Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I finished your campaign, on 1.9.8
Easy difficulty.
Review:
Awesome campaign, but has issues:

1. The campaign icon in the campaign selection menu has no team color, the same goes to the difficulty selection images.
2. You need to work on spacing between sentences, in dialogue and story text.
3. Portraits could use some work.
4. Where there are long and lendy scenario, the game hangs and is "not responding." I don't know if this is an issue my computer but this occurs on large scenarios like Siege of Dwarven Doors and End of the Rebellion.
5. Scenarios, where the the death of Sandrom is a defeat condition, is not mentioned I loss the game due to Sandrom's death.
6. The map of Attack of Borstep could use a mixture of snow hills, snow plains, snow forest, and snow mountains. Using just snow mountains makes the map seem dull.
7. In End of the Rebellion, you should change the objectives to Defeat all enemy leaders. This will spice the scenario up. Killing Bakkhil was easy too kill (with dwarves), I won on turn 11.

Negligible Comment: I find that all the names of the main characters are of Indian descent. But that is not a problem and I find the names pretty cool.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Thanks for playing the campaign.Comments like these are most appreciated.I am sorry for the delay in addressing your post.
Lord-Knightmare wrote:I finished your campaign, on 1.9.8
Easy difficulty.
Review:
Awesome campaign, but has issues:

1. The campaign icon in the campaign selection menu has no team color, the same goes to the difficulty selection images.
Does this create problems?Then I will change these.
2. You need to work on spacing between sentences, in dialogue and story text.
Yes this needs to be done.Only thing is that I am not getting enough time at present for which this is still pending.More modifications are in my mind too.
3. Portraits could use some work.
This issue has been raised by many persons.But I am sorry for this since I am no good artist!All these portraits have been borrowed from different places.If we are lucky then a good artist may take interest in this campaign and provide us better portraits.Till then there is no hope in sight.
4. Where there are long and lendy scenario, the game hangs and is "not responding." I don't know if this is an issue my computer but this occurs on large scenarios like Siege of Dwarven Doors and End of the Rebellion.
Another point where little can be done.Lengthy scenarios must be provided at certain points,but the game engine does not adapt itself well in these situations for which the gameplay is slowed down considerably.Your computer is perfectly all right.This problem occurs in the mainline campaigns as well.
5. Scenarios, where the the death of Sandrom is a defeat condition, is not mentioned I loss the game due to Sandrom's death.
I tried to set up the campaign in such a way that till the scenario "Battle of Prestim" Sandrom stays alive.After that his hero tag is removed and he should be allowed to die.Anyway,the code governing these events must be faulty and needs corrections.I will address these quickly.
6. The map of Attack of Borstep could use a mixture of snow hills, snow plains, snow forest, and snow mountains. Using just snow mountains makes the map seem dull.
I have used snow mountains and hills as well as frozen lakes.Using snow plains or forests would have gone against the topography of Borstep,where it is clearly mentioned as an invincible fortress on high mountains.So sorry about that!
7. In End of the Rebellion, you should change the objectives to Defeat all enemy leaders. This will spice the scenario up. Killing Bakkhil was easy too kill (with dwarves), I won on turn 11.
Yes,I think this should be done.I will make the change shortly.
Negligible Comment: I find that all the names of the main characters are of Indian descent. But that is not a problem and I find the names pretty cool.
Being an Indian myself I had thought it would look nice if the campaign contains mostly Indian names.Good that you found this cool!Thanks once more!
110809wr

Post by 110809wr »

Hello,

I'm using Wesnoth 1.8.6 and also got the Error at level 26 "punishment for treason".
I looked back in Mission 21 "siege of dwarven doors" where Aric was played and found the message

Code: Select all

|invalid WML found> [store_unit] missing required [filter] tag
written on top of the screen just before the end of this szenario.

Maybe this is related to the cause of the later problems?

