[UMC] Blood Bowl

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Danceman

[UMC] Blood Bowl

Post by Danceman »

I think this game Blood Bowl could be made with Wesnoth.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/

Has it been done?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Blood Bowl

Post by Iris »

You mean someone should infringe copyright law?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

not at all, what i meant was, its a turn based game, wesnoth could use its races and make a sport like game, maybe based on football or even rugby rules, or even australian or Gaelic football rules. It would be great for multiplayers and for tournaments.

even a campaign could work, each level would be a new match, to win the final cup.

found two open source projects based on this idea:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bbarena/
http://brawlball.berlios.de/

Wesnoth has the perfect framework

Last edited by Iris on September 4th, 2011, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged three consecutive posts.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think there was such a scenario for Wesnoth called "Wesball".
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Danceman: Please don’t triple post in such a short amount of time.

Wesbowl is one of the first scripted MP scenarios ever made for Wesnoth and used to be part of mainline — perhaps someone else has ported it to newer versions and may be available as a user made add-on. Bob also made a similar (but not identical) add-on named “Wesball” at one point.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

Ok, sorry, no more double posts.

Sounds interesting. Sadly no one continued with it. Looked for it in the addons and no luck.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

The last version of Wesball was for BfW 1.6, while I cannot find any trace of Wesbowl on http://addons.wesnoth.org

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Wesbowl was mainline content.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

But it isn't anymore, so it may have been released as an add-on after being removed from mainline.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I just uploaded a new version of "Ruis of the Ancients", a map pack containing some BfW 1.0.2 maps, including Wesbowl, to the 1.9 add-on server.
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

@ceres thx.

wesball is strange, theres no turnover and each team has there own ball. The AI most of the time forgets about the ball.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Well, the AI actually isn't really able to play it. It's still focusing on trying to kill you (set up an AI vs AI match without turn limit and see what happens...).
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Dave (Wesnoth Developer) wrote:Wesbowl was a scenario I made ages ago, when WML was first growing some features to make it reasonably powerful as an example of what could be achieved with WML. It was never designed to be a really balanced fun game. I am surprised it has lasted through any serious releases at all, let alone this long.

David
In this post.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

I was testing out wesbowl with another player, and he said he couldn't see his ball. Only I could see both balls LOL sounds strange LOL. But anyway, I think the game has problems, its not bad, was starting to get used to its strange rules. Shame no one picked this up and made it better
Ceres wrote:Well, the AI actually isn't really able to play it. It's still focusing on trying to kill you (set up an AI vs AI match without turn limit and see what happens...).
Sure, it can't even see the ball.

The map needs some things like after a goal, return all players to start formation. And a formation system, like in american football, like playbook start deployment. Maybe the AI, needs some scripting AI smarts, to make it always pick up the ball and try to score and protect the player with ball like it was a campaign boss
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

If you mean you tried my add-on Wesbowl for 1.9, both have to have the add-on downloaded, 'cause the ball image is also in there. That's why the other player couldn't see the ball.

I'll see if I can modify the AI enough to play it correctly.