Who was winning? - replay analysis please

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CheeseLord

Who was winning? - replay analysis please

Post by CheeseLord »

Hi guys,
Played my first ladder game in ageees - been trying to get back into playing Wesnoth. Unfortunately, I was forced to concede as I had to go (I'm really not a fan of deadbeats, so really annoyed with myself), but after viewing the replay, I'm just wondering who you thought had the advantage (if anyone did). I personally thought it was shaping up to be a pretty closely fought game, but I've been out of practice for so long, no clue whether I'm right or not. I've personally identified a few mistakes myself, but if anyone also has the time to analyse my replay and point out any obvious mistakes, I'd be grateful. As a follower of Day9 and his Dailies (Starcraft 2 stuff for anyone who hasn't heard of him), I've sort of compiled a report of my observations below.
Spoiler:
Thanks in advance!! :D
Attachments
2p_-_The_Freelands_replay_skb.gz
CheeseLord vs skb
Knalgan vs Rebels
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Who was winning? - replay analysis please

Post by Velensk »

I’ll comment on your general comments first then go on a turn by turn through the scenario

-How you play offensively as knalgans is very dependant on what you enemy is, and yes, in general knalgans are a bit more defensive (unless they go hodor).

-A streamlined village grab is very important in almost every circumstance.

-It depends. If it slows down your village grabbing it’s never worth it, however in general saving some gold can let you adapt to what your enemy is and what they are doing without any disadvantage save the ability to exert pressure earlier. The upkeep save is at most a turn in general though as villages cancel out upkeep and once you have your full allotment of villages you should have enough upkeep relief for your inital recruit (except possibly as northerners on a low village map)

Turn 1: Much heavier on slow dwarves than I would recomend for a inital recuit vs a random opponent. More griffons our outlaws will help you get into position easier as well as help prevent you from being outmanuvered.

Turn 2: Your opponent would be leaving himself wide open for a number of chaotic rushes however since you are dwarf heavy you will not be able to take advantage of this.

Turn 3: No Comment

Turn 4: Footpad strikes me as an odd choice against rebels (no units you can safely throw stones at without retal) though I suppose you could us a scout on that flank.

Turn 5: The problem with the poacher move is that it let him attack you from cover at no expense. If you were bound and determined to cause trouble that night (which would probably not have been a good idea as you had no real advantage wit h that army comp then you might have been able to make it somewhat costly by positioning the eastern footpad where it could steal the village if he stepped off to attack you.

Turn 6: That combat result is about what I would have anticipated given the situation. I don’t think the ulfserker was a mistake as it does force rebels to play carefully with their more dangerous units.

turn 7: Personally, I think the footpad move was a mistake. It may draw a few units away from the conflict but it’s still essentially a free kill for him and in all honesty at that angle if you’d just retreated those units wouldn’t have been in a position any worse for you than the one they’re in now. The thunderer in the west needed to not expose himself if you wanted to hold your villages in the coming turns.

I have some issues with your opponents moves which I won’t bother going into right now.

Turn 8: With just slightly different positioning you could have saved the ulfskerker and still used it.

Turn 9: No Comment

Turn 10: I don’t feel that you were trading advantageously on the right. Two units doomed to certain death for chances at one kill and a village steal that would last a couple turns at best and misc damage.

As a related note: when trading units, is that like in chess where the person who kills last gets the square, in wesnoth the person who kills last gets to keep the experiance points.

Turn 11: No Comment

Turn 12: No Comment

Turn 13: No Comment

Turn 14: Unlike in starcraft, it generally isn’t worth sacrificing units for information even if they are cheap (and dwareven fighters arn’t). Your tactical decision on the right did not turn out well but it was a bad situation no matter how you played it.

Overall: With decent luck you might have been able to achieve a even situation shortly after you left but I will say that I think that on even odds he would have had you beat earlier. I would also point out that leveled up units eat up more upkeep and if you couldn't hold all your villages after that he'd begin to outnumber you even more making it even harder to keep them off your vilages.

Your opening was brutally slow, essentailly allowing him an extra elvish fighter worth of money over you about. You recruited mainly slow dwarves which can work against rebels but it will pretty much guarentee them the initative (though even if you had managed to regroup more gracefully from your first failed push it is doubtful that an outlaw heavy build would have given you the power to take initative). I did feel however that you could have used either thieves for their damage or poachers to deny him forest hexes for good effect here.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Ahhh, thanks! An extremely insightful reply :D

I think that I still suffer from an irrational phobia of gryphons. Despite their usefulness, they seem ridiculously overpriced, and generally pretty weak against any archers. Especially when you compare them However, I can see how more outlaws at the start could help my village grabbing.
Velensk wrote:Turn 10: I don’t feel that you were trading advantageously on the right. Two units doomed to certain death for chances at one kill and a village steal that would last a couple turns at best and misc damage.
On turn 10 on the right flank, with the fog of war, I assumed he had quite a few units ready to march up on the right, and I sought to delay this push as my right flank was dangerously weak. In hindsight, I guess my right flank would have been ok had those two sacrificed units retreated to bolster the defences there.
Velensk wrote:Turn 14: Unlike in starcraft, it generally isn’t worth sacrificing units for information even if they are cheap (and dwareven fighters arn’t). Your tactical decision on the right did not turn out well but it was a bad situation no matter how you played it.
Point taken ;)

So in future, I should restructure my initial recruitment - less dwarves, more outlaws. I still find it difficult to use outlaws though, so I guess I'll just have to learn by losing. I also need to lose the 'scouting' concept of starcraft - units CANNOT by thrown away willy nilly.

Again, a very detailed analysis from which I've taken several pointers from!!
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
UDD

Post by UDD »

If you have some time you might want to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhmPo2UHDIc
It isn't just about dwarves or gryphons, but I think Neki demonstrates effective use of gryphons in this replay - using their mobility to his advantage (village grabbing, scouting, ZOCing etc.) and leveraging their attack by using their mobility to attack opportune targets and reinforcing where they can help.

EDIT: Oy, didn't notice it was quite a while since the last message was posted :X sorry, I don't read the forums that often :X
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?