Trapped 1.13 - The Zombie returns

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Trapped 1.13 - The Zombie returns

Post by Heindal »

Finally, after playing several great campaigns, I finally started creating an own campaign.

"The protagonist is a kid living on the street, dreaming of great fortune and a way out of the slums.
Getting a hint about a strange a warehouse he finds himself trapped in a cell and has to escape. But it turns out to be a perfect trapped - even though the gates are unlocked."

Well the idea behind this is that I want to create a campaign with a high replayability.
So a dungeon crawl like diablo would do it - this scenario is a kind of "first test" for this dungeon crawl ...

You can play as thief (easy), footpad (hard), thug (nightmare). Each path offers different storylines, possibilities, such as weapons and equipment that can be bought and sold, different missions and skills that can be done by special characters and so on.

The story offers several different endings, four different melee weapons with 3 unique upgrades each, three different ranged weapons with 2 unique upgrade each, different flasks, shields and armors, 11 learnable skills in the shop, possibility to hire recruits for your fighting team, 12 different missions, 8 hidden treasures, 30 achievements, more than 14 different future paths and an infinite upgrade system, possibility to sell weapons, upgrade crew.

Learn to spit fire or use your lockpick to steal the guards. Become a guards pet or help your fellow prisoners. Of cause this is all optional.
Solve the game in the way you like! Even if you find an ending there might be different way to to solve

Well, my wml background is - I´m a newb. Therefore its remarkable what I´ve done so far. Proably because I love XML, XSLT and HTML. Well i guess java script would definitely help to understand wml faster. (Edit: that was years ago, still the addon has a lot of descriptions in it which will help if you are new in wml)

But still I need help. Here are some features - i would be grateful if you could help me with them, maybe other players can use some of them for their own campaigns - you are free to use them ^^. These solutions are easy and they work.

Actual working on:

- bugfixes and corrections, otherwise than that it is finished: it is what I wanted the game to be.

Current: Version 1.13

- wording and game-play corrections
- improved layout
- a real playable version for Battle for Wesnoth 1.16
- a variety of new option such as boss battles and assemble team

Version 1.1

- extended lovestory with more choices to convince kilma, however at least five deeds are needed now (smart thinking required for this puzzle)
- Kilma will join your fighting group, basically she is a 5th teammember with the same behavior as the others.
- bugfixes considering giving gold in a new scenario, results and weaponupgrades
- compatibility to wesnoth version 13
- wording changes
- changed futurepath to finally get a futurepath for every possible ending

Version 1.0

- 2 new melee weapons and upgrades - the dagger is a quick, weak weapon, the halberd a devastating one strike weapon.
- 1 new ranged weapons - the bow which has marksman from the start, but lacks the specials of other weapons.
- improved several upgrades of the other weapons - for example the javelin will no receive markmanship
- melee and ranged weapons now get simple names, which change which each upgrade (necessary for 1.13)
- every unit of your side has free movement, except during fights
- all units will be teleported into the arena when a fight begins (only team members, not survivors)
- there are several wandering npcs
- added two new missions (darkmission)
- added new scenario with 2 potential secret endings
- added three new endings (black guard F, free gladiator G, secret S)
- new npcs for decoration or function
- added love story (kilma which can influence some changes in endings)
- added a mysterious bloodmage with unique selling options
- added the Witchilante, beside selling the mysterious ratburger he sells 4 faction-free monsters to join your fighting squad
- ratburgers and heal-potions now can be used to heal allies
- skills with weaponspecials can be used in the improved helpmenu - for example giving any weapon berserk or taking it away and so on
- heroes now have an own amla path instead of evolving
- you can now recall your friends from the first fighting scenario (if they survived)
- you can no longer do the rat mission for both factions
- you can no longer exploit flasks, chests and backpacks in the farm
- changed ending - less messages, but still a good overview over your deeds
- changed future pathes and added new ones - still it might be that you don't get one - in that case please contact me
- overworked and corrected many texts (there is still work to be done)
- improved code to be less buggy (not everywhere unfortunately)
- added new monsters to the random arena round
- the random arena rounds will now spawn random groups of enemies, the maximum of enemies have been reduced, potential rewards are higher now
- added pictures for rat faction
- added portraits for wolves
- got rid of the old avatar
- increased prices
- solved a bug considering the above map, there was a tile, which caused a problem to load the map
- added many labels

---------------------

Version 0.7

- maps for the additional levels after ending

o The Cave map (done)
o The Shaft (alone and team version)
o The Farm (side mission)

