Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PainfulAC

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.8

Post by PainfulAC »

I would just like to thank you mnewton, for keeping this addon up to date. It's one of my favorites! :D
lesy

Post by lesy »

hi,

since ageless era is by far the most played from UMC eras and since i like the possibilities it offers, i would like to put some effort into improving it. i have minimal experience with coding and only just started to get familiar with the WML, so for now i think the best use for me is to provide feedback and play-test the era.

i recently started playing 1v1 with ageless (on default maps) and i try to keep notes about balancing issues and bugs.

here is a list of bugs i noted so far (some of them have been already reported in this thread):

- rage weapon specials description doesn't match with reality, it applies in defense as well
- khthon were updated recently by doofus, current vector weapon special has issues (not working on most units)
- clockwork dwarves still have energy resistances; it is possible to get 3mp leader
- feyborn witch attacks bugged, charm ability works on both attacks, charm weapon special has retaliation malus instead for some reason
- slavers enchanters line charm special doesn't work
- aragwaithi archer misses south facing movement sprite
- despair statue - when makes kill with petrify attack it gets xp but victim doesn't die (gets stoned instead with 2hp?); hp loss for stoned victims is bugged (statue can have negative hp, doesn't die from it);the penalty for keeping stoned victims increases with the level of statue not the victim (higher levels of statues lose a ton of hp
- refuge supply and grouping abilities doesn't seem to work

EDIT (11. Oct 2011) more urgent bug reports:
- slavers plague and brungars tame abilities cause OOS error
- imperialists sapper weapon special doesn't work properly (attack doesn't do anything, nor does the unit die)
- sloughblend = swamp ambush, same abilities should have the same name in one era

EDIT (30. Jan 2012)
- striding machine and it's advancements have holy resistances
- therian falcon caused OOS on recruit
- tharis dark slayer missing weapon special description - he has "no counter attack"

as for the balance, i think we can all agree that some factions in ageless are more powerful than others. now, some people are ok with it, in fact i was even kicked from some game for mentioning it...

i personally feel the more balanced the era is, the more fun the matches are and that balance issues shouldn't have a large impact on the outcome of games (which is sadly not always the case at the moment).

i have some ideas and propositions on how to improve balance but i would only work on them if others (and most importantly mnewton1) agree on this.
Last edited by lesy on January 31st, 2012, 7:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Arg, I haven't really been on Wesnoth in awhile. I guess it's that time of year to get back to work on AE :D

Let me take a look at what I have and have not done with AE and I will give you a proper reply.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
RenoOfTurks

Post by RenoOfTurks »

There is something new in creation for that amazing era??
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Why are the backgrounds of the Vampire portraits still white instead of transparent?
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
hey00

Post by hey00 »

Hello, there.

I'm back on wesnoth after a break, I updated to 1.9.9, tried to install a few add-ons, including the Ageless Era, and then horror, got a bug similar to this one: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 10#p493473
the error details are not exactly the same, and no reference to amla_tough, in short, I have that:

Can't load _main.cfg
Details: macro file EOM_data/traits is missing

I didn't see any fix for it, so I tried to find one of my own, and I think I did, or at least, I may know where the error comes from.
Notice that it is EOM_data, with a capital O, but the folder in the add-ons directory is EoM_data.

I changed it to EOM_data, but then I got a similar error message, but saying that EoM_data itself is missing. So I made a copy of the folder called EoM_data, and now it works.

So apparently, some code try to access EOM_data, some other EoM_data. On windows, it has no influence since there is no difference between the two, but on linux (and probably on mac too), the file system makes a difference between the two, so it causes this problem.

Hope it helps.
DerTod

Post by DerTod »

Hi,

I parsed the cfg-files of the latest version with the following result

duplicate id of AE Snapper
duplicate id of AE Shaman
duplicate id of AE Stalker

AE Kharos_LightAdept: unknown advance_to id: White Mage
AE Death Baron: unknown advance_to id: Death Knight

AE Tomb Shade: missing attribute: movement

Attached is the complete parse result (mostly missing images)

hth
Attachments
Log.txt
(58.01 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Khadras

Post by Khadras »

Hi! Is there a release date for Ageless Era 4.9 or is waiting for BfW 2.0 and then make another version for the mod?
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Khadras: Umm... BfW 1.10 comes out next, if I were to wait for 2.0... it might never come :P

There currently is no release date for AE 4.9 or 5.0 because, I guess I am on wesbreak for now. School is a bit more taxing this year than the last. :( But I will eventually come back to wesnoth, even if just to port the era to 1.10/1.11 (dev)

So I guess... WESBREAK: ON POWER GO :D
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
holygrailbob

Post by holygrailbob »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm having an out of sync issue anytime someone recruits a Light Spirit from the Celestial faction. I wasn't having the problem previously, despite being in games where they were recruited, but I am now for some reason. I have deleted the Era and reinstalled it, twice.

I have the error log, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it to fix my problem. If anyone could help me, or direct me to the correct place, I'd be appreciative.

Windows 7, Version 1.86 Battle for Wesnoth, Current Ageless Era.
Attachments
Find_ME!.gz
error report, named as such to help me find it.
(28.67 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

It is possible (although it's not the only possibility) that the error comes from another add-on (not necessarily an era) which uses that unit. Try removing add-ons one after the other until the problem no longer occurs, and warn that add-on's autor so he can correct it.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
lesy

Post by lesy »

Dixie wrote:It is possible (although it's not the only possibility) that the error comes from another add-on (not necessarily an era) which uses that unit. Try removing add-ons one after the other until the problem no longer occurs, and warn that add-on's autor so he can correct it.
yes, the most likely reason is more add-ons unit files with the same ID on your computer

my somewhat crude solution to this problem is to keep two separate userdata folders (or installations of wesnoth if you don't care about disk-space) - one "clean" with just ageless era add-on for multiplayer games and one experimental with all the UMC eras i want to check out
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

If you find another add-on is causing this issue, I would greatly appreciate it if you would tell me which add-ons you have installed.
Creator of Ageless Era
holygrailbob

Post by holygrailbob »

It was another add-on. I'm not sure exactly which one was causing the problem, I just deleted all the ones I had, and reinstalled Ageless Era.

I had these installed:

Era of Myths
Era of Magic
Bob's RPG era
Nosmos Survival
+ 6-8 more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for the help guys, you are life savers!
DerTod

Post by DerTod »

lesy wrote: - khthon were updated recently by doofus, current vector weapon special has issues (not working on most units)
this is because of the following filter in Ageless_Era\data\BMR_data\weapon_specials\vector.cfg
when you delete this filter, it works.

[not]
race=AE primeval
[/not]
[not]
race=undead
[/not]
[not]
race=AE phantom_egypt
[/not]
[not]
race=AE phantom_spirit