Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9)

Post by mattsc »

Hello All, it appears that I need some help with the instructions in the second battle scenario (Treasure). I have tried to set up the dialog so that it explains everything that needs to be done, but apparently that's not the case. (This is separate from the issue that there is a certain way how you're supposed to move through it, which I have addressed above.) So, here follows a description of what dialog is there and what I meant to say with it as far as gameplay is concerned. Any hints where this might not be sufficient would really help me a lot.
Spoiler:
So, honestly, I don't see where the statement "because the dialogue won't tell you!" comes from. (And I am not saying this to be argumentative. I want you to have fun playing this campaign, but apparently I don't see what to do about it.) Yes, there's a lot of instruction and you need to read it pretty carefully, but in my mind, it is all there. I must have played it so often that I cannot see the missing information any more.

Again, this is separate from the issue of whether anybody likes scenarios in which you have to follow a procedure to that extent. I address(ed) that elsewhere and will try to do something about that also.

Thanks for any insight anybody is willing to share!
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Ok tried V 1.4.

What did you change on the treasure scenario? I used my old save (after updating to 1.4) so im worried it may have gone on to the same version of the scenario. Also even when i march up to the scenario quickly enough and get grnk in, how do I get him to escape without being sandwiched by the lv2s?

I did notice when i played scenario one in 1.3 that i seemed to have more bandits, but i wondered if that was just that i gained experience from playing the campaign. I should have said.

Also hypothetically, what would easy mode change in this scenario?
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

WanderingHero wrote:Ok tried V 1.4.
Thanks for continuing to test and send comments!
WanderingHero wrote:What did you change on the treasure scenario? I used my old save (after updating to 1.4) so im worried it may have gone on to the same version of the scenario.
I haven't really changed that scenario yet because what I think should be done to it requires more work than I have time for right now (it would affect later scenarios also). I will do that at some point, but definitely not in the next couple weeks. Well, I did give the player a bit more gold and more turns, but that happened very early on (1.0.1, I think). If you have suggestions what could be done that is relatively easy to do right now, that would really help me.
WanderingHero wrote:Also even when i march up to the scenario quickly enough and get grnk in, how do I get him to escape without being sandwiched by the lv2s?
Spoiler:
WanderingHero wrote:Also hypothetically, what would easy mode change in this scenario?
Spoiler:
EDIT: slightly changed on sentence inside the first spoiler tag to make it clearer what I mean.
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Hmm. Played it again on medium, and it's... good. I've just stolen the treasure and escaped, and I've got to say that there's some real improvement. It's no walk in the park, and I'd still consider it a challenging campaign, but now... it's fun. Really. I've yet to see what it's like later on, but yes, it does appear to have been improved by this slight tweaking of difficulty.

I'm always sad that my goblin pillager can't reach the exit too, though :P

EDIT: Ok, I've gotten even further. You've set the rest of the missions up very well. They're interesting and it always looks like things are heavily stacked against the player, but when I actually get going, the missions are easier than they seem. Very nice work, and well worth continuing with. Seems I have a soft spot for Wesnoth Goblins.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Cool! Thanks, RtP. Great to hear that you are enjoying it more now; and the following scenarios as well.
Rowanthepreacher wrote:I'm always sad that my goblin pillager can't reach the exit too, though :P
Indeed... But then, as Grnk says at the very beginning, he wouldn't want anything to do with him after he gets to town anyway. :)
Rowanthepreacher wrote:Seems I have a soft spot for Wesnoth Goblins.
Uh oh, you better stop half-way through the 2nd part of the campaign then, when it comes out a year from now or so. :wink:
Rowanthepreacher

Heh. I've got more now though. Having played a few more missions (The nightstalker mission was awesome by the way, and an excellent example of looking totally unwinnable), it's shaping up really well. No glaring grammatical or spelling mistakes, the missions are interesting and whatnot.

The guys crisscrossing the city is nice, but waiting 20 minutes for everyone to finish walking about is a pain in the arse. Would you mind reducing the number of townsfolk in the city at any one time?