- Zombieending with Zombie Amla - yup - zombies learn fast these days.
- different unique monsters for the arena (around 10 unique monsters)
- scenarios for additional ending: Escape A, Escape B, Escape C, Escape D, Escape E, Escape G (Zombieending)
- Selling system (Sell your weapon to buy a new one.)
- graphics (new/old avatar, dicedesk)
- dicegame
- upgradeable crew
- fourth teammember
- two important bugfixes for arenamod
- more flexible shopsystem (based on shop macro of strange legacy)
- infinite arenarounds after the 21 normal rounds
- right click helpmenu allowing you to check inventory, stats and review missions

---------------------

Version 0.651:

- 7 additional upgrades (4 upgrades melee, 3 upgrades ranged)
- 3 shields (check bugs)
- sell system for the shields
- 7 more rounds
- first attack and last breath for arena enemies
- outsourced shop and arena events
- added 3 treasures and one treasure chest
- healing fluid (heals you when you are wounded)
- prints such as kills necessary to win a round, number of round ...
- fight sound (my voice)
- 3 monsters from five fates
- added giant rat (for versions of 1.8. that dont support it)

Known bugs:
- the shields seems just to rise your first resistance (got to recheck that)
- the arena event seems to be a little buggy when fighting the same enemies twice, as the macro adds your already killed monsters of that type
- cuttle fish (should be solved)

---------------------

Version 0.61:

Fixed a nasty reputation bug. The reputation for the guards fraction lowered when finishing the missions for the guards - well that was not intended.
I mixed that up and when testing I must have kind overseen it, what a pity. Its solved now!

---------------------

Version 0.6:

Sorry as it is getting to much for one update here now the next version. I will proably upload it tomorrow:

contains:

- 7 more rounds (Berserker and Special Rounds --> done)
- 3 missions for the guards and thiefs fraction
- added a fraction and reputation system
- hiring more members + ability to heal those members
- more finalpoints
- two powerful abilities can be learned
- map changes - shortcut from arena to main room
- added a second well (changed well concept it will heal and (just) cure all of your units now)
- the strength potion has been replaced by a healing potion, that allows you to heal and unpoison a unit for 15 GP
- and yes - hired units can now buy upgrades for armors, flasks and healing fluids (there is still a tiny scroll bug, because the speaker is still your hero unit)

- Bugfixes: Zombie Spawn Bug (it wasnt a bug, it was a feature)
- Attackable Guards and Traders are now invincible - i figured out a nice solution - you will see
- Trying to kill a guard or let a trader fataly wounded will lead to a loss of reputation for both fractions

Version 0.5.1:

- changed fog to no, which should reduce the nasty discovering of units, thats stops the movement ...

Version 0.5:

- uploaded and done
- bugfixes

Solutions:
You can use these solutions for your own scenarios, after all a lot of people helped me to create them and after all without WML this wouldnt be existing.

Different storylines are pretty easy it works like this:
My question is - can it be done in annother way - or can i specify the difficulty - that its not called "hard".

Code: Select all

#ifdef EASY
        [part]
            story=_ "Thief Introduction: There are times of great wealth and times of hunger. You know the hunger well. It followed you through your entire live, controlled your actions and your fate. But you were quick and you learned fast. Your nimble fingers helped you in these hard times and you managed to steal several purses. But you were always dreaming of getting out of the slums, so you waited for your opportunity. Than you heard rumors about this strange warehouse, containing loads of valuable items. You gave it a try."
            background=story/Trapped_1.png
        [/part]
        #endif

#ifdef HARD
        [part]
            story=_ "Footpad Introduction: There are times of great wealth and times of hunger. You know the hunger well. It followed you through your entire live, controlled your actions and your fate. You learned to take punches and you became bigger and stronger. After beating up any kid that opposed you, you even managed to become the head of a little gang. Skilled with both the club and the sling, you always waited for an opportunity to leave the slums. Than you heard rumors about this strange warehouse, containing loads of valuable items. You gave it a try.  "
            background=story/Trapped_2.png
        [/part]
        #endif

Mission Concept

The idea behind this to create a simple variable called mission. Lets call it mission4. When the mission4 is A than the quest hasnt been started. When the quest is started the mission4 variable will be changed to B, when the quest is solved than the variable will be C. But you dont have to stop there. You can continue to D and make more missions possible with one variable. All you need is a sheet of paper, a little bit planning and fantasy.

