn, it doesn't take long.

Alternatively, shamans + ulf because a slowed unit is a dead unit against ulfs.
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Cavalry and horseman would destroy either of those combinations... if you don't think so, PM me a time and we can test it out on the 1.8 servers. Their great speed, durability, and striking power make them good vs almost any chaotic combo and most lawful ones (although clasher or spearman would both destroy them)
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Looks like I'm the first to suggest this, but...

Ghost for the speed, strength against physical attacks, drain, reliable terrain defence, fairly easy to level up into decent warriors or excellent skirmishers. High cost means that they need something swarm-y to back them up, though.

Peasants for cheap fodder and to soak up arcane damage. If any of them manage to level, they've got a couple of decent options open, but it's mostly just for sponging damage and providing a solid wall of bodies for the ghosts to fall back through if the fight goes sour.

Against heavy opponents like the ulfs, whelps and grunts, the ghosts can be relied on to take them out before they decimate the peasants too much, while poison and slow won't hinder the ghosts, and failing to kill a peasant in one with assassins/dark adepts/shamans will waste a lot of your turns or HP.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Superking wrote:Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.
Emphasis mine. Peasant doesn't qualify. Also, the ghost is probably a poor choice for the same reason it's a poor choice in the pick-five era: dark adepts make short work of it.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Caphriel wrote:
Superking wrote:Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.
Emphasis mine. Peasant doesn't qualify. Also, the ghost is probably a poor choice for the same reason it's a poor choice in the pick-five era: dark adepts make short work of it.
QFT
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

And I don,t really see how it would be all tha good - the peasant is about the worst lv0 out there, it would be just a lot of free exp for your opponent. Plus, no ToD synergy with the ghost... You'd be better off with a gobo or a WC. Or screw that, just a grunt, troll or spearman. (not mentionning the discutable ghost choice)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Ok, ok, not peasants then. There's got to be some decent fodder out there, that's strong to arcane and available in hordes.
Great_Mage_Atari

Superking wrote:Simple challenge:

Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.
Bolding done by your's truly. There are three (count 'em) units in default Wesnoth MP. They are the Goblin Spearmen, the Bats, and the Walking Corpses (am I forgetting any?). None are good against arcane attacks, and none can survive a strong Lv. 1 army that can reap them for XP. I would just put it to rest and quit trying to put together a "strong" two unit recruiting block with a Lv. 0 and a Ghost.
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:Ok, ok, not peasants then. There's got to be some decent fodder out there, that's strong to arcane and available in hordes.
Grunts of course. :D
Superking

Post by Superking »

ghost is hardcountered by any composition involving dark adept, and wont fair especially well against any other composition with a decent ranged damage dealer. ghosts are also v. low damage:cost, so wont fair especially well against plentiful troll regen.

orc assasian is hardcountered by any composition with dark adept, mage, undead units, regen aka troll whelp etc

atm im feeling troll whelp & dark adept.. max resilience married to max damage. shamens arent going to acheive much slowing the whelps, and they arent going to want to even try slowing dark adepts.
lover de wesnoth
Great_Mage_Atari

Superking wrote:atm im feeling troll whelp & dark adept.. max resilience married to max damage. shamens arent going to acheive much slowing the whelps, and they arent going to want to even try slowing dark adepts.
Eventually both are going to be at a huge disadvantage. When it hits daytime, most hard-hitting loyal units (and even neutrals) can make mince-meat of both them. The troll whelps (though extremely hardy) will be slaughtered due to lawful units' strong attacks, and will offer close to no counter-attack offensive. The adept will be killed easily, as it has no unit to protect it during the day. Which is why I support my Dwarf Fighter and Adept combo.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

burners and ulfs?