Regards
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Yes,it may be the cause.However the filter tag is present in the code all throughout.The code which ends the scenario and stores Aric's army looks like:

[event]
    name=victory
      [store_unit]
         [filter]
            side=1
         [/filter]
         variable=aric5_army
         kill=yes
      [/store_unit]
        {FOREACH krshan6_army g}
            {VARIABLE krshan6_army[$g].x "recall"}
            {VARIABLE krshan6_army[$g].y "recall"}

[unstore_unit]
                variable=krshan6_army[$g]
            [/unstore_unit]
        {NEXT g}
    {CLEAR_VARIABLE krshan6_army}

[/event]
Please open the location: Battle for Wesnoth\userdata\data\add-ons\Rebellion_in_the_North\scenarios\21_The_siege_of_Dwarven_Doors and check this portion.If anything is incorrect please do correct it and play once more.It may solve the problem.In fact I didn't face any problem while play testing the campaign on BfW 1.8.4 and 1.9.5.

Thank you for playing this campaign.
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

Hello! Love the campaign, from what I've seen of it so far. I was playing it on 1.8.6, but after scenario... 21 I think, I got the unknown scenario error and so had to stop. I am now playing it on 1.9.8, on easy, and it is just as fun the second time through so far. The one problem that I've noticed so far is that sometimes recalls come back, for example, still poisoned from the last scenario. I've just got to the scenario... I forget what it is called, and my Wesnoth just crashed... the Earl is holed up on an island in the center of the map, the orcs are at the top, I am at the bottom... anyway, my leader is still injured from the last scenario. I am sure I've seen this kind of problem discussed elsewhere on the forum, so there are probably examples of ways of dealing with it posted somewhere. Otherwise, this campaign is really fun. I like the large, many-army battles, and you seem to have balanced the battles well (at least for easy). Thanks!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Matherton wrote:Hello! Love the campaign, from what I've seen of it so far. I was playing it on 1.8.6, but after scenario... 21 I think, I got the unknown scenario error and so had to stop. I am now playing it on 1.9.8, on easy, and it is just as fun the second time through so far. The one problem that I've noticed so far is that sometimes recalls come back, for example, still poisoned from the last scenario. I've just got to the scenario... I forget what it is called, and my Wesnoth just crashed... the Earl is holed up on an island in the center of the map, the orcs are at the top, I am at the bottom... anyway, my leader is still injured from the last scenario. I am sure I've seen this kind of problem discussed elsewhere on the forum, so there are probably examples of ways of dealing with it posted somewhere. Otherwise, this campaign is really fun. I like the large, many-army battles, and you seem to have balanced the battles well (at least for easy). Thanks!
I had noticed the problem while playing the campaign myself. Unfortunately I couldn't find the appropriate code which will remove the poison at the beginning of a scenario. But I am sure there is a better solution than running to a village in the 1st turn or recruiting a healer in the adjacent castle tile. Anyway, I also cannot answer why the program crashed at the beginning of the scenario "Saving the Earl". Please try playing it again, and I am sure you will enjoy it as well as the remaining part of the campaign. Thanks for playing "Rebellion in the North".
vaftrudner

Post by vaftrudner »

chak_abhi wrote:Yes,it may be the cause.However the filter tag is present in the code all throughout.The code which ends the scenario and stores Aric's army looks like:

[event] ... [/event]
Please open the location: Battle for Wesnoth\userdata\data\add-ons\Rebellion_in_the_North\scenarios\21_The_siege_of_Dwarven_Doors and check this portion.If anything is incorrect please do correct it and play once more.It may solve the problem.In fact I didn't face any problem while play testing the campaign on BfW 1.8.4 and 1.9.5.

