1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RaustBD

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by RaustBD »

hey, do you ever get any lawful units? The Ukian flareman's illumination ability seems to serve no purpose other than empower certain of your enemies currently. Will I be getting lawful units later?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

HaJo wrote:If the "Archaic Era" is needed for BadMoonRising, it should automatically suggest to download it.
I have seen at least one other campain that does that.
It used to handle that more gracefully, but it's not the sort of thing I test very often. Thanks. I did at least mention Archaic Era in the download description.
RaustBD wrote:The final blow was struck by my commander, and I was greeted by Irid the TALKING DOG.
Yeah, those dogs require lots of extra filters to prevent that. It's a pain in the ass, I should just replace them with elves.
RaustBD wrote:hey, do you ever get any lawful units? The Ukian flareman's illumination ability seems to serve no purpose other than empower certain of your enemies currently. Will I be getting lawful units later?
No, but there are chaotic enemies.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

doofus-01 wrote:
RaustBD wrote:The final blow was struck by my commander, and I was greeted by Irid the TALKING DOG.
Yeah, those dogs require lots of extra filters to prevent that. It's a pain in the ass, I should just replace them with elves.
PLEASE DON'T. Those dogs are awesome, and they fit the terrain nicely. Why not just make it so only your commander says that line? That makes more sens anyway.

And in any case, this would be downright twisted:

"The Elves are upset about something..."

"We did as you asked, it's not our fault they have guard elves. Now where's our money?"

"We should send Elves across the river. Not only will they scout the enemy position, but with any luck, they will convince the enemy that we are not hiding scared."
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Also, did you put in some kind of scripting to protect Carusoe in "rescue"?

I ask because I keep getting ridiculously bad rolls against him, to the point where it's driving me crazy. It took me like 10 minutes of save-scumming (I had gotten suspicious of my ridiculous consistently bad luck against this specific opponent, so I just said "screw it" and save-scummed) to land a single shield hit on him, and then, once slowed, I prepared an attack dog to attack him. The battle specs said that a berserker attack would result in a 98% chance of the dog killing him.

And yet I haven't been able to get that result once in the last 15 minutes of save scumming. I'm not joking. I'm getting a 2% likelihood outcome consistently, no matter what I do.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

RaustBD wrote:PLEASE DON'T. Those dogs are awesome, and they fit the terrain nicely. Why not just make it so only your commander says that line? That makes more sens anyway.
I was just kidding - damned internets if it wasn't clear. No, it's just that every line where the ukians say something, I have to remember to write a human vs dog situation. Getting through the human dialog is challenging enough.
RaustBD wrote:Also, did you put in some kind of scripting to protect Carusoe in "rescue"?
Yes, set Raenna on him. I tried to hint at that with the dialog.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.0 has been released. It is worth downloading because it has significant changes to some scenarios. You will need to download the latest Archaic Era too.
doofus-01 wrote:
macherb wrote: BTW: From Scenario "Snowblind" on I only could recruit but had no units for recalling, is this correct?.
That is certainly not correct. It didn't used to do that, but I have not tried it with the more recent 1.9.x releases. At this time, I cannot even guess what is wrong.
This has been fixed, it was a stupid mistake introduced in the Carusoe & orcs cut-scene preceding Snowblind.
doofus-01 wrote:
RaustBD wrote:Also, did you put in some kind of scripting to protect Carusoe in "rescue"?
Yes, set Raenna on him. I tried to hint at that with the dialog.
I misread what you wrote, so my answer was nonsense. For Rescue, you should be able to hit him just fine. In later scenario, he is "protected".

Scenario Mirror Pond has been rewritten. It probably still needs some work, but it is playable.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.1 has been released. There are a number of minor changes, but the most noticeable change is that the second-to-last scenario has been revised.
Evander

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1

Post by Evander »

Having completed all 3 parts of Bad Moon Rising, I think I can provide some feedback here :)

So at first, let me tell about the stuff I don't like in BMR:

- Slighty unbalanced ukian units against orcs and wesnothians. low lvls are dying so fast, that to get them to 3 lvl is quite a feat.
- Escape scenario and one other (can't remember it's name) quite stand apart from the rest in terms of difficulty.
Escape does provide you with little info of what to do next (some dialogues like "Keep running west!") and the following scenario with
underwater river is especially annoying with all these high lvl nagas killing most of my party. I actually fought saurians with my skirmisher
dogs (draw them away and grabbed witch with a dog), as there was no other way for me to do it.
- Random encounters are all too similar
- Lack of description for some units
- Items non stackable. I wasn't even trying to buy steel arrowheads and elvish boots for an archer, and not sure if it is possible
- Biggest Issue - wesnothian units could not have any items on them. A major drawback, because I managed to keep a Peasant from 2nd scenario with me until the end of campaign as halebardier :)
- Little to do on World Map apart from random encounters

So now the more important part - what I liked in BMR?
Pretty much anything else apart from mentioned issues, but to be more precise:

- Maps are finely crafted and don't really stand apart from Main Story Line
- Speaking of Story line, that is a hell of a job - second campaign I found to be so interesting is Grnk the Mighty. basically a story line is the reason why play BMR
- Units and races, well made and apart from Bosses pretty well balanced. Graphics are quite cool
- Item shops are a good thing, as they can give your units this little extra they need to be effective
- Skirmishes, as they are good for leveling up heroes and weaker units out of combat and provide you with some gold
- And finally - a World Map. No, wait The World Map. I think this concept is so good and has so much potential
(think of a strategic map for warring kingdoms campaing where you fight for teritories) that I believe it should be implemented in BfW as a feature.

To sum this up, this is like 9/10 and surely worth playing, as a time with Bad Moon Rising will be a good time :)

:eng: A Mark of Quality :mrgreen:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the comments.
Evander wrote:- Skirmishes, as they are good for leveling up heroes and weaker units out of combat and provide you with some gold
- And finally - a World Map. No, wait The World Map. I think this concept is so good and has so much potential
(think of a strategic map for warring kingdoms campaing where you fight for teritories) that I believe it should be implemented in BfW as a feature.
It was my attempt to make it so that if you head into a scenario without enough gold or veterans, you don't have to repeat previous scenarios. More could be done with it, as you suggest. The engine supports quite a bit that doesn't show up in mainline (to the best of my knowledge).

Some of the negatives I can address:
Evander wrote:- Slighty unbalanced ukian units against orcs and wesnothians. low lvls are dying so fast, that to get them to 3 lvl is quite a feat.
I've heard this before, but I've also heard the opposite. If a faction is hard to use because it really is underpowered, that is no good. But if it is hard to use because it is not a carbon copy of elves, or some other mainline faction, and takes some getting used to, that is good. I'm not the most proficient player, so for all I know, it could go either way. Time will tell.
Evander wrote:- Random encounters are all too similar
If I'm reading you correctly, there is a lack of variety in enemy units? I'd like to address that at some point, but it is a big project. Just grabbing other UMC factions and randomly throwing them in there seems cheap.
Evander wrote:- Biggest Issue - wesnothian units could not have any items on them. A major drawback, because I managed to keep a Peasant from 2nd scenario with me until the end of campaign as halebardier
I think I've fixed this, but the changes would not take effect unless you start from the second scenario again, unfortunately.
Evander wrote:- Little to do on World Map apart from random encounters
Yeah, I wish I had more time. At least it can be fixed later.
Superking

Post by Superking »

just dropping in to say, holy crap this is good! Definately the most mature campaign I have played so far in terms of dialog, plot & characters. frequently nail rippingly difficult (on high difficulty though). Great artwork, especially the bosses. Is this mainline for 1.9? I hope its mainline for 1.9.
lover de wesnoth
Evander

Post by Evander »

doofus-01 wrote:Thanks for the comments.
I read about how difficult is to get feedback on this forum and decided to provide you with some :)
It was my attempt to make it so that if you head into a scenario without enough gold or veterans, you don't have to repeat previous scenarios. More could be done with it, as you suggest. The engine supports quite a bit that doesn't show up in mainline (to the best of my knowledge).
In my opinion, as a person who have seen a lot in his life, World Map in any form is usually a good thing.
to name some things it allows us to do:
- set a dynamic and changing global area to narrate story line
- allow for random encounters and not so formal form of campaign - freedom of movement for players
- add side scenarios for extra flavour and story
- allow a typical strategy game world map for warring factions
and so on, and so on...
I've heard this before, but I've also heard the opposite. If a faction is hard to use because it really is underpowered, that is no good.
But if it is hard to use because it is not a carbon copy of elves, or some other mainline faction, and takes some getting used to, that is good. I'm not the most proficient player, so for all I know, it could go either way. Time will tell.
It is eventually possible to overcome this problem and level up a lot of units, but ultimately it comes down to luck during combat. In BfW you can either kill or lose a unit in a single turn.
If I'm reading you correctly, there is a lack of variety in enemy units? I'd like to address that at some point, but it is a big project. Just grabbing other UMC factions and randomly throwing them in there seems cheap.
Not really. I meant more diversity with orcs units, like ' wolf riders party' or 'assassin party'. Right now we have a mixture of random orc units going to the left side of the screen ;)
I think I've fixed this, but the changes would not take effect unless you start from the second scenario again, unfortunately.
Evander wrote:- Little to do on World Map apart from random encounters
Yeah, I wish I had more time. At least it can be fixed later.
Perhaps adding a scenario like a shop where you would just have your ppl walk around would help. Sort of Camp or smth. Just a loose idea.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Evander wrote:- allow for random encounters and not so formal form of campaign - freedom of movement for players
That was something I tried near the beginning of Part II, the player could go to scenario Rescue or scenario Camp. It sort of blew up in my face - linearity has certain advantages, from the author's perspective.

But if BMR is still being developed two years from now, this is probably something that will have been developed more.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Sorry if it has been fixed. But I have just played the "A Trial" scenario. Winning while being a swordsman is really hard. I had to load game hundred of times.Because with melee attacks and the recover every time you attack the monster, every time you encounter it, it is nearly recovered.And it attacks you without risk because you don't have ranged attacks.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yes, it was pretty annoying. I've made it a little easier, it will be in the next update.

Thanks.
jdr90000

Post by jdr90000 »

Howdy I'm playing Bad Moon on 1.10.1, never played it before. Am I insane or are the trolls in the first level (Abandoned) programmed to hit every time automatically, no matter what? Or am I merely experiencing a legendary run of bad luck? I can't even get past the 3rd or 4th round. Thanks for the help, I've heard a lot of really great things about this campaign, would love to play it!