The mission4 and mission5 are used to realize the guards and thieves missions. There are several missions created with this variable.

Faction Concept/Reputation

Thats pretty easy, if you know how variables work. You have to define the variable for the reputation of each faction (fraction whatever).
With the following macros you can influence these variables:

+ 100 points
{VARIABLE_OP thiefrep add 100}

- 100 points
{VARIABLE_OP thiefrep sub 100}

It works fine.

Arena Concept

Your character gets to a special field, which is the entrance of an arena. He will move inside the arena and the door will closed. The door however will just open, if you killed all enemies inside. This is done with this code:
Spoiler:
Invicible Concept

If you want to make a unit invincible you can simply add a last breath event, that heals your unit. This is good for cheating :D.
Spoiler:

Stealing

Thiefs have the ability to steal during talks. Its a "passive ability". It works the same way as the different storylines. As you see above you can just ask if somebody plays as "easy" or thief. Its easier than to use a variable.

#ifdef EASY
        [message]
            speaker=narrator
            message= _ "Using your amazing talent you manage to steal the guards purse!"
        [/message]
        [gold]
                        side=1
                        amount=100
                    [/gold]

#endif

The Store:

Well, thanks very much to the authors of the collosseum and the developer inventor of this general store. If you want to create an own store - you should check the scenario collosseum and read through the source code. :whistle: My store is based on this source - please be gentle :whistle: .

However - if you think about a store - IT SHOULD CONTAIN THINGS! Such as weapons, Shields, Armors and may flasks. So I placed several options for buying "new" attacks - weapons. Simply copy and extend it, if you want to use it, it should work (hopefully :lol2: ). One big drawback of my shop concept is the use of variables, in the way I do. As far as my tests went on, i did not figured out how to outsource this shop in a macro - it wont work, because you can not change the variables in the way I do.

The Trainer Shop - allows to teach you new skills
Spoiler:
The Weapon Store (additonal attacks and upgrades) - This one is a cleaned version, without this extra nested while loop.
If your character buys a weapon the variable hasweapon turns to yes -> that means he can not buy any more weapons.
So you can not buy more than one weapon and you have to decide what weapon to take.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Heindal on March 12th, 2022, 3:05 pm, edited 19 times in total.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Trapped

Post by Velensk »

The advice given to all people new to WML is to look at examples in UMC that has already been made. This will offer you a much wider veriety of examples than could possibly be added to the wiki with coherant organisation at much less effort from the people who work on it.

Also, WML questions are supposed to go in the WML workshop even if they are WML questions of the sort you are asking. This forum is more for issues of campaign/scenario design and a place to put feedback/announcments.

EDIT: Also, if you're going to have all that code in your messages be sure to use the

tag.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks Velesnk for your feedback and your advice.

I added the code tags. We will see if there are any comments when the beta is released, so this thread isn´t completely off topic.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I was about to throw my laptop out of the window, when realizing that I had to change a lot of things to make the campaign runable under 1.8 version.
There were several things like mapparts i could not use in 1.8 and finally giant rats - an important part of my campaign - are not available in 1.8.

So my regrets - I will make a 1.8 compatible version later.
The actual version is tested under 1.9.7 and should be bugfree - that took me days! Thanks for everybody here in this great forum for the help and hopefully you will like this. You should play it with 1.9.7 or higher.

Game help:

During the game you can buy 4 melee weapons, 3 ranged weapons, 8 different skills (2 each for the level of difficulty) and different flasks and armor upgrades. Please note - i also placed some cheat items - that dont have a purpose but that will grant you an achivement. Choose your weapons wisely and talk to both senior gladiators and the group of thieves. That will help you. Please note, even if I place labels, there are a lot of secrets to discover around that dont have a label tag. In your first fight - you should also reconsider to retreat ... you will see what I mean.

There are four ways to escape your prison and the maximum of points you can get is around 900 or so. Please dont post your points or your titles here, otherwise this thread will be spammed. If you should discover mean bugs, grammar problems (which is most likely) it would be nice to report them. Thanks for reading this and in advance - thank you.

I also need help with uploading this to the campaign server. Thats why I place the campaign as an attachment here. Help would be nice - as far as I know I did everything right :-(, but it would not work.

The next update will contain, german translation (after all I am mothertongue), a lovestory, the hiring of more gladiators, 14 more rounds in the arena, shields and additional equipment, hopefully additional levels - that allow you to finish the game with a unique level and getting even more achivements (hurray). That will take me a while.

If I shouldn´t have added Velensk to my tribute list, thank you very much for your help so far.

Kind regards and have fun

Heindal

EDIT:

Please note ... if you want to use the campaign, you should copy it to "\data\campaigns". Placing Trapped to "userdata\data\add-ons" will not work.
The Scenario has been uploaded to the wesnoth server and also receives some minor bug changes - there more pictures displayed at the end scenario.
Attachments
Trapped.zip
This is version 0.5 Betaversion of the Campaign Trapped
(121.76 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Last edited by Heindal on August 29th, 2011, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
AFAICS, your .pbl file miss some items: a pass code, and your email address at least. Check the wiki for an example or PM me.

LS
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Actually, a _server.pbl.txt won't be parsed by anything. Besides, you must not include your passphrase / mail address in an archive you upload here, so it may be that you do have them locally. If not, a passphrase will be generated automatically.
The _server.pbl (notice the extension, and remove the .txt) is used to actually publish the add-on on the add-on server, to make it downloadable in-game. To do this, you connect to the add-on server ingame and select "Publish add-on Trapped" (at the very bottom).

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks Crendgrim, unfortunately my OS was hidding the txt extension. Unfortunately after renaming it, it still didn't work. I will try it later and will ruin my evening now, to make the game 1.8 compatible.

Please note ... if you want to use the campaign above, you should copy it to "\data\campaigns". Placing Trapped to "userdata\data\add-ons" will not work - you will get an error message, that the first scenario is not existing - well sorry for that I will change it asap!
Last edited by Heindal on August 29th, 2011, 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I ran wmlindent on your code to make it look nicer, and wmllint to get as many error messages as possible. What was not automatically converted by wmllint I included in a file called wmllint.txt which you should have a look at.

I'm now also able to publish your addon; however, I didn't look before running the tools. Well, here you go; have fun. :)

Crend

EDIT:
I just saw that wmllint did some strange this to some macros...

message=_ _  _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "icons/boots_elven.png" "Done"}
You'll have to fix that up yourself, I'm sorry. :oops:
Attachments
Trapped.zip
ran wmlindent + wmllint
(126.99 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for your effort --> Well I will fix the Intending later ... you do not have to do this.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Its now available under 1.8.4, still I can not upload it in 1.9.7 - but the same pbl worked for the 1.8.4 file. Giant Rats are replaced by goblins, I tried to cover that with some lame jokes - I hope that they are not to lame, though.

EDIT: The scenario is now available for 1.9.7 --> my problems were caused by misreading. The 1.9.7 uses the mygames path in the usersettings. I just changed the file in the wesnoth folder, but not in the mygames folder. However - this worked in 1.8.4.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

This list is more for myself and my organisation, but if you can support me with an idea or wml help, this would be apreciated.
I will edit and correct this thread.

To Do List Next Version 0.7:

- improvement of the future path with some nested if loops
goal: at least one correct future path, after finishing the game.

- love story

- dice game

- maps for the additional levels after ending

o The Cave map (done)
o The Shaft (alone and team version)
o Meet the Death (?)

- scenarios for additional ending
Escape A, Escape B, Escape C

- correct intending

- Shield Equipment
(concept = done, realisation = not done)
- 4th upgrade for melee
(concept = done, realisation = not done)
- more differences and monsters between easy, hard and nightmare

- 7 more rounds (and overwork of the old rounds adding more flaire and talking)
- more chances to use the lockpick, some thief only ...
- graphics (well not in the next version - that means done)

Version 0.6:

Sorry as it is getting to much for one update here now the next version. I will proably upload it tomorrow:

contains:

- 7 more rounds (Berserker and Special Rounds --> done)
- 3 missions for the guards and thiefs fraction
- added a fraction and reputation system
- hiring more members + ability to heal those members
- more finalpoints
- two powerful abilities can be learned
- map changes - shortcut from arena to main room
- added a second well (changed well concept it will heal and (just) cure all of your units now)
- the strength potion has been replaced by a healing potion, that allows you to heal and unpoison a unit for 15 GP
- and yes - hired units can now buy upgrades for armors, flasks and healing fluids (there is still a tiny scroll bug, because the speaker is still your hero unit)

- Bugfixes: Zombie Spawn Bug (it wasnt a bug, it was a feature)
- Attackable Guards and Traders are now invincible - i figured out a nice solution - you will see
- Trying to kill a guard or let a trader fataly wounded will lead to a loss of reputation for both fractions

Version 0.5.1:

- changed fog to no, which should reduce the nasty discovering of units, thats stops the movement ...

