The Quest of Wesnoth · Alpha [SP RPG for BfW 1.10.0+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

The Quest of Wesnoth · Alpha [SP RPG for BfW 1.10.0+]

Post by Crendgrim »

Let me introduce you to ...

The Quest of Wesnoth · Alpha Version

This is a rather early state of my campaign from a player's point of view, but by now I have finished the core engine, which will make adding new stuff much easier. So, here I am, showing you an alpha version of The Quest of Wesnoth. If you have an idea for a better name, please tell me — it's always been more of a working name, and I can't come up with anything better.

This campaign requires The Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.0 or later. It very probably will also work with more recent versions of the 1.9 branch, but I do not want to support those as well.

Story
Historical context:
Features
  • Dynamic map changes, which allows saving of units, items, and everything else
  • A flexible quest system (with a quest tracking system)
  • An easy-to-user, shiny inventory to manage your items
  • A tutorial to explain the specialties of this campaign
  • A custom theme, displaying all relevant information
TODO / Plans for the future
  • Of course, writing the story further
  • Implementing more dialogues and side quests
  • Implementing sounds
  • Implementing a shop system
Credits
My credits for this campaign go to the following people:
  • PandaClaws for writing most of the story, and for (unintended) forcing me to stick to this project
  • The developer team, especially Anonymissimus and zookeeper for helping me with my various questions, and even modifying the Wesnoth engine to make it work as I'd like it to. :)
  • artisticdude for a lot of inspiration how things could be done, as well as the female peasant sprite
  • Bob_the_Mighty and PapaSmurfReloaded for their RPG Resource Packs
  • The Archaic Era add-on, from which I've taken the path images
  • Boldek for his Blacksmith sprite
  • Kvinkunx for the Barkeeper sprite, taken from the Travelling Tradesmen add-on
  • J. W. Bjerk (eleazzaar) for the herbs icon
  • vultraz for his weight status icon, as well as all kinds of support
  • All the people who helped creating Wesnoth and the power of WML and Lua
  • The testers who reported their bugs here in this thread
  • Everyone else I didn't name, but whose work I'm using
Notes
  • The campaign stops once you receive the quest "please wait". Chapter 2 is coming sometimes "soon".
Wanted
I do need some help; so, if you like the project, please consider doing one of the following things:
  • Feedback
    I need a lot of feedback; concerning how things work (do you like it? Why? Why not?), regarding bugs, and all other kind of stuff
  • Text
    A very high priority for me is that I need names for the village, for people, and for the pet.
    If you'd like to write some more dialogues and/or quests, it would be very appreciated.
Ah, and before I forget it: Have fun! :P
Changelog

Code: Select all

Version 0.0.1
> pre-release development phase

Version 0.0.2
> initial release

Version 0.0.3
> mechanics
  * Bugfix: made it independent of the Wesnoth Lua Pack
  * Bugfix: Raddin wasn't able to enter his home again

Version 0.0.4
> mechanics
  * Bugfix: when leaving deeper dungeons (with more than one level), there were two instances of Raddin
  * Bugfix: the wolf really appears in the dialogue with the hunters

Version 0.0.5
> units
  + new unit type: Blacksmith (sprite by Boldek)
> mechanics
  * better map change dialogue (now with labels for the houses, not only "House")
  + inventory activated, but no items yet to be found
  * bugfixes and enhancements of the quest checking system

Version 0.0.6
> mechanics
  + implemented combat system
  + on getting and paying gold there is now a floating text above Raddin
> user interface
  * minor language correction (thanks to uncleshelby)

Version 0.0.7
> user interface
  + New terrain: Wooden walls, used now in most village houses
> story
  + Implemented dialogue upon meeting the wolves
> mechanics
  * Made wolves passive until the player sees them
  - Removed automatic opening of inventory on walking on certain hexes
  * Made the right-click inventory option also take care of hexes where items may be stored later
  * Instead of ending the user's turn upon moving in non-combat mode, we just increase the turn number and restore the leader's movepoints

Version 0.0.7a
> mechanis
  * Bugfix: Restore also the movepoints of other units on side 1

Version 0.0.8
> user interface
  * Rename Fangs to Adalwulf (thanks to uncleshelby for the suggestion)
  * Tutorial extended
> mechanics
  * Scenery items are automatically parsed from data files
  - Removed some obsolete macros and tags
  + New WML tag: [qow_create_item], creates an item and places it to a given location in the inventory
  + First Items implemented: Small Battle Axe, Health Potion
  + Weapons can be equipped, potions can be used
  - Inventory cannot be disabled anymore
> other
  + Added Credit section to the _main.cfg, although nobody will see them yet ingame.
  + Added a changelog file to the package

Version 0.0.9
> story
  + Implemented complete storyline for chapter one; still needs balancing
> user interface
  * Bugfix: On the lower level of the farmhouse, no scenery objects were shown
  + On closing the inventory, the map automatically scrolls to Raddin
> mechanics
  * Bugfix: Store enemy units on entering / leaving the inventory or other maps
  * Bugfix: Combat isn't ended anymore on moving items in the inventory
  * Renaming [qow_load_items] to [qow_load_scenery]
  * Bugfix: Adalwulf could be spawned multiple times by speaking with the hunters.
  * Bugfix: You were not able to leave a house twice
  * Bugfix: Units aren't anymore placed near Raddin on closing the inventory, but on their former locations.
  * Bugfix: Adalwulf could be taken into some houses and across the boat by careful moving
  + Items can now modify [resistance]s
  + New Tag: [qow_load_items], parses data files and automatically inserts items in boxes
  + Multiple new items, now scattered around the map
  + Certain events can now force an [end_turn] instead of the dynamic turn change, allowing allied NPCs to move
  + Game ends when Adalwulf or Gerald die (both will probably be important later).

Version 0.0.9a
> mechanics
  * Bugfix: Combat Mode doesn't switch randomly anymore (thanks to Anonymissimus)
  * Bugfix: Elder's Herbs could be used unlimited times

Version 0.0.10
> user interface
  * Renamed Forgery to Forge (thanks to artisticdude)
  + A few new, unimportant dialogues
> mechanics
  * A lot of WML and file cleanup
  * Bugfixes: Questlog works again
  * Bugfix: Speaking multiple times with the hunters resulted in too many wolves spawning
  + Added some labels to the inventory
  + Added error messages of the inventory, which are sent to the chat

Version 0.0.11
> story
  + Introduced a small reward for fighting off the wolves with the hunters
> user interface
  + Implemented a quest tracking system
> mechanics
  * Changed the structure of data files, so that less data files contain more information
  * Rewrote most WML-heavy macros in Lua by introducing new WML tags
  + Implemented a time schedule, based on the new 24 hour macros
  + Implemented a music playlist (thanks to lipk for the suggestions)
  * You can switch between characters in the inventory, which allows you to equip / heal / ... all of them
> other
  - Removed incompatibility message for versions prior to 1.9.9, as 1.10.0 is out now and nobody will use 1.9 any longer.

Version 0.0.12
> user interface
  * You can now select characters in the inventory to switch them, rather than use a context menu
> mechanics
  * Bugfix: fog and shroud data were not saved upon using the inventory
  * Bugfix: the quest tracking system showed a wrong exit location in the tavern
  * Bugfix: non-leader units on side 1 should get unstored correctly now after using the inventory
  * Bugfix: shroud and fog did not get cleared when using the boat
  + added support for scenery items which are not visible through fog
  * Bugfix: non-leader units on side 1 could not be equipped with a second weapon only
  * Bugfix: movement did not get restored on changing maps
  * Bugfix: Opening the inventory multiple times slowed down Wesnoth massively
> other
  * display a boat even before it can be used

Version 0.0.13
> story
  - Removed Farmhouse
  + Implemented meeting with refugees
> user interface
  * Finally replaced old quest log with a GUI2 one
  + Introduced a custom theme, displaying only necessary information
  + added a female peasant baseframe for Raddin's mother (thanks to artisticdude for the image!)
> mechanics
  + Implemented item weight
> other
  * Bugfix: Made Adalwulf and Gerald unrenamable
  * Edited the wolves to make them use the regular wolves as [base_unit]s
  * Some language corrections (thanks to vultraz)

Version 0.0.14
> user interface
  + Unit description for the Blacksmith
  * Bugfix: the quest tracking system now points to the correct location for when you follow the Elder
  - Removed difficulty selection dialogue
> mechanics
  + Implemented armor, helmet, boots, amulets
  * Re-wrote parts of the equipment logic in Lua
  * Made Gerald's weapon pre-equipped, thus unequippable. This stops it from being overridden when equipping Gerald with another weapon
> balancing
  + Gave Level-zero-units ZoC
  * Changed all units' defense to half the standard value
  * Changed all units' attacks to do only one hit, but with half of the old total damage
Last edited by Crendgrim on June 9th, 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Updated the OP with more recent information
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: The Quest of Wesnoth · Alpha [SP RPG for BfW 1.9.9+]

Post by Ceres »

Two things I've found whose fix would increase the awesomeness of this project even more:
I can't open the questlog. Checking the code for this I found that I had to have the Wesnoth Lua Pack downloaded. It'd be nice if you could set it as a dependancy.
After re-entering my parents' house by accident I wasn't able anymore to leave it. first_time_only=no is missing in the moveto event.
BlackJack25

Post by BlackJack25 »

This project seems to be really interesting. Hey Crend, if you need some help with names or dialogues, you can send me a PM. I have a good imagination and I also write fan-fictions, so I can suggest you some names. Good luck ;-)
Sorry for some english errors, but I'm Italian ;-)
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Ceres wrote:Two things I've found whose fix would increase the awesomeness of this project even more:
I can't open the questlog. Checking the code for this I found that I had to have the Wesnoth Lua Pack downloaded. It'd be nice if you could set it as a dependancy.
:oops:
I knew I forgot to check something. I actually wanted to make my add-on independent of the WLP, but somewhere I missed something; probably a debug utils include :doh:
Ceres wrote:After re-entering my parents' house by accident I wasn't able anymore to leave it. first_time_only=no is missing in the moveto event.
Humm. Note to self: Never change the mechanics just before a release. I first had the first house independent of the Village, and changed this.
Thanks for the reports, will be fixed soon. :)
BlackJack25 wrote:This project seems to be really interesting. Hey Crend, if you need some help with names or dialogues, you can send me a PM. I have a good imagination and I also write fan-fictions, so I can suggest you some names. Good luck ;-)
Alright, be ready to receive a message in a few minutes. :)

Crend

EDIT:
Yeah, the bugs were as I expected them to be. Both should be fixed in 0.0.3.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Crendgrim wrote:I actually wanted to make my add-on independent of the WLP,
I guess the others wouldn't mind you editing the WLP too (since you will supposedly find some problems or have ideas for the WLP then). So you could get a sourceforge account for the wesnoth UMC repo, checkout the WLP and put your addon there...

EDIT:
Oops, I read "dependant". Disregard this post pease. :)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
lipk

Post by lipk »

My experiences:

Bugs:
In the stables I went up to the attic and when came down I got two Raddins, one standing near the exit and one on the ladder.
I somehow avoided Raddin's pet so now he speaks to a phantom dog or whatever.
When I were going south on the path, the wolf rushed out of the shadows. I killed it, then my heroes started to speak about the delivery man, whom they couldn't see by then...

Music:
I think a playlist of Still Another Wanderer, Breaking the Chains and Gwendolyn from West's Chronicles I would be fine for the world map. East Meets West from West's Chronicles II is an excellent inn-side ((( :D sorry))) music (I'm also using it for an inn scene in my very secret project). If you don't mind the download size, you could include even more UMC tracks by West - especially the battle pieces are a bit circus-like compared to the mainline tracks thus they fit not-death-serious campaigns better.

For the future, I beg you to involve some recruiting and real battles in the campaign. I hate moving and clicking end turn again and again and again... you can PM me for ideas, but be prepared that the more idiot the idea is, the sooner it comes to my mind.

EDIT: aye, and you should replace Raddin's mother's portrait with a female footpad or a thief... the peasant is not a bit odd.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

lipk wrote:My experiences:

Bugs:
In the stables I went up to the attic and when came down I got two Raddins, one standing near the exit and one on the ladder.
Euh.. whatever that is, I'll track it down. Thanks for reporting :)
lipk wrote:I somehow avoided Raddin's pet so now he speaks to a phantom dog or whatever.
Yes, known bug. Or rather, my silliness. I just forgot to unstore the wolf there (there still is a "TODO" label... :whistle: ).
lipk wrote:When I were going south on the path, the wolf rushed out of the shadows. I killed it, then my heroes started to speak about the delivery man, whom they couldn't see by then...
Thanks for reminding me! I wanted to reduce the wolves' movement points.
lipk wrote:Music:
I think a playlist of Still Another Wanderer, Breaking the Chains and Gwendolyn from West's Chronicles I would be fine for the world map. East Meets West from West's Chronicles II is an excellent inn-side ((( :D sorry))) music (I'm also using it for an inn scene in my very secret project). If you don't mind the download size, you could include even more UMC tracks by West - especially the battle pieces are a bit circus-like compared to the mainline tracks thus they fit not-death-serious campaigns better.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to listen and try a bit. :)
lipk wrote:For the future, I beg you to involve some recruiting and real battles in the campaign. I hate moving and clicking end turn again and again and again... you can PM me for ideas, but be prepared that the more idiot the idea is, the sooner it comes to my mind.
Regarding recruiting, no / only very limited. It's a RPG after all, not a standard campaign. However, I'm planning to implement something similar to what artisticdude did ("combat mode" and "no-combat mode", with the latter don't forcing you to end your turn each time), but that's a bit more complicated as I have up to three units which may move around.
Regarding "real battles" — I spoiler that you'll have a battle big enough only a few missions ahead. :)
lipk wrote:EDIT: aye, and you should replace Raddin's mother's portrait with a female footpad or a thief... the peasant is not a bit odd.
Of course. I didn't do it yet, because I still look for another sprite and such, and the mother isn't that a high priority character yet.

Thanks for the bugs, I'll go hunting. :P

Crend
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Crendgrim wrote: [*]Art
Well, I need sprites for Hodling, and could use also unique sprites for the others.[/list]

Crend
um, what would Hodling look like? I am unable to play this rpg, but am feeling dangerously over productive. :P
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Boldek: It's a human blacksmith in a small village. More information isn't set so far, so be productive. :P

lipk: I uploaded a new version which fixes the two bugs you mentioned. The wolf problem isn't solved yet, I'll have to think about it a bit before doing anything.

Crend
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

here yeh go:
Attachments
TC should work. I hope.
TC should work. I hope.
smith-2.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
smith.png
smith.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I come back to see the blacksmith, he's still asking me for the metal career, when is dead. Is that normal ?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Boldek:
Great, thanks. :)
That's exactly what I was looking for, even though I didn't knew it. :P

ydcl:
Well, no. Not really. May you send me a savegame? Or describe exactly what you did? (Did you kill the wolves?)

Crend
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

The wolves ? I've just see one, and I did all the map. Maybe there is problem, with the another one
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

But the one you killed? If yes, I probably know why you didn't see the other:
Spoiler:
However, I have no idea why the blacksmith still ask you for doing the quest. Please post a savegame if possible.

Crend
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I've killed one. But the blacksmith, still asking me for doing the quest. Sorry, I forgot how to post a reply.