The North Wind (Deoran rides again!)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deusite
Translator

The North Wind (Deoran rides again!)

Post by Deusite »

For the nostalgist in you:
aelius wrote:Wesnoth's army was occupied fighting Mal Ravanal in the East, but there were whisperings of an Orcish attack in the north. Konrad II sent Deoran, now an experienced rider and commander, with a small band of knights to hold off the Orcs...

I have posted the North Wind on the campaign server. It is only a preview for now (one scenario), but it will ultimately be a 6 scenario sequel to the South Guard. Unlike the South Guard, you should probably only play the North Wind if you're fairly familiar with the world of Wesnoth. There's little help offered, and it's rather unforgiving, but hopefully makes up for that with a good story.

* Note that the day/night cycle is very different (and 24 turns long, with each turn representing an hour)
* There is no turn limit. Everything is event driven in the campaign.
* You cannot recruit units. Neither can the enemy.
Only five years ago now... and yes, there's still only one scenario (I just don't want to be trapped in development hell forever)

This is probably the Ultimate Campaign Necromancy, but even so nobody has done a campaign in this way. (maybe that was for a reason :P)

I might oppose a few things; there will probably be more than six scenarios, because I don't think that's enough for a good story arc and just to spice things up, there will be multiple campaign branches.

I won't give away too much, because of the nature of the campaign, but I'll tell you the Northern Alliance will be heavily involved.

I might resort to recruitment at some point.
Bugs and Stuff to Do
  • Deoran is granted invisibility at level two in TSG (doesn't affect TNW)
  • Bones can be generated in water and on the well
  • Orcs can't take over villages for their side (I know how to do this)
  • More dialogue for going through the encampment
  • Conjur up some better graphics (oh I wish)
  • Muffin
Verily it would be quite nice to tell me how many of your troops die (including allies). I can get through it on the hardest setting with a dead bowman and nothing else.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Gwynnedrion

Re: The North Wind (Deoran rides again!)

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I investigate the camp but nothing is there...
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Spoiler:
This was an issue the first time round, I might have to make the camp easier to investigate.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
boru

Post by boru »

Yeah I had a bit of trouble finding it too but it's right there. I honestly don't think you need to "fix" it.

This one was fun - I like the idea of a sequel to TSG. Deoran hardly looks "old and hale" though. I like the updated portrait and I'm glad to see it's being used. I'd change the story description though.

* Looks like there's another scenario file in there, but it ends after s1. Was that intentional?

* At first I thought you had a new unit called Goblin Ambusher, but they turn out to be just the usual suspects.

* Did you mean "Deoran is granted invisibility at level two in TSG (doesn't affect TNW)" or "Deoran is granted invisibility at level two in TNW (doesn't affect TSG)"?

* Is Muffin a "stuff to do" or a "bug"?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Yeah, my bad ;) and I liked it. It was a fun but not too hard level to play. Perfect starting level so to say.

mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Bug: Theorem died and I did not loose.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

0.0.2 is on the server. This fixes the death of Theorem not making you lose, and inadvertently fixes a bug I forgot existed. Deoran is now "hale and noble" (he should be 35-36 in the campaign according to the TSG unit descriptions, so yar). This custom terrain tiles now show up in the editor, which is also a bug I forgot about. :P

And the server image is prettier.

I assure you, Muffin is never a bug.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Well, so far I did it ok, although I lost few units on the camp, anyway, the main problem I has was to see the ford and think oh cool, a ford, let's move in just to try if something happens, and so it did, it made appear a nice bunch of orcs, but i has already moved most of my units, so i had no time to reorganize (things that happen on ambushes anyway xD), there i lost some units(before none)[Maybe my fault anyway...] I liked how it works anyway, so it seems ok for me.
boru

Post by boru »

Thinking about this ford thing ... it is something like a "tomato surprise," so maybe you'd want the trigger to be a random location instead of always the same hex ... just to enhance the replay-ability of it.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

I agree with boru there, sounds nice...
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I'm already looking forward for the second :)

Sir_HidesAlot

Post by Sir_HidesAlot »

It's been a year I think, is anyone still updating / continuing this campaign ?
meep
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Sir_HidesAlot wrote:It's been a year I think, is anyone still updating / continuing this campaign ?
Note: If a topic has remained inactive for a long time, then leave it as it is. Do not try to resurrect it.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium