Will There Be Wesnoth for PS VITA ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The-Eldar

Will There Be Wesnoth for PS VITA ?

Post by The-Eldar »

Hi, im playing wesnoth for a while and i feel the absence of portableness. (no iphone for me)
I think vita can be a great platform for wesnoth with its features and cheap/free dev kits.
I was wondering there is a plan for vita release, and if there isn't, please make it happen :D
uncleshelby

Re: Will There Be Wesnoth for PS VITA ?

Post by uncleshelby »

I could be wrong, but I doubt there is one in development. Wesnoth has not been made for any other portable gaming systems, and I doubt it will.

Edit: iPod doesn't count!
Last edited by uncleshelby on August 20th, 2011, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timshel
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Unless there’s some third party working on it already, no, we don’t have the resources nor the interest in porting Wesnoth to non-PC platforms.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

uncleshelby wrote:I could be wrong, but I doubt there is one in development. Wesnoth has not been made for any other portable gaming systems, and I doubt it will.

Edit: iPod doesn't count!
Wrong, there is Wesnoth for the OpenPandora.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

shadowmaster wrote:Unless there’s some third party working on it already, no, we don’t have the resources nor the interest in porting Wesnoth to non-PC platforms.
It was ported to the Macs compatible with the Mac OS. Mac is not a PC. Not trying to be annoying, just saying that it's entirely possible, just not probable.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:It was ported to the Macs compatible with the Mac OS. Mac is not a PC. Not trying to be annoying, just saying that it's entirely possible, just not probable.
Yes, you are being annoying. At the source level there’s not a huge amount of differences between the Mac OS X build and the Linux build; mainly some platform integration business to make Wesnoth look pretty in a Mac OS X environment. For a non-PC platform like iOS you need many more changes to account for more complicated limitations and lacks (not only in software, but also in hardware).

For my purposes, Mac desktops and laptops are PCs, especially now that they use the same instruction architecture. If you want to get pedantic, this isn’t the correct place for that, but note that Mac OS and Mac OS X are two different platforms as well. We don’t support the former.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

To complete upon what shadowmaster said, PC=Personnal Computer, which is basically a computer of any OS, although it has somewhat derived to mean windows computer, which is erroneous. It is somewhat like how united-statians usurped the word "americans" for themselves, while there are non-united-statian americans.

Sorry if this is too off-topic.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Apologies for the use of the technical PC. Didn't realize you meant any OS.

Sorry for off-topicness
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Is OpenPandora really a "portable gaming system"? It looks more like a very small PC. (by Shadowmaster's meaning of PC.)

If I'm wrong, then my bad.
Timshel
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

uncleshelby wrote:Is OpenPandora really a "portable gaming system"? It looks more like a very small PC. (by Shadowmaster's meaning of PC.)

If I'm wrong, then my bad.
Clicky!

From the front page: "The smallest portable PC for gaming, browsing and remote administration."

So, it's kinda both. Ultimately? PC. When you Google it, the little blurb says this: "OpenPandora.org - The official site of the OpenSource Pandora Gaming console handheld."

In fact, there was a picture of Wesnoth on it. :P It generates images of different games on a picture of the PC, and that's one of them...
EDIT: From the "About the Pandora" page: "The Pandora is a mixture between a PC and a gaming console. That's why it has gaming controls (Buttons, DPad and analogue nubs)."
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

And, to add to that, I've seen Ivanovic's OpenPandora. It's definitely a gaming machine. Good one, too.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

The OpenPandora version of Wesnoth is not a real port.
Since the OpenPandora comes with a Linux as default operating system (and I don't think there is another one to choice)
it's basically just another compile for a different architecture.

I think that porting Wesnoth to the PS VITA will be much more work.
It starts with the question if libSDL is available for that platform.