Version 0.5:

- uploaded and done
- bugfixes
Last edited by Heindal on September 11th, 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
You're my first victim in feedback-thirsty writers club :lol2: .

First of all: two problems in last scenario.
- The map "04_thetrap.map" don't load in Wesnoth 1.9.4 because a "Ket" terrain code which is illegal. Maybe you used some custom terrain code here (it's the guards sleeping room). If it is a new Wesnoth terrain code, you should tell which version to use.
- The [move_unit] going back from the cemetary fires an "illegal WML" error (but maybe it's because I already killed the guard).

Things which really bored me:
- Introduction is too long. The only interesting scenario is the last one and it's a long way to it.
- Fog and map size in the last scenario: it's not really interesting to spend five turns from the arena to the healing well, particularly when, because the fog, you're always interrupted with "friendly units in sight". I know one can disable it in preferences, but I think you could get rid of fog, because it adds nothing.
- The "story" introductions.
- The same messages popping endlessly when going to an already visited place. The well, for instance, needs not to be described more then once.

Things I liked:
- the dialogs.
- some riddles.

Now to more general opinions, just my two cents on them... :)
There is a lot of texts in your campaign, far too much. There's nothing wrong in telling a story, and your is well written, but the point is you've nothing to tell !
I explain: the story of a guy trapped and compelled to do things against his will or his liking is a common place or a cliche. To make it an interesting story, you should put some surprising chapters (something like meeting the princess), not only keep on repeating there's no escape. It's obvious there's one, and you've only to earn enough gold to find the way.
That's why your long introduction looks long and boring: we already read that in many books or movies. So, if you've nothing to tell, don't tell or show it (show your hero crossing the chasm for instance instead of writing it).
The second point is related: if your story is weak, then you must focus on unusual details (visual and events) to catch the player interest or submit him an original challenge. IMHO, there are good ideas in your work (and in your projects), but the fights in arena could be improved. Here again, they're common place to an experienced player.
Actually, I think it's very difficult to create scenarios which both tell an interesting story and provide unusual things which retain player attention. Maybe it's better to focus on one goal only at a time.

That's all... Hope this helps !
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Well thanks for the feedback.

The fog thing is true, I will try to change that. About the 1.9.4 movement thing - I have to test that in 1.8.4, however it works on 1.9.7.
My hint, told by one of those senior gladiators, is that you dont need to go to the healing well, you can simply improve your armor. Lateron there will be more options to heal your character.

As there will be 21 rounds, where you have to fight against entire armys, invisible enemies and liches, I think there is much you havent seen before, but I know that I have to overwork the arena rounds, such as adding earthquakes when the troll enters the arena, or nasty comments of your opponents. But that takes time.

The story thing, if you play different characters there are different stories. Such as that you are beat up on nightmare while you are getting/stealing money when playing as easy, same about the skills and the missions later. The idea behind the story, is that you create your own stories and you own character, based on what you see in the game. For example try dying in the arena. On the other hand, I like a story to develop itself, those three introduction scenarios are my way to develop the story. Thats my way and I will keep it.
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

When you get your "clean the zombies" assignment, as long as Jake (the zombie leader) is alive, a new flock of zombies (led by a new Jake) will spawn each time you stop at location 8,6.

By the way, you can still buy equipment at a merchant who's been killed (and zombified!) by Jake or one of his zombies. :o
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks! Yes that is true!

I knew these two bugs (I did not really see them as bugs, but they are nasty for players :) ).
So far I let them in, because I was to lazy (sorry :P ) to fix them. If your game is screwed by that bug, you should go back to annother round. You should also try to kill Jake, because any zombie around him will collaps if you have killed him and the zombie will set to killed and the event wont fire anymore.

Solutions (for myself):

The zombie thing - its the same with the rats. If you return to the point were the rats spawn, they spawn as long as two of them are killed.
I should add annother variable, to solve that problem. :hmm:

The trader is based on an event ..., if I add an last breath to the traders, what i know trader1alive=yes, which turns to traderalive=no, you shouldnt be able to buy in that store. Hm, I will think about it.

_____

by the way at the moment I realized the hiring of meetlings as well as this fraction thing. You can than hire three units for each fraction - guards or thiefs. This is based on the fraction reputation (your reputation can be increased for solving missions). It works so far and thanks to the macro to call a loyal unit it was very easy to realize it. we will see.