EDIT: Sorry, there's a preference for that, ignore me.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:Heh. I've got more now though. Having played a few more missions (The nightstalker mission was awesome by the way, and an excellent example of looking totally unwinnable), it's shaping up really well. No glaring grammatical or spelling mistakes, the missions are interesting and whatnot.
Thanks!!
Rowanthepreacher wrote:The guys crisscrossing the city is nice, but waiting 20 minutes for everyone to finish walking about is a pain in the arse. Would you mind reducing the number of townsfolk in the city at any one time?

EDIT: Sorry, there's a preference for that, ignore me.
Hah, too late! You'll have to "listen" to my reply now. ;) First, I was going to ask whether you were playing this part at accelerated speed (it seems you are now). Watching it at normal speed would indeed be very painful. I'd in principle not be opposed to change the number, but there's a reason why I have set it up this way:
Spoiler:
Anyways, if you think it's fast enough to play it on accelerated speed (or by skipping AI moves), it sounds like we're good. Thanks again for all the comments!
Rowanthepreacher

More news. No unexpected crash when defeating Karcyn, but I -did- get one during my first turn as the bandits in the second crater mission (I did as Rutbert told me).

Having played even more, I've got to say that it feels like you got lazy after the first few AMLAs. The options started off interesting, but then it became standard unit advancement. I'd like to see more unique AMLAs for Grnk, especially one that re-equips him with a ranged weapon.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:More news. No unexpected crash when defeating Karcyn, but I -did- get one during my first turn as the bandits in the second crater mission (I did as Rutbert told me).
Was it reproducible? As in, when you reloaded and did the same thing again, did it crash again? If so, could you send me the savefile? My problem with trying to troubleshoot this was that I could never make the same crash happen twice in this scenario, so I wasn't able to figure out what causes them.

Also, which version of BfW are you using? The only reproducible crash I've ever encounter (in a later scenario; there's a message there too) only happened in 1.9.8, not in 1.9.9. I haven't had a chance to look into this more closely, to see if it's a problem with my code or a Wesnoth bug.
Rowanthepreacher wrote:Having played even more, I've got to say that it feels like you got lazy after the first few AMLAs. The options started off interesting, but then it became standard unit advancement. I'd like to see more unique AMLAs for Grnk, especially one that re-equips him with a ranged weapon.
You're right, there should be more. Actually, what happened is that I didn't realize how often you can get Grnk to advance until I did my final play-through. I'll do something about that. As for the ranged weapon, I need to do something about that anyway since it's a RIPLIB violation, as Elvish_Hunter pointed out. It's on the list.
Rowanthepreacher

It hasn't happened again, sorry. I'm using the latest (1.9.9) version, but it's working just fine now.

Confused Grnk gets a ranged attack, as well. Wow, he's all over the place.

OK.. more feedback. Please don't show every unit leaving the map when they say they're leaving. It's... really boring.. Is there any reason for them to -all- leave, or could they just disappear?
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:OK.. more feedback.
Great! Thanks. This is really helpful.
Rowanthepreacher wrote:Please don't show every unit leaving the map when they say they're leaving. It's... really boring.. Is there any reason for them to -all- leave, or could they just disappear?
From a WML point of view there's no reason for this at all. In fact, it's less work if they don't. I did this to make it more "realistic", but I agree, it can be quite ... tedious if lots of units are leaving. There are probably some instances where I want to keep it that way, but it's clearly not necessary all the time. It's been added to "the list". (In the meantime, brace yourself for the very end of the campaign. There are a lot of units leaving there and I probably won't get to doing something about that before you get there.)
Rowanthepreacher

Heh, more feedback.

The feedback is spoilered, because it contains...spoilers.
Spoiler:
Apart from that, I've been enjoying the campaign immensely, and I'm glad I gave it another go.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hmm, strange. Somebody else had that problem, but I thought I'd fixed that. Could you send me two savefiles, please? These:
Spoiler:
Rowanthepreacher

Ok, i'll get round to it this weekend.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Well I beat scenario 2. I have to admit that while aggravating, theirs a certain satisfaction in getting through its puzzle difficulty, though the face such an early scenario is rigid, extremely hard and composed of multiple, very difficult parts is irksome. I save loaded (not to rng abuse, just because their was no way I was going back to turn 1) and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Played it again and beat mercs. It was pretty fun and a lot less irksome.

How does it affect the story if I go with Rubert? I chose to go my own away and though I could reload the end of the scenario, but I forgot on my home pc i set it to delete turn saves when I've beaten a scenario