Thank you for playing this campaign.
I believe that I may have found the problem. I noticed that this section lacks a filter tag:

[store_unit]
    id=Pala
    kill=yes
    [/store_unit]
    [/then]
    [/if]
I don't know WML at all, nor do I know what the filter tag does, but that was the only store_unit tag I could find without one. Can I just add filter tags somewhere to fix it? I tried it in my own ignorant but stubborn way by having Pala die in the scenario instead and the error did not come up :)
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

vaftrudner wrote:I believe that I may have found the problem. I noticed that this section lacks a filter tag:

[store_unit]
    id=Pala
    kill=yes
    [/store_unit]
    [/then]
    [/if]
I don't know WML at all, nor do I know what the filter tag does, but that was the only store_unit tag I could find without one. Can I just add filter tags somewhere to fix it? I tried it in my own ignorant but stubborn way by having Pala die in the scenario instead and the error did not come up :)
Thank you for giving so much time to detect the error. Yes, its a mistake not to add filter tags to [store_unit]. The reason I had'nt faced any problem may be due to death of Pala in the scenario "Siege of Dwarven Doors". I have decided to change the code a little. As Pala will be leaving and won't return to you it will be better not to store the unit. So the code will be:

[kill]
id=Pala
animate=no
[/kill]
This may solve the mysterious problem.
Thank you again for spending your valuable time for the campaign :) .
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

A little change has been made, which probably will fix the error regarding non-availability of the player's side in the penultimate scenario (Punishment for Treason). Please update your add-ons.
Hope you are enjoying "Rebellion in the North".
vaftrudner

Post by vaftrudner »

I'm happy to help! I've finished the campaign now and I really enjoyed it. It's one of the best user-made campaigns I've played, and I should be the one to thank you for all your time! I especially enjoyed the bits of history between the scenarios.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

vaftrudner wrote:I'm happy to help! I've finished the campaign now and I really enjoyed it. It's one of the best user-made campaigns I've played, and I should be the one to thank you for all your time! I especially enjoyed the bits of history between the scenarios.
Thanks a lot for your complements. Your encouragement will inspire me to compose better campaigns in future.
As history of the far-north is inadequate at present, I thought it would be good to create things on my own. Only the information about Borstep has been taken from the user made campaign "The Founding of Borstep" by Beetlenaut.
Thank you once more for playing "Rebellion in the North".
rmj

Post by rmj »

Just finished the campaign on 1.9.8. You have a talent for creating interesting battles.

Here are things I feel can improve the campaign:

The first two scenario maps are rather bleak. A few trees and a lake or river to the side would help.

To improve continuity I suggest immediately following the scenario of Aric crossing the river with the scenario of going through the swamp. Likewise the council in Weldyn should be immediately followed by Way to the North.

I would have liked to have known that the ability to recruit dwarves and mages was limited to a few scenarios. I would have recruited more and have made a greater effort not to let those I had die. As it turned out I had only a couple of dwarves to utilize.
In all the campaigns, this was the first time I regretted leveling up a unit. I had two Mages of Light accompanying Krshnan and no other white mages. This meant I could not place healers behind my chaotic units without weakening their attacks. For several scenarios I would have been better off if I had kept the unit at the White Mage level.
Spoiler:

I found the campaign too long because so many of the battles take so long. You might consider removing Unusual Ally and A Saurian Ambush.

In Punishment for Treason, I disliked the sudden appearance of Saurians in the middle of my men. Although I handled them fairly well, luck had much to do with that. I prefer reinforcements to come from a little distance so one has time to prepare a defense. One solution would be to make their appearance depend on a movement event rather than a turn event.

Another personal preference: I think that the large fortresses should not always be symmetrical.

In End of the Rebellion, the reinforcements for the enemy were insufficient. The orcish leaders, and in particular Bakhil, had become so negative in gold that they could not do much recruiting after the new influx of gold. And when Bakhil' fortress is broached, the four level three units created are more of a nuisance than a problem.
rmj
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

rmj wrote:Just finished the campaign on 1.9.8. You have a talent for creating interesting battles.

Here are things I feel can improve the campaign:

The first two scenario maps are rather bleak. A few trees and a lake or river to the side would help.
I may take this up sometime later when I will modify some parts of the campaign.
To improve continuity I suggest immediately following the scenario of Aric crossing the river with the scenario of going through the swamp. Likewise the council in Weldyn should be immediately followed by Way to the North.
I thought that alternating the leaders in some scenarios would be quite a change from the usual. This is why I needed to apply complex WML with the help of a few experts on this forum.
I would have liked to have known that the ability to recruit dwarves and mages was limited to a few scenarios. I would have recruited more and have made a greater effort not to let those I had die. As it turned out I had only a couple of dwarves to utilize.
This was necessary, as the ability to recruit mages & dwarves for the greater part of the campaign would have made the going a cakewalk. The element of surprise is quite common with most Wesnoth campaigns.
In all the campaigns, this was the first time I regretted leveling up a unit. I had two Mages of Light accompanying Krshnan and no other white mages. This meant I could not place healers behind my chaotic units without weakening their attacks. For several scenarios I would have been better off if I had kept the unit at the White Mage level.
Not a great problem actually, you just need to shift the MOL's to adjacent hexes while attacking with those chaotic units. When the attack is over you can again bring them in their previous position. This is necessary in campaigns like TROW & Northern Rebirth as well.
Spoiler:
I have merely repeated things which are mentioned in Northern Rebirth. Krshan obviously had no idea who Ro'Sothian & Ro'Arthian were, so this was necessary. And speaking about the school,I must say that in the scenario "Settling Disputes" in Northern Rebirth, they recruited quite a few mages, and mages cannot appear out of thin air. In any case powerful mages who prefer to be segregated from other beings want to train apprentice mages. Only Necromancers prefer to operate totally alone, and are accompanied by dark creatures whom they have raised or summoned.
I also didn't make them ask about Tallin. They were very wise persons and must have the impression that a long time has passed since they had been put to rest. So they know that years had passed and Tallin's life must have ended long time back.

I found the campaign too long because so many of the battles take so long. You might consider removing Unusual Ally and A Saurian Ambush.
Oh,please no! :( "Unusual Ally" is about bringing a faction of orcs under Krshan's fold,which is of great significance. "A Saurian Ambush" is like bridging the long gap between Prestim & Borstep. It gives you a chance of levelling some troops as well as provides gold needed to conquer Borstep.
In Punishment for Treason, I disliked the sudden appearance of Saurians in the middle of my men. Although I handled them fairly well, luck had much to do with that. I prefer reinforcements to come from a little distance so one has time to prepare a defense. One solution would be to make their appearance depend on a movement event rather than a turn event.
Again a tomato surprise! :D The scenario otherwise becomes very flat.
Another personal preference: I think that the large fortresses should not always be symmetrical.
Human fortresses are likely to be symmetrical so that all sides are equally defensible. Orcish fortresses lack this symmetry, except for Borstep (for which it is special)
In End of the Rebellion, the reinforcements for the enemy were insufficient. The orcish leaders, and in particular Bakhil, had become so negative in gold that they could not do much recruiting after the new influx of gold. And when Bakhil' fortress is broached, the four level three units created are more of a nuisance than a problem.
The reinforcements will be made stronger. But the reserves called by Bakkhil are to stay as I don't have a better idea how bodyguards should pop up.

Thank you for playing the campaign and posting a review. I will look forward to your campaign too!
rmj

Post by rmj »

Again a tomato surprise! :D The scenario otherwise becomes very flat.
Saurians are not magicians. Since I had already had units crossing that swamp and units were on all sides of the swamp, the sudden appearance was not realistic. Of course this game has an abundance of non-realistic characters and events, but this surprise need not be illogical.

Human fortresses are likely to be symmetrical so that all sides are equally defensible. Orcish fortresses lack this symmetry, except for Borstep (for which it is special)
Fortresses follow terrain; rivers and mountains lead to asymmetry. And even on flat land, one side may hold the entrance gated and thus have special towers. But all this is irrelevant because my desire for more asymmety is for aesthetic reasons.

As to Ro'Sothian and Ro'Arthian, I regard them as darker figures than you do. Not as evil as the other liches and necromancers of Wesnoth, even some good persists in them, but a lich is a lich nevertheless.
rmj
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

A new version of RitN has been released, which contains a few bug fixes. Please update your add-ons, and enjoy playing "Rebellion in the North".