About the Elvish & Dwarvish units.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:basically, if you don't think it makes sense, say why, don't say why we shouldn't do it because "it takes up time". it is only taking up time because you want to argue. stop filibustering!
I say we shouldn't do it because
A) I don't like it
B) It would be inconvenient
C) It would cause unforeseen trouble
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
silene

Post by silene »

turin wrote:basically, if you don't think it makes sense, say why, don't say why we shouldn't do it because "it takes up time". it is only taking up time because you want to argue. stop filibustering!
No, it does take time. For example, did you know that the adjectives elvish and dwarvish appear more than 5000 times* in the .po files? You are clearly not the one who will fix all these broken translations, are you?
You are asking for clearance. Who are you asking for? Clearly not the project administrator since Miyo already said what he thinks about it. So I guess it must be Sirp, right?

*Yes, I didn't type it wrong, I really mean five thousand occurrences.
pg

Post by pg »

Jetryl wrote:And when that happens, we have to use Elven, because Wood Elvish and High Elvish sound really stupid, but High Elven and Wood Elven sound fine.
Wouldn't they be High Elves and Wood Elves?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

silene wrote:
No, it does take time. For example, did you know that the adjectives elvish and dwarvish appear more than 5000 times* in the .po files? You are clearly not the one who will fix all these broken translations, are you?
You are asking for clearance. Who are you asking for? Clearly not the project administrator since Miyo already said what he thinks about it. So I guess it must be Sirp, right?

*Yes, I didn't type it wrong, I really mean five thousand occurrences.
i may not understand the issue (probably not), but wouldn't find/replace work, and just replace all occurrances of "elvish" in game with "elven", and "dwarvish" with "dwarven"?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I preferred the term 'Elvish' when I chose to use it instead of 'Elven', and I still prefer it now. I don't see any reason to change.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
silene

Post by silene »

turin wrote:i may not understand the issue (probably not), but wouldn't find/replace work, and just replace all occurrances of "elvish" in game with "elven", and "dwarvish" with "dwarven"?
No it wouldn't work. First there are some cases where you don't want to do the replacement:

Code: Select all

&elvish-captain.png,Rebels
we have to take a road near the elvish forest
you could cross elvish lands safely
elvish_casualties
data/units/Elvish_Avenger.cfg:91
and so on. So you can't simply do an automatic replacement, you need human interaction. But it's only a matter of a bit more than 500 occurrences in the data/ directory, so let's say you are right and it doesn't take that much time. Now what about the translations in the po/ directory?

You first need to generate a list of all unfuzzy* translation (how? no idea, a complex perl or python script should be able to do it, it is not impossible). Update the .pot files, update the .po files, as always. You have to hope that gettext will simply fuzzy the strings. If it does not, all is off and there will be thousands of translations to redo by hand. So let's suppose gettext was smart enough to be able to fuzzy the strings. Then you take your list that says which translations were not fuzzy among the 5000 occurrences, and you unfuzzy the corresponding strings (one more time it is scriptable, hard but not impossible).

In fact, it wouldn't even work. There is absolutely no guarantee: first that gettext will fuzzy the strings, and second (and that's the most critical point) that gettext will see that the old translation still applies to the new description. So the 5000 occurrences will still need to be reviewed to verify that gettext didn't suddenly mix all the translations when fuzzying them. So in fact there is no way to automatize the possible conversion of these occurrences and they will need to be done by hand. But I may be missing an obvious solution (other than doing it manually I mean).

* If you don't know what "fuzzy" means in the context of a gettext translation, read gettext documentation.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:I preferred the term 'Elvish' when I chose to use it instead of 'Elven', and I still prefer it now. I don't see any reason to change.
So we stick with Elvish, Dwarvish, Orcish, etc. the old decision remains.

- Miyo
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

This is so frustraiting...

Elfs--Elves--Elven--Elvish--Elfish (which is right???)
Dwarvs--Dwarves--Dwarvish--Dwarfs--Dwarfes--Dwarfish (which is right???)

Iam having truble with these... :S
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Circon

Post by Circon »

Mkgego wrote:This is so frustraiting...

Elfs--Elves--Elven--Elvish--Elfish (which is right???)
Dwarvs--Dwarves--Dwarvish--Dwarfs--Dwarfes--Dwarfish (which is right???)

Iam having truble with these... :S
Elfin, Dwarven. :roll: :P :twisted: :lol: