The Battle for Wesnoth ONLINE

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darkry

The Battle for Wesnoth ONLINE

Post by Darkry »

Hi,
one month ago I had an idea to create an online version of The Battle for Wesnoth. I started to develop the first simple version. I used javascript with jQuery (jQuery has to go away, it slows down the whole game) on the client side (and HTML, CSS of course) and PHP 5.0 with Nette Framework(http://nette.org/en/) and database MySQL on the server side.
Now I have a map generator (based on simple SQL table). I also have the system for placing units on the map and for marking their sides (colors) and finaly the simple movement system. It is a pre-alfa version. So be patient, please. The developement is hard.

Actual version you can see here: http://www.dark-project.cz/wesnoth/map-view/1
Head JavaScript file: http://www.dark-project.cz/wesnoth/js/map/base.js
An example from the server-side program:
Spoiler:
A screen of the database:
Spoiler:
I look forward to your comments and opinions and if anyone likes to help me with the development it would be great!

Darkry

krystof [at] dark-project [dot] cz
kry6 [at] seznam [dot] cz
Last edited by Gambit on October 18th, 2011, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spambots read these forums. Don't want anything harvesting your email address.
Colouredbox

Re: The Battle for Wesnoth ONLINE

Post by Colouredbox »

I could play this for hours already :lol2:
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

This is the first Online Battle for Wesnoth thing I've seen working, or even remotely working yet. If you get this to work well, that would be awesome. Although I don't know how you would implement campaigns without a half-hour load. Maybe just multiplayer?

Anyway, this looks very cool. Good Luck.
Timshel
Darkry

Post by Darkry »

Hi,
thank you very much!

and now some news about Wesnoth Online:

1) I have invented the princip of the game. How it will work on the server (one big server with many players and then small multiplayer games - 2 players - which will look like normal Wesnoth). It is hard to explain it :-).

2) I'm working on the Wesnoth Online Web when I publish news about the development.

Is there somenone who can make webdesign and would like to help?
Please contact me!

Sorry for my English :-D

Darkry
Tshemmp

Post by Tshemmp »

Wow, you have done a great job, this looks really nice.
But honestly, why do you want to make Wesnoth ONLINE? I don't understand it, since the "standard" Wesnoth is playable online, too. Could you point out the advantages you think of for me?
Theoretically there is no difference between theory and practice. Practically there is.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Well, people with a slower internet connection, or people who cant install it, can play.
Timshel
Darkry

Post by Darkry »

Tshemmp:
You can play from everywhere (library, school, etc.), you can play with many players (create alliances), you can see your skills in statistics and compare it with other players. You can play "one game" for several weeks (one big games consists more "small games" - "small games" look like classic multiplayer Wesnoth).
Darkry

Post by Darkry »

Hi,
I'm working on unit movement with multiple units (one unit can't go "through" next unit - must circumvent it). And I need some JavaScript expert to help me with this problem. Movement is the hardest part of javascript part of game. If there's anyone ho knows JavaScript well, please contact me:
kry6[at]seznam[dot]cz
or
Darkry

Post by Darkry »

Hi,
I created an GitHub repository. You can find it here: https://github.com/Darkry/Battle-for-Wesnoth-ONLINE

And now I'm working on implementing the A* (Astar) algorithm.