Scenario Review: (UTBS) 13. Epilogue

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: (UTBS) 13. Epilogue

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Bircoph

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 13. Epilogue

Post by Bircoph »

(4) Storyline is good enough, but could it be enhanced a bit?
The idea is to explain how or why Aliens aka fake Eloh appeared there.

Maybe something was found during dismaltling of central citadel, some documents or records from the ancient reseachers settled there. This will be in consistency with story of Mermaid Diviner, as memraids already found some ancient records on other isles. It maybe just some history and unfinished record of experiment finished so badly. Or story may became more sophisticated at your choise.
Per aspera ad astra!
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
1.8.4, Desert Sentinel (Challenging)

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
Yes, I loved it, just like the rest of the campaign.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
I loved the ending. When I looked at the code I was surprised to discover that I had been allowed to let Nym and Zhul die in the previous scenario, and that who died actually changed the ending a bit. Very nice touch.

6) Do you think the scenario's WML is clear and commented well enough? If not which part would you like to see improved?
Well-documented.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
baiy

Post by baiy »

I think there should be some story about Elyssa. I missed her very much since her leaving....
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

baiy wrote:I think there should be some story about Elyssa. I missed her very much since her leaving....
Play IftU. :P
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

elvish_sovereign wrote:Play IftU. :P
That doesn't count since she's not playable in it.

I think I've heard of her appearing in The Sojournings of Grog, but I'm not sure. That campaign follows the allied trolls' continuity, while IftU intersects with the allied dwarves' instead.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) Difficulty, version? Challenging, 1.9.4 (I don't care)
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 1
(3) How clear? No
(4) Dialog? Excellent! Someone finally ended a campaign without any talking about battles and events. It ended with a party :D
(5) Challenges? No
(6) How fun? (1-10) The campaign was great *Thumbs up*
(7) Changes? I second the comment that Kaleh should have said something about Elyssa
(8) Reloads or restarts? No
(9) WML? ...
(10) Replay? No
(11) Map? Well done
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

1) Version and difficulty? 1.9.7, nightmare
4) Storyline and dialog? Verbose, without moving the reader. You tried to do character development rather than project into the future. For Nym, I'd like to think she was appointed to Sergeant Major by General Grok (or highest ranking surviving fighter), but was drummed out for insubordination, and she now tends a kebab (or hot dog) stand near the Garak Oasis. And similar stuff for the others. I want to be surprised, not read stuff I already know.
5) Fun, gameplay, mood, etc.? A little bit of a weak ending to a stupendous campaign.

I finished the campaign on nightmare with no reloads during any scenario (but I did restart scenarios.)

The campaign as a whole is wonderfully strange. At first I was resisting the concept of desert Elves, and tried to think of them as Fremen (from Dune), but eventually I embraced the idea. It's rather Larry Niven-esque, in following the evolution of people and societies following some calamity (e.g., the novel The Integral Trees.) I would encourage the campaign author to try to write a science fiction novel. I'm pretty sure it would be great.

Most of the scenarios are like 2 or 3 scenarios in one. It's kind of a pain for people who don't save-reload during a scenario. I'm not sure what it accomplishes that wouldn't be accomplished by simply using overlapping maps, so you can see that the next scenario continues where the last one left off. But it's too late to change now, and it's just one more thing that makes this campaign unique, so vive la difference.

Edit: For 1.11.15 (nightmare), I felt better about the ending, and I assume it has changed. One thing I'm wondering about is why are the desert Elves lawful? Desert dwellers would be either nocturnal (chaotic) or active only at dusk and dawn (luminal or neutral?) I hardly think they would be fighting their best in the heat of the midday sun.
Last edited by Maiklas3000 on June 4th, 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I played the campaign on Sentinel (Challenging) difficulty, version 1.9.9.

The end reminded me a little of another hero writing memoirs in the end of an epic non-Wesnoth fantasy campaign. There is nothing wrong with it, but if this could be done with a background image or two instead of the scenario map it would be better. At least it should be clear that Kaleh is writing someting. That the dialog shows the portraits of other people when Kaleh is writing about them is good, but it confused me first. The whole "I have to protect Nym" part was off, levelling Kaleh to desert marshal my resilient Nym had in fact 11 hp more than him.

I did restart the epilogue once (to understand who is speaking).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

hardest. l think should be desert sentinel
OH MY!!!! I LOVE UNDER THE BURNING SUNS!!!!! KALEH IS AWESOME LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!~~ :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ^_^ :)
An EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant be funnier.
6) Do you think the scenario's WML is clear and commented well enough? If not which part would you like to see improved?
Oh my! it is god damned complicated to seeeeeee~~~but acording to the variablity of the game, very well
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

Such a good end! I love it! The elves gains what they deserve. An interesting, exciting, magic, unforgetable story! Thanks for all the developers!
Attachments
UtBS-Epilogue.gz
(19.46 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
rmj

Post by rmj »

There are three images of main characters that can be currently improved using mainline images:
Esanoo--merfolk netcaster;
Melusand--merfolk priestess or high priestess;
and Grog--the recent troll images.
rmj
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

rmj wrote:There are three images of main characters that can be currently improved using mainline images:
Esanoo--merfolk netcaster;
Melusand--merfolk priestess or high priestess;
and Grog--the recent troll images.
Planned to be done as part of the ongoing redesign.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- A very nice dialogue and how Kaleh narrates the events of his journey for the greater good of his elves. I would like to know more about how Yechnagoth came to be here and so, but the ending is pretty good so I can forgive that

- A good ending that's what I say.

P.S. Now that I'm done playing all the campaigns on easiest difficulty (except Dead Water), I'm gonna be pausing the gameplay with this awresome game and continue sometime soon with the harder